• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    So, looking around I find that RCBS 5.56 AR reloading dies (P/N 11107) are in short supply.
    RCBS is out of stock and ebay doesn't seem to have any either.

Basically the only thing difference between the "AR series" and the standard 5.56 set of dies (P/N 11101) is a special 7 degree crimp for AR auto loading.

- Is the standard set of dies (P/N 11101) still safe and adequate for reloading AR cartridges?
    - Is there another brand of die that is compatible with the Rockchucker that is specialized for AR cartridges?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've been using the 11101(.223 Rem) for years and thousands of rounds without any problems. I only shoot AR15 in that caliber, all barrels having 5.56 NATO chambers.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have redding and forster 223 dies. If I crimp 223 ammo, I use either a taper crimp die (dillon) or a factory crimp die (lee). Works fine in multiple ar pattern rifles including machine guns.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    @4g64loser All these different brands of dies fit in the Rockchucker? I'm surprised these companies aren't using some sort of proprietary thread pattern to prevent cross-pollination between brands.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    @4g64loser All these different brands of dies fit in the Rockchucker? I'm surprised these companies aren't using some sort of proprietary thread pattern to prevent cross-pollination between brands.
    Yes sir. The vast majority of manufacturers use the 7/8"-14tpi standard. This holds true until you get to very large Safari type cases, ELR oriented stuff, .50bmg, etc.

If you need to load ammo like right now there's probably a spare die set around somewhere I can loan you.

I'm a big fan of the forster dies. I've migrated to them as they offer very high quality to cost balance. If you want to crimp, definitely do it on a separate die. As mentioned above, I do a dillon taper crimp or a Lee FCD.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I've been using the 11101(.223 Rem) for years and thousands of rounds without any problems. I only shoot AR15 in that caliber, all barrels having 5.56 NATO chambers.
    Ok. From the marketing language, the AR set just seems like it adds a bit of "insurance" to ensure reliable feeding.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    If you need to load ammo like right now there's probably a spare die set around somewhere I can loan you.

I'm a big fan of the forster dies. I've migrated to them as they offer very high quality to cost balance. If you want to crimp, definitely do it on a separate die. As mentioned above, I do a dillon taper crimp or a Lee FCD.
    No, pants aren't on fire. Thanks for the offer though.
    What is the problem or deficiency with seating and crimping in the same die as the RCBS set would do?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    No, pants aren't on fire. Thanks for the offer though.
    What is the problem or deficiency with seating and crimping in the same die as the RCBS set would do?
    Roll crimps need cannelured bullets and most of the pills I load aren't cannelured. You are also restricted to that specific searing depth. No thanks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have redding and forster 223 dies. If I crimp 223 ammo, I use either a taper crimp die (dillon) or a factory crimp die (lee). Works fine in multiple ar pattern rifles including machine guns.
    I'm a big fan of the Lee crimp dies where I do crimp. I generally do not crimp my .223 Rem though. I do make it a point to ensure all my AR feed ramps are properly cut, aligned, and polished.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I'm a big fan of the Lee crimp dies where I do crimp. I generally do not crimp my .223 Rem though. I do make it a point to ensure all my AR feed ramps are properly cut, aligned, and polished.
    Ha, this is where things will get fun(?). How good is my AR build? How good were the components I bought?
    It fires factory ammo flawlessly. Brass piles up at 4 o'clock reliably. I bought the upper with M4 feed ramps.

I bought Hornady .224 bullets with cannelure for this reloading exercise. I can crimp if I want to but I guess I don't have to.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ha, this is where things will get fun(?). How good is my AR build? How good were the components I bought?
    It fires factory ammo flawlessly. Brass piles up at 4 o'clock reliably. I bought the upper with M4 feed ramps.

I bought Hornady .224 bullets with cannelure for this reloading exercise. I can crimp if I want to but I guess I don't have to.
    Crimping or not crimping is a personal preference.

To check your feed ramps, run a fine point pen nib up the feed ramp(s) starting at the receiver and moving up the ramp towards the chamber. If the pen point hangs up at all between the receiver's ramp and the barrel extension ramp, that would be a problem.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    To check your feed ramps, run a fine point pen nib up the feed ramp(s) starting at the receiver and moving up the ramp towards the chamber. If the pen point hangs up at all between the receiver's ramp and the barrel extension ramp, that would be a problem.
    Excellent, thanks. I'll give it a try.

As usual, a ton of great advice here. I've fired off my purchase order (needed more stuff than just dies).
    You guys were right, starting off with a single stage press was a better move than going full progressive. I don't think I'll be cranking out enough ammo to need it and it would have been far more expensive to get started.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    You can buy a set of small base 223 dies directly from RCBS for the going rate and they ship for free.

https://www.rcbs.com/dies-and-shell...--group-a---popular-rifle-cartridges/777.html

These are all you will ever need and they will last you a lifetime. The small base sizer will give you insurance against chambers cut to the minimum body dimension. If it works with factory ammo it will work with ammo loaded with these.

I've loaded for AR's for 30+ years and never crimped a single round. Never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom