• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    This is where there’s going to be a funny crossover among idealogical stripes.

See Obergefell v. Hodges
    Yep. This. I was celebrating the day Obergefell was decided, but for a different reason. Now that carry outside the home is a recognized right, the 14A + Obergefell precedent makes national reciprocity a slam dunk.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I don't really care how they do it. Constitutional carry would be easiest, but I don't see that happening. Not in the next couple of decades, anyway. They do have to find a way to guarantee my right to carry in every state. It is a Civil right. Again, show me another right that ends at another state's border.

Privileges and immunities.
    To be fair I can't vote in TX. There is a process that I can go though to rectify that.

I do understand your point though.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    With huge blowout wins in 2022 and 2024 we could make National Reciprocity happen. I'm not sure the courts go there anytime soon. Getting non-resident permits would definitely be on the table though.
    Big blowout elections would be great, but there’s nothing on the horizon that suggests we have a sixty-seat majority in the senate in the near future. Which means Chuck Schumer still runs the show (minus destroying the filibuster, something neither party should wish for). Just like MD going shall issue, litigation is where it’s at.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    I have already had a friend of mine in WV cal and chat with me over MD training issues regarding him getting a a non-resident permit. 16 hour training that meets MD requirements conducted in WV? Spending money on it and hoping it satisfies the requirement is making him (and I am sure a lot of others) balk at the idea. My friends reaction may be what MD hopes to accomplish with the training requirement for out of state carriers, but we shall see.
    Illinois also requires 16 hours of training for residents or non-residenpts.

However, Illinois will give you up to eight hours of credit for various NRA firearms courses you can take, or prior military experience or certain LTC classes from certain states as well.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Folks,

Dont plan on congress giving you National Reciprocity anytime soon.

Republicans will have to have control of the house, senate and presidency (Trifecta) before that will happen.

If we can get 34 states to pass constitutional carry and then have those same 34 states have a constitutional convention, then maybe we can pass a new amendment that will force constitutional carry nationwide. We have 25 now, 9 more to go!

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Big blowout elections would be great, but there’s nothing on the horizon that suggests we have a sixty-seat majority in the senate in the near future. Which means Chuck Schumer still runs the show (minus destroying the filibuster, something neither party should wish for). Just like MD going shall issue, litigation is where it’s at.

I agree, litigation is what it’s going to take to force the issue. However, if a state offers a nonresident license to carry option, the courts may decide to side with the state. If the state has no nonresident license to carry option then they might lose a reciprocity case.

The courts also may allow a State to choose between having a reciprocity program or offering nonresident LTC.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    To be fair I can't vote in TX. There is a process that I can go though to rectify that.

I do understand your point though.
    To be fair, there is nothing in the Bill of Rights that says you can. :)

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Yep. This. I was celebrating the day Obergefell was decided, but for a different reason. Now that carry outside the home is a recognized right, the 14A + Obergefell precedent makes national reciprocity a slam dunk.
    It's all just tricky because Thomas really hates the reasoning behind Obergefell.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Folks,

Dont plan on congress giving you National Reciprocity anytime soon.

Republicans will have to have control of the house, senate and presidency (Trifecta) before that will happen.

If we can get 34 states to pass constitutional carry and then have those same 34 states have a constitutional convention Convention of States, then maybe we can pass a new amendment that will force constitutional carry nationwide. We have 25 now, 9 more to go!
    LMFTFY

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is where there’s going to be a funny crossover among idealogical stripes.

See Obergefell v. Hodges
    The problem is Thomas wants that overturned, and like a few others on the court.

There is a strong argument in Obergefell (I can't remember if it was made, or it was purely on 14 grounds), also with reciprocity

Article IV, section 1 (COTUS)
    Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

So Congress can generally regulate the full and credit section. I think a good argument can be made absent congress passing a law restricting reciprocity of firearms permits/carry licenses, or recognizing marriage licenses from another state, that states should have to recognize both carry licenses and marriage licenses for gay couples.

If you argue that "those gay people don't meet the requirements to be married in my state", then at a minimum you can make the argument also that "you don't meet the requirements to have a carry permit in my state". Whether that is you aren't a resident, or you don't have sufficient training for the license requirements to be equivalent, etc.

I've got no idea where any of this is going to shake out.

I think states not issuing non-resident permits is probably riper for getting that overturned than reciprocity. IMHO, I think reciprocity is on the table, I think it'll just be harder to thread the needle on it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Self defense is a civil right.
    Sure I agree. Just saying you said which civil rights. Some states consider things like not discriminating due to sexual orientation as being a civil right. Some states disagree that it is a civil right.

Right now, some states still disagree that self defense is a civil right. SCOTUS just said they disagree. The court also just rolled things back and said women don't have a right to choose. That had been a civil right up until a couple of weeks ago.

So what civil rights ALL citizens and residents of the US have are at the whims of Congress, SCOTUS decisions, and 3/4ths of the states by dint of changing the constitution.

Some states citizens and residents have more civil rights than citizens and residents of other states as anything not specifically enumerated by Congress, SCOTUS decisions or the constitution are at the whim of the states. California for example has it very specifically codified that their citizens have an expansive right to privacy. No other state (almost no other state?) actually has that in law or their constitution. And Alito, et al just rolled back judicial interpretations to a right to privacy specifically in the 14th which puts in jeopardy all prior decisions that the court has interpreted in the 14th for current civil rights that apply to everyone, but could soon be found to not be civil rights. It is a change from prior courts that have expanded or found new civil rights, rather than rolling back rights.

Dobbs wasn't simply saying Roe was wrongly decided and women don't have a right to have an abortion and that the states were free to regulate abortions. It specifically called out the right to privacy found in the 14th amendment by prior courts was a wrong interpretation of the 14th amendment. Thus, there is no right to privacy. Alito went on to say this doesn't mean the court will revisit or change prior decisions based on a right to privacy that he just said doesn't exist. Thomas came out swinging and said "yes we will and we should overturn all that other stuff*" (*but only the stuff I want overturned. Not actually like ALL the stuff that was founded on an interpretation of a right to privacy)

I realize I am getting in to way more than "self defense is a civil right". I think the court is going to keep expanding that and rolling back things that infringe on that. Just think the court is also going the wrong direction on many other things and is poised to start rolling back a LOT of other things we currently consider civil rights (possibly even back through the civil rights act if they want to change out the interpretation of the commerce clause).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sure I agree. Just saying you said which civil rights. Some states consider things like not discriminating due to sexual orientation as being a civil right. Some states disagree that it is a civil right.

Right now, some states still disagree that self defense is a civil right. SCOTUS just said they disagree. The court also just rolled things back and said women don't have a right to choose. That had been a civil right up until a couple of weeks ago.

So what civil rights ALL citizens and residents of the US have are at the whims of Congress, SCOTUS decisions, and 3/4ths of the states by dint of changing the constitution.

Some states citizens and residents have more civil rights than citizens and residents of other states as anything not specifically enumerated by Congress, SCOTUS decisions or the constitution are at the whim of the states. California for example has it very specifically codified that their citizens have an expansive right to privacy. No other state (almost no other state?) actually has that in law or their constitution. And Alito, et al just rolled back judicial interpretations to a right to privacy specifically in the 14th which puts in jeopardy all prior decisions that the court has interpreted in the 14th for current civil rights that apply to everyone, but could soon be found to not be civil rights. It is a change from prior courts that have expanded or found new civil rights, rather than rolling back rights.

Dobbs wasn't simply saying Roe was wrongly decided and women don't have a right to have an abortion and that the states were free to regulate abortions. It specifically called out the right to privacy found in the 14th amendment by prior courts was a wrong interpretation of the 14th amendment. Thus, there is no right to privacy. Alito went on to say this doesn't mean the court will revisit or change prior decisions based on a right to privacy that he just said doesn't exist. Thomas came out swinging and said "yes we will and we should overturn all that other stuff*" (*but only the stuff I want overturned. Not actually like ALL the stuff that was founded on an interpretation of a right to privacy)

I realize I am getting in to way more than "self defense is a civil right". I think the court is going to keep expanding that and rolling back things that infringe on that. Just think the court is also going the wrong direction on many other things and is poised to start rolling back a LOT of other things we currently consider civil rights (possibly even back through the civil rights act if they want to change out the interpretation of the commerce clause).
    The elephant in the room is what the 2A clearly states, and Thomas recently wrote a little essay about.

Nothing you argued is as clear as "shall not be infringed". BGOS is still strong. I don't have to worry about whether my right to bear arms is protected by the 10th Amendment, 14th Amendment, 21st Amendment.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have already had a friend of mine in WV cal and chat with me over MD training issues regarding him getting a a non-resident permit. 16 hour training that meets MD requirements conducted in WV? Spending money on it and hoping it satisfies the requirement is making him (and I am sure a lot of others) balk at the idea. My friends reaction may be what MD hopes to accomplish with the training requirement for out of state carriers, but we shall see.

The training requirement for MD is the same in state as it is for out of state. MD will never agree to reciprocity unless forced to by a court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conaso

May 17, 2014
    Alexandria, VA
    The Conservative Senators blew it when the "deal" was being discussed. The Republicans should have countered with National Reciprocity. Missed their chance... AGAIN!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The elephant in the room is what the 2A clearly states, and Thomas recently wrote a little essay about.

Nothing you argued is as clear as "shall not be infringed". BGOS is still strong. I don't have to worry about whether my right to bear arms is protected by the 10th Amendment, 14th Amendment, 21st Amendment.

The right to keep and bear arms is explicit. Nothing could be more plain.

My recollection is that the right to privacy is "an emination" from something or other. Then the right to abortion was perceived to be within the penumbra of that emination.

Or perhaps privacy is found in a penumbra, and abortion is the emination from that, but I think the first version is correct.

Anyway, however they rationalized it, Ruth Bader Ginsburg herself thought the justification was rubbish.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

What one SCOTUS gives, another can take away. Constitution says SCOTUS is the Supreme Court. Their interpretation rules the day. No matter what. They can say green is blue, water is dry, ice is warm. And that goes.

Last edited:

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I don't really care how they do it. Constitutional carry would be easiest, but I don't see that happening. Not in the next couple of decades, anyway. They do have to find a way to guarantee my right to carry in every state. It is a Civil right. Again, show me another right that ends at another state's border.

Privileges and immunities.
    Reciprocity is easy, if a state WANTS it. They did so with automobiles. Each state's training is differenet (and boy does it show in driving abilities of some locales!). Few states have a problem with the training in other states It is mostly the attitude of those states towatrds the 2A that erffects how they view reciprocity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom