• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Knowing some States wont recognize other states Carry Permits, will the NYSRPA v Bruen ruling start a wedge issue that wil;l lead to nation requirement for reciprocity, much the way auto-licenses are held across the nation, each state having their own requirements for age and training?
    Enquiring Minds Wanna know!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think it will force reciprocity under the 14th amendment but it will take time to put states on the west coast and northeast in their place.

sks972ca

Feb 11, 2022
    Knowing some States wont recognize other states Carry Permits, will the NYSRPA v Bruen ruling start a wedge issue that wil;l lead to nation requirement for reciprocity, much the way auto-licenses are held across the nation, each state having their own requirements for age and training?
    Enquiring Minds Wanna know!
    Remember when the GOP held the White House and both houses of Congress and didn't move on interstate carry? Pepperidge Farm and I remember.

I don't see it going to nationwide carry. States can still make policy decisions that don't conflict with Bruen. If states have the right to require clinicians to show ultrasounds to pregnant women, I suppose states could require prospective CCW applicants to watch videos of a shooting victim's autopsy and to pass a test. Or make the class inconveniently long, which would have the effect of pricing some people out of it and taking some weekend-only instructors out of the market. And offer no loopholes for police/military/veterans. Note that I'm not advocating this, just seeing the wiggle room.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    With huge blowout wins in 2022 and 2024 we could make National Reciprocity happen. I'm not sure the courts go there anytime soon. Getting non-resident permits would definitely be on the table though.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    With huge blowout wins in 2022 and 2024 we could make National Reciprocity happen. I'm not sure the courts go there anytime soon. Getting non-resident permits would definitely be on the table though.
    I would think the courts need to address it soon. Reciprocity is a 2A and 14A issue. What other civil right ends at a states border?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I doubt you'll ever see it unless permitting schemes in general are considered unconstitutional.
    2A friendly states are interested in seeing their citizens be able to exercise their rights in other states.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I would think the courts need to address it soon. Reciprocity is a 2A and 14A issue. What other civil right ends at a states border?
    That would be my argument. Since Bruen was decided, and the statements made in the majority decision were very much in-line with the right to carry being a definite Constitutional individual right, then reciprocity must also be assured. If not granted then more lawsuits will/must ensue.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    National Reciprocity is coming. Like Teratos stated no other civil rights end at the state border.

Again the 7 deep blue state will have to be sued into it, something already in the works apparently.

The dumbest thing ever is driving from Tampa to Tysons Corner, carrying the whole way, then having to unholster and put everything in Fort Knox to enter Maryland.

Unnecessary and frankly, dangerous. As in my opinion Maryland is the most dangerous part of the trip.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Reciprocity in some form will be coming. When isn't exactly certain.

As current cases get resolved, especially In our favor new cases will be filed to keep pushing gun control laws back.

It is all a matter of priorities. NOT every unconstitutional law can be fought simultaneously. Some cases need to be won first to set case precedence for future cases.

Also some cases are more important then others because they infringe to a greater degree.

Our biggest problem to Reciprocity though comes from the three WORST states, which will push back the most. Those states are CA, NY, and HI.

Keep in mind the following areas that don’t offer reciprocity to any states. HI, CA, OR, IL, MD, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, and the two cities of D.C. and NYC.

What I believe will happen first before the courts force the issue, or the federal government passes an act to force reciprocity. Is that the above states will offer some form of Non-Resident permitting.

6 of those states (IL, MD, NJ, CT, RI, MA) and 1 of the cities (D.C.) above already offer some form of Non-Resident permitting.

Non-Resident permitting I think will get approved much faster as it allows a state to retain at least some control over who is carrying a firearm. They get to do the background checks, require the training they wish, charge fees to generate income/pay expenses. Not something they could do with true reciprocity.

That really is the first step IMHO. If we can get those other 5 states and the 1 other city to issue Non-resident permits that would be a big step in getting national reciprocity. Or get them to go CC. I say 5, because Illinois only offers Non-Resident permits to only those residents of a certain 6 states, and only if they have their resident permit as well. All other 44 states do not qualify for a Illinois Permit.

National reciprocity coming from our congress in a passed bill, will NOT happen until republicans have a trifecta control of our federal government.

The only other way for it to happen is though our court system, or a constitutional convention of no less then 34 states.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    2A friendly states are interested in seeing their citizens be able to exercise their rights in other states.
    Let’s just say if it’s a case where one state requires training and another state doesn’t, then I don’t see the courts going out on that limb and forcing reciprocity on 2A or 14A grounds.
    They may defend it however if Congress passes a law

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This is where there’s going to be a funny crossover among idealogical stripes.

See Obergefell v. Hodges

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Let’s just say if it’s a case where one state requires training and another state doesn’t, then I don’t see the courts going out on that limb and forcing reciprocity on 2A or 14A grounds.
    They may defend it however if Congress passes a law
    I don't really care how they do it. Constitutional carry would be easiest, but I don't see that happening. Not in the next couple of decades, anyway. They do have to find a way to guarantee my right to carry in every state. It is a Civil right. Again, show me another right that ends at another state's border.

Privileges and immunities.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Reciprocity in some form will be coming. When isn't exactly certain.

As current cases get resolved, especially In our favor new cases will be filed to keep pushing gun control laws back.

It is all a matter of priorities. NOT every unconstitutional law can be fought simultaneously. Some cases need to be won first to set case precedence for future cases.

Also some cases are more important then others because they infringe to a greater degree.

Our biggest problem to Reciprocity though comes from the three WORST states, which will push back the most. Those states are CA, NY, and HI.

Keep in mind the following areas that don’t offer reciprocity to any states. HI, CA, OR, IL, MD, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, and the two cities of D.C. and NYC.

What I believe will happen first before the courts force the issue, or the federal government passes an act to force reciprocity. Is that the above states will offer some form of Non-Resident permitting.

6 of those states (IL, MD, NJ, CT, RI, MA) and 1 of the cities (D.C.) above already offer some form of Non-Resident permitting.

Non-Resident permitting I think will get approved much faster as it allows a state to retain at least some control over who is carrying a firearm. They get to do the background checks, require the training they wish, charge fees to generate income/pay expenses. Not something they could do with true reciprocity.

That really is the first step IMHO. If we can get those other 5 states and the 1 other city to issue Non-resident permits that would be a big step in getting national reciprocity. Or get them to go CC. I say 5, because Illinois only offers Non-Resident permits to only those residents of a certain 6 states, and only if they have their resident permit as well. All other 44 states do not qualify for a Illinois Permit.

National reciprocity coming from our congress in a passed bill, will NOT happen until republicans have a trifecta control of our federal government.

The only other way for it to happen is though our court system, or a constitutional convention of no less then 34 states.
    I have already had a friend of mine in WV cal and chat with me over MD training issues regarding him getting a a non-resident permit. 16 hour training that meets MD requirements conducted in WV? Spending money on it and hoping it satisfies the requirement is making him (and I am sure a lot of others) balk at the idea. My friends reaction may be what MD hopes to accomplish with the training requirement for out of state carriers, but we shall see.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    National Reciprocity is coming. Like Teratos stated no other civil rights end at the state border.

Again the 7 deep blue state will have to be sued into it, something already in the works apparently.

The dumbest thing ever is driving from Tampa to Tysons Corner, carrying the whole way, then having to unholster and put everything in Fort Knox to enter Maryland.

Unnecessary and frankly, dangerous. As in my opinion Maryland is the most dangerous part of the trip.
    Amen

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have already had a friend of mine in WV cal and chat with me over MD training issues regarding him getting a a non-resident permit. 16 hour training that meets MD requirements conducted in WV? Spending money on it and hoping it satisfies the requirement is making him (and I am sure a lot of others) balk at the idea. My friends reaction may be what MD hopes to accomplish with the training requirement for out of state carriers, but we shall see.
    He'll have to take a MD approved course taught by a MD approved instructor. A non-resident getting a MD permit has to plan on spending 2 days here to do it

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Like driving from Maryland to Florida with no issues, and then having to unholster and stow the firearm while in Florida. Yepper … dumbest thing ever. That’s right, Florida is no shining example of freedom and COTUS 2A rights for anyone with a Maryland CCW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom