• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    Hello all, this is my first post.

The other day, I took my buddy to the range. He's only been to the range once before. Anyway, I was surprised at how well he shot considering it was only his second time out. He started with my Glock 19 Gen4 and landed all but 1 shot on an 8 inch target at 5 yards on his first magazine. Then we shot my Ruger 22/45 4.5 TB. On his 2nd or 3rd magazine, he was able to get 9/10 rounds inside a 2 inch group. Maybe because I just got into shooting myself, but I was impressed he picked it up with little exposure to shooting.

So then another buddy of mine said he should have hit all 10 rounds inside a 1 inch group from 5 yards. So after a lengthy back and forth, we made a bet. I bet he couldn't get 5 rounds inside a 1 inch group standing at 5 yards, using the same gun (iron sights) with bulk ammo. Granted, my other friend has gone shooting a lot more than myself, I still think he's all talk.

Did I just shoot myself in the foot? Could most of you hit a 1 inch target 5 times from 5 yards standing/iron sights/.22 bulk ammo on your 1st or 2nd attempt? I just don't think it's that easy for the average joe.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm not sure if I could do that on a regular basis, and I have been shooting the same Ruger MkII for more than 20 years.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    sure its possible!!! the RUger is an excellent pistols with a long sight radius making it a great target pistol. At 5 yards (15 ft) and with good breathing and sight technique I its easily done

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    sure its possible!!! the RUger is an excellent pistols with a long sight radius making it a great target pistol. At 5 yards (15 ft) and with good breathing and sight technique I its easily done

I don't doubt that it's possible. But I'm talking more...average shooter...picking up a ruger 22/45 for the first time, and putting 5 rounds in a 1 inch target. This friend of mine said he could put all 10 inside 1 inch. It's one thing to familiarize yourself with a firearm and then shoot accurately. It's another to just pick up a firearm and be accurate right off the bat.

I've put a few rounds in a 1 inch grouping, but that was after I shot several rounds and it's my gun...so I know what to expect.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I don't doubt that it's possible. But I'm talking more...average shooter...picking up a ruger 22/45 for the first time, and putting 5 rounds in a 1 inch target. This friend of mine said he could put all 10 inside 1 inch. It's one thing to familiarize yourself with a firearm and then shoot accurately. It's another to just pick up a firearm and be accurate right off the bat.

I've put a few rounds in a 1 inch grouping, but that was after I shot several rounds and it's my gun...so I know what to expect.

Yes....with this firearm. with a small snubnose or 2" bbl its more difficult

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    Did this friend also teach you to call your magazine a clip?

Haha...nice catch. I've been trying to break that habit. Actually, a different friend corrected me on that one. Notice how I used both in my OP. Irregardless. :D

Fixed my OP, thanks.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Welcome aboard!
    So then another buddy of mine said he should have hit all 10 rounds inside a 1 inch group from 5 yards. So after a lengthy back and forth, we made a bet. I bet he couldn't get 5 rounds inside a 1 inch group standing at 5 yards, using the same gun (iron sights) with bulk ammo. Granted, my other friend has gone shooting a lot more than myself, I still think he's all talk.

So make it easy on yourself and call his bluff. Hand him the gun with a loaded mag and see if he can get the job done.

Presumably he made this comment when you were conveniently back at your home/office/local bar/...?

Sounds like another excuse for a range trip coming up!

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston

The other day, I took my buddy to the range. He's only been to the range once before. Anyway, I was surprised at how well he shot considering it was only his second time out. He started with my Glock 19 Gen4 and landed all but 1 shot on an 8 inch target at 5 yards on his first magazine. Then we shot my Ruger 22/45 4.5 TB. On his 2nd or 3rd magazine, he was able to get 9/10 rounds inside a 2 inch group. Maybe because I just got into shooting myself, but I was impressed he picked it up with little exposure to shooting.

Did I just shoot myself in the foot? Could most of you hit a 1 inch target 5 times from 5 yards standing/iron sights/.22 bulk ammo on your 1st or 2nd attempt? I just don't think it's that easy for the average joe.

I watched a brand new female shooter (never shot before) put her first 10 shots inside a 3 " circle at seven yards the other day, so yes- it is very "doable"... The Ruger Mark II, III and 45/22's are know for being extremely accurate...

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    I can do that all day with my Medalist and Fed. bulk pack.
    I regularly shoot at 1/2" diamonds @ 7 yards.

1", 5 yards?
    That's a little more like G17L territory.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    If someone has good form and trigger control it would be easy with most decent platforms. The only things that would make it difficult would be a crappy trigger,really crappy ammo or a horribly out of sync gun.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    A young woman I was coaching at a Women On Target clinic took my Ruger Single Six, shooting CCI hollowpoints, and put 4 out of 6 rounds into a space about the size of a business card at 25 yards (75 feet). We walked over to see it and she asked me if that was good. I said I couldn't do that, and it's my gun. I doubt I could do that with a rifle with iron sights. Youth really is wasted on the young. :D

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    Welcome aboard!

So make it easy on yourself and call his bluff. Hand him the gun with a loaded mag and see if he can get the job done.

Presumably he made this comment when you were conveniently back at your home/office/local bar/...?

Sounds like another excuse for a range trip coming up!

This all transpired over Facebook. My buddy posted a pic of his target. Then the other friend made those comments and I called him out saying he couldn't do better.

He's trying to make a high stakes bet out of it. I'm not that hard pressed to prove him wrong. Even though I feel VERY confident he can't do it, I can't risk that kind of money. And he won't do it for less. Go figure. Probably because he knows I can't cover the bet, thus, he won't have to prove it. I guess I'll never know.

And thanks for the welcome all. I just got out of one hobby (sports card collecting) and started a new one (shooting and firearms). It's been a lot of fun so far. I hope to be able to contribute to these forums as I learn more about firearms...but right now, I'm still very green.

On a separate note, is it possible for your dominant eye to change? For a while, I wasn't shooting well using my right eye, so I started to shoot with my left eye. The other day at the range, I couldn't hit my targets, so I decided to switch back to my right eye and I was nailing it. (And when I say switch, what I do right now is start aiming with the dominant eye and then open both eyes before I shoot...not sure if this is a good method, but I can't hit anything unless I do this drill)

DoctorBob

Jul 12, 2011
    Glen Arm
    To address your topic of "22 accuracy", most any 22 pistol could/should have the
    inherent accuracy to group 1" at 5 yards. High end, purpose built, match pistols will
    shoot 1/2" - 1" groups at 50 yards, with matched ammo. A S&W 41, Hammerli 208
    Pardini , Walther , and perhaps a few others would be expected to perform at this
    level. A High Standard Victor or Browning Medalist would be just behind this.
    A quality pistol makes it easier to shoot small, consistently round groups - at any
    reasonable range. Learning to do this comes under the heading of marksmanship.
    Doing it under pressure (for money or medals) comes under the heading of training.

Anyone wishing to improve their skills may want to see me at Free State Gun Range
    for Marksmanship Training Classes. Four levels are offered to suit your aspirations.
    Call me to increase your ability and to have questions answered.

Doctor Bob / Old Skool

punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    I shoot .22 a lot (because i'm poor and they are still fun) and i can shoot a 5 shot 1" group. but not every day. for me it depends on the day, some days i can shoot 3" .45acp group at 25 ft and others i cant keep a 4" .22 group at 25ft. basically if you bet a lot of money (for me $5) make sure he has a bad day:innocent0

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    A friend at the AGC had his .22 ruger pistol with a scope dialed in so well that he could hit a 3 " steel clanger at 100 yds with it on a steady rest. I was amazed watching him. I was even more amazed when he let me try and I was able to hit it too. It wasn't that hard with his scope is dialed in as well as it was.

He and his buddy are fun to watch. I often see these two guys shooting 1/2 inch wooden beads at 100 yds with their rifles. They shoot something different every time they come out. Really nice guys and incredible shots!

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I went to the range yesterday with my friend that got me into firearms. I wanted to see how difficult it is to pull off what I described in the OP.

I setup some targets I had printed out. The targets were roughly 2 inches wide, with 5 targets on one sheet. My friend and I took turns shooting at each target. Granted it was crazy cold (outdoor range), he was only able to get 3 shots inside the 2 inch target, although his grouping was pretty tight. I shot next and was able to get 5 shots in the 2 inch target, but my grouping was a little all over the place. Then my friend dialed in and was able to get around 5 shots inside the target. My next round, I had a tighter grouping and a majority of shots inside the target. After we ran out of targets, I pick a white part of the sheet that had not been shot at and was able to get a extremely tight group with maybe 7 shots.

I don't have very good aim nor shooting mechanics since I just started getting into shooting, so with that said, I answered my own question. It's not that hard to get a tight grouping from 5 yards out with a .22 pistol. But I still think it's hard to hit a 1 inch bullseye and get all of the other bullets in that tight of a grouping with only a few attempts of getting acclimated with a firearm you've never shot before. And take into consideration the shooter is not a marksman or avid shooter and PRIDE is on the line. It's much harder to shoot under pressure...especially with money riding on each shot.

Once again...not impossible...but highly difficult for a casual shooter to master on 2-3 tries. If I had money to throw away, I'd take the bet my friend is trying to make with me...but I guess we'll never know.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    It's very possible with good mechanics and as much time as you want. I can do it on a good day, but those are few and far between. I'm not usually slow firing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom