• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baltimorelaw

Mar 27, 2009
    Having discussion with a couple guys from northern Baltimore county who say there are timber rattlesnakes in prettyboy/ gunpowder area. I've never seen one and can't find evidence of a confirmed sighting in last 25 years. Curious if anyone has seen or heard of them in this area?

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I have heard that. There is an old map someone that shows a small circle near prettyboy. I'll see if I can find it.

I did see a picture in Howard County a few years ago

baltimorelaw

Mar 27, 2009

There's this one, but it doesn't give much info
    Thank you - I see it shows Baltimore Co as within range but my theory is that's historical range. DNR conducted a quad search in 1997(ish) and couldn't turn up any and I haven't heard a first hand account that isn't at least 25 years old. Find it hard to believe there could be a population of them in the watershed or gunpowder falls and not see/hear more about it with today's social media.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Thank you - I see it shows Baltimore Co as within range but my theory is that's historical range. DNR conducted a quad search in 1997(ish) and couldn't turn up any and I haven't heard a first hand account that isn't at least 25 years old. Find it hard to believe there could be a population of them in the watershed or gunpowder falls and not see/hear more about it with today's social media.
    Historical range put them all the way to the Susquehanna in Harford.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The last one I saw in northern Baltimore County, was in White Hall. But that was before hurricane Agnes went through in 1972. It was entering the yard where my younger brothers and sisters were playing. It did not survive the encounter. Haven’t actually seen another in the area since.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Living in the area I can say that I have not seen one here, but I can say that there is lots of terrain that would be perfect habitat without any human interaction.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I worked with a Herpetologist years ago who said he knew of several dens in that area but wouldn't tell anyone where they were because he wanted to protect the snakes... I tended to believe him as he was a pretty sharp dude and genuinely cared about snakes.

baltimorelaw

Mar 27, 2009
    I worked with a Herpetologist years ago who said he knew of several dens in that area but wouldn't tell anyone where they were because he wanted to protect the snakes... I tended to believe him as he was a pretty sharp dude and genuinely cared about snakes.
    Interesting, thanks, and yeah good call on not sharing location(s).

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I have seen many rattle snakes in the west, never here in Maryland. But, I rarely see any snakes here at all. The occasional Garter, a few Rat Snakes and a Ribbon snake once. Perhaps I'm just in the wrong place; but they really don't seem all that common here. At least in comparison to other states. I've never seen a Copperhead; but I'm assured they exist in the area. Perhaps the Rattle snake population is just very small.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I’ve seen them here in Frederick up in the watershed area which is part of the Cotoctin mountains. I can imagine them as they multiply moving out into new areas.

baltimorelaw

Mar 27, 2009
    I’ve seen them here in Frederick up in the watershed area which is part of the Cotoctin mountains. I can imagine them as they multiply moving out into new areas.
    Yeah I dont spend much time in Catoctin but have been advised to be careful if hunting in that area because there's a good population in there of both copperhead and timber rattlesnakes.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have only seen them in the far western part of Maryland. They come out of hibernation in spring and will see them sunning themselves . This is rocky and mountain areas in Garrett and Allegheny counties. They tend to hide once the heat is here till fall again. I have seen many snakes this year at work in Edgewood/ Aberdeen . Only two copperheads and both were aggressive as usual and coiled up and struck at me about 5 or 6 times repeatedly as I was moving away from them. I see many harmless black snakes, racers and water snakes there daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom