• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Is the forum running really slow for anyone else not on a mobile device?

On my phone company wifi, no problems. Desktop version on my work comp, slow as donkey.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Is the forum running really slow for anyone else not on a mobile device?

On my phone company wifi, no problems. Desktop version on my work comp, slow as donkey.

The site either works or doesn't for me this morning. Pages keep failing to load (timeouts), then if I wait, they'll load just fine. For me it's all or nothing with a lot of nothing.

In fact this is the second time I submitted this reply. The first timed out.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    The site either works or doesn't for me this morning. Pages keep failing to load (timeouts), then if I wait, they'll load just fine. For me it's all or nothing with a lot of nothing.

In fact this is the second time I submitted this reply. The first timed out.

Yeah, same here.

I suspect it's a DNS issue. Works fine from my phone on cell. Company wifi going tango uniform too.

I did flush dems (lol, autocorrect). DNS. Cleared cache and cookies. Not helping.

I forget the dotted quad :-(.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Yeah, same here.

I suspect it's a DNS issue. Works fine from my phone on cell. Company wifi going tango uniform too.

I did flush dems (lol, autocorrect). DNS. Cleared cache and cookies. Not helping.

I forget the dotted quad :-(.

I don't think it's a DNS problem. I could be wrong, though. I say that because I use a local hosts file to keep this site's address, so I'm not using DNS for the site. I'm still having the problems. If it's growing pains for the site, that's fine (if the mods can confirm this). It's getting frustrating otherwise.

my /etc/hosts entry:
    192.69.219.10 mdshooters.com www.mdshooters.com

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I don't think it's a DNS problem. I could be wrong, though. I say that because I use a local hosts file to keep this site's address, so I'm not using DNS for the site. I'm still having the problems. If it's growing pains for the site, that's fine (if the mods can confirm this). It's getting frustrating otherwise.

my /etc/hosts entry:
    192.69.219.10 mdshooters.com www.mdshooters.com

^ I don't think that's the right IP address. It brings me to a cPanel hosting page.

Flushed the DNS again and still no luck.

MDS home page still loads okay, but any more than one or two clicks results in pages spinning to load.

Frustrated as well. Flushed DNS again this morning without much luck.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    ^ I don't think that's the right IP address. It brings me to a cPanel hosting page.

Flushed the DNS again and still no luck.

MDS home page still loads okay, but any more than one or two clicks results in pages spinning to load.

Frustrated as well. Flushed DNS again this morning without much luck.

Dig says otherwise (dig is a DNS query tool)
    solaria:~ jclark$ dig www.mdshooters.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> www.mdshooters.com
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 44477
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.mdshooters.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.mdshooters.com. 60 IN CNAME mdshooters.com.
    mdshooters.com. 60 IN A 192.69.219.10

;; Query time: 153 msec
    ;; SERVER: 10.200.1.1#53(10.200.1.1)
    ;; WHEN: Fri May 6 07:45:36 2016
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 66

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    ^ Thanks.

Forgot I can ping from cmd line. Did that and confirmed ip is good. No packets lost 100% with good timing.

Unfortunately the results on the forum are still the same. Slow resolution at best, failure at worse.

Hitting the IP address I receive this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 257

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    One more issue that I have noticed. While browsing a thread with the New Post feature, I have an issue. After posting a reply to lets say, the 10th post in that thread, the system takes me back to the first post listed as new, instead of the post I responded to.
    For most threads, it's not an issue, but if it's something like the Trump thread, I can be replying to a post 3 pages down the list, but it takes me back to that very first post listed as new.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone, but it's a little weird and I'm sure there's only 3 users this is happening to.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    One more issue that I have noticed. While browsing a thread with the New Post feature, I have an issue. After posting a reply to lets say, the 10th post in that thread, the system takes me back to the first post listed as new, instead of the post I responded to.
    For most threads, it's not an issue, but if it's something like the Trump thread, I can be replying to a post 3 pages down the list, but it takes me back to that very first post listed as new.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone, but it's a little weird and I'm sure there's only 3 users this is happening to.

Jim, this might be a silly question, but are you sure you're letting the page load all the way? I've run in to this on vBulletin before (I used to run a HUGE vBul based forum) and sometimes it will render the whole page and then hang up while loading one or two of the last things, and the "jump to post" function is the last thing it does. So it may load the whole page and then be waiting on one last thing before it takes you to that post.

This is working properly for me, which is not to say that it wouldn't be for someone else, just that I've seen this issue before on vBul and it's usually caused by a hang in loading one or two of the last things on the page before it jumps to your post.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Yes, it's taking me back to the first new post. I know what you're saying and I've seen that on other V boards, but this is taking me back and leaving me there. It happens when I'm quoting a message in a thread. When I post my message, it takes me all the way back to the very first new post.

Thanks!

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    ^ Thanks.

Forgot I can ping from cmd line. Did that and confirmed ip is good. No packets lost 100% with good timing.

Unfortunately the results on the forum are still the same. Slow resolution at best, failure at worse.

Hitting the IP address I receive this:

That's to be expected on a shared host. Shared web servers typically use "NameVirtualHost" (apache speak) that uses the host name (the part between http:// and the next /) to determine which site should be used. On such servers, the IP address is either part of a catch-all site or it will use the first site loaded in RAM (typically alphabetical, but there are caveats). Since it's PHP, the server is most likely Linux with either Apache or NGINX. My experience is mainly with Apache, so my frame of reference is with that.

Servers can use IP addressed based virtual hosts, but each site would need a unique IP address and that's not practical on a shared server with hundreds of other sites.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    ^ Thanks. I only know enough to be dangerous.

So, is this just a wait it out for the DNS to finally update? What am I missing here?

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    What is with all the HUGE grainy pics in peoples signatures?

Anyone else seeing this or is it my browser? I'm using firefox.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom