• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I dun tolya an tolya, Iain'ta hav'in no red sheelac on mu gunz.

:banghead: Then collect Garands ... they come already stripped, unless bubba got there first, and usually all you have to do is oil, or clean and oil them.

You did a pretty job on that rifle, but it started out as a special kind of beautiful. :innocent0

We're gonna get through to you eventually. You're too damned smart not to understand this stuff on some level ... you're just a little hard-headed. That can be fixed. Stupid can't. :lol:

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    I used Machodoc's recommendation for re-shellacking my M44. I'm glad a lot of the red stayed. I like them natural and Ivan'd up

Attachments

• Mosin_finished_2 006.jpg
      Mosin_finished_2 006.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 167
    • Mosin_finished_2 003.jpg
      Mosin_finished_2 003.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 170
    • Mosin_Finished 008.jpg
      Mosin_Finished 008.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 170

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    :banghead: Then collect Garands ... they come already stripped, unless bubba got there first, and usually all you have to do is oil, or clean and oil them.

You did a pretty job on that rifle, but it started out as a special kind of beautiful. :innocent0

We're gonna get through to you eventually. You're too damned smart not to understand this stuff on some level ... you're just a little hard-headed. That can be fixed. Stupid can't. :lol:

:toothless I've been building furniture to long to be able to stand nice grain buried beneath coats of dark, red, shellac.

I need to see the grain. That's why nature put it there.

Nature did not hand Ivan a paint brush and a can of Rooskie Red and order him to defy Mother nature.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Even tho the refinish looks nice now, I must agree with Machodoc. If refinishing is a passion, do it to a table or chair instead of a gun. The notion of "Bubba-ing" isn't limited to chopping up stocks, barrels or actions. :sad20:

Have I refinished guns? Sure. But only when there was no other option in the gun's restoration or de-bubba projects. In those cases re-applying as close to what would have been the original finish seems like the right thing to do.

Personally, I have some very nice rifles that once had original finishes. Someone who owned them before me refinished them. I sure wish they hadn't.

Consider this: A hundred years from now none of us will likely be around. But a gun you Bubba'd with a refinished might be. Do you really want whoever owns that gun then to ask, "Why did Bubba do this to my gun"?

???

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm not going down this road.

We're going to have to agree to disagree.

The Russians and the Importers Bubbafied these 91/30's with their re-furb programs way before any of us came on the scene.

And I don't refinish. I build from scratch. El Naturel like.

I'm going to coin a new term regarding the finish on my Mosin: Pre-Ivan.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    No debate. We agree to disagree.

A big difference is what the Russians, Finns etc. did to old 91/30's many years ago is part of a particular rifle's heritage. A Formby's refinish in the year 2014 is not.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    "Bubba's History Be Gone!"

That's good stuff.

Rifle looks nice. I did a similar job to a T53 before these guys turned me.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    thanks Libz, I also like to see the grain in the wood. I see more Mosins in my future. I figure some I will leave alone and some not. My stock got screwed during Ivan's refurb. Deep sanding to get rid of scratches, cartouches almost erased from sanding.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm going to coin a new term regarding the finish on my Mosin: Pre-Ivan.

Too late. It's already, "Post-Bubba".

For those who think that I'm picking on iH8DemLibz as a poor, defenseless, well-meaning, abuser of military firearms ... I am! But he and I have an understanding about these things. He does really nice work, and I have a lot of respect for him, but he's simply a misguided waif who needs a little bit of patient and gentle guidance. If that doesn't work, we'll throw him down a well, or something.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This is my Pre-Ivan, completely unmolested, and all original matching numbers Model 91.

It was manufactured at the Sestroyetsk factory in 1915.

pre ivan 001.JPG

You will, immediately, notice that no Rooskie Red was ever applied to it. Why you ask. Because the ORIGINALS (M91, M91/30, M38, and M44) were never Ivanated. NEVER! The stocks were stained and then they were given a clear finish. They were never high gloss and bright red. Only the re-furbed and de-valued red headed step children in the Mosin family were given the scarlet color.

In fact, the Model 91 stock is the exact same color as the original walnut stock on my completely unmolested and all original matching numbers 1889 Dutch Beaumont rifle.

pre ivan 003.JPG

Some folks on here need to do some research before going down the thread derailment highway.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I referbed one last year. Got a little grief from doing it. But didn't sand deep. Just enough for the finish to stick properly. Still has all the character marks and the stamp in the wood.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I referbed one last year. Got a little grief from doing it. But didn't sand deep. Just enough for the finish to stick properly. Still has all the character marks and the stamp in the wood.

What?

You used SANDPAPER and only caught a little bit of grief.....

I didn't use any sandpaper and every Curio and Relic N*Z* in Maryland has chimed in to voice his displeasure.

The purists on here need to get a grip on reality concerning the Ivanized 91/30's.

I know some of you want to think they were lovingly restored and re-arsenaled in a hermetically sealed room by talented Russian gunsmiths who methodically took the time to look over every gun to make sure every bolt was precisely head spaced and precisely matched to every chamber.

They weren't.

They took piles, and piles, and piles of random parts that were sitting in Ivan's filthy warehouse and unskilled laborers re-ground them and re-stamped them and re-blued them and re-assembled them as fast as they could so they could be exported as fast as they could to be sold to us as fast as they could.

They cost $69.00 15 years ago. They cost $99.00 today. Someone, PLEASE, show me the value and collectability of a Refurbished 91/30 rifle.

I bought this rifle 10 days ago and it's worth less today than what I paid for it 10 days ago. I paid a bit extra for it to support a local gun shop. I got to fondle and finger 15 rifles and I got to pick the best of the litter.

Ten years from now, I would not get what I paid for it if I were to sell it in it's glorious red condition. That's why I de-Ivanated it. And if I do try to sell it, I will tell some NOOB that the box with the X on the receiver and the box with the slash on the butt stock is the royal crown markings of King Ivan himself and I will be paid handsomely because it will be a one-of-a-kind 91/30 with a natural finish on the stock.

And none of the above takes into account one irrefutable fact. That it's mine and I like this way.

Peace out my gun loving brothers.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Ok, maybe more than a little bit. How does a couple of PM's sound?

Didn't pay it too much thought.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom