• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    For those of you who think you know what's going on. I will explain. First off, if you know anything about radar you will quickly realize, the areas those officers have been sitting are NOT conducive to running radar. I drove past them and knew immediately they were not running radar. I didn't assume like most people, who are not properly educated in such matters may think.

Those officers have been working a Federal grant designed to target the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Standards. All those dump trucks, large commercial vehicles that drop rocks onto the road, cracking car windshields, unsafe tires that blow leaving huge pieces of rubber on the road for other cars to drive over. MANY improperly licensed commercial drivers without proper endorsements for the loads they may be carrying, etc, etc. That has been the target the the enforcement in Hughesville recently, not cars or running radar. The goal is to inspect these trucks, and put them out of service if need be until the equipment is fixed on the trucks, not to write tickets.

Twice within the last 3-4 months, large commercial type trucks have lost loads or cargo on and around the bypass in Hughesville. I personally witnessed a wheel come off a backhoe that was being hauled and shoot across Rt. 5 like a rocket, nearly missing a car merging onto the bypass from 231.

Not sure how others feel, but I am glad they are out there doing this type of enforcement, keeping the local roadways a bit safer.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I know...except his ticket goes away.

Tickets do not go away. Considering most departments issue electronic tickets once you hit send it's there and in the system. No way to "take it back" or "lose it behind a file cabinet" or any other silly story you can think of how police work plays out.

The officer who stops them has discretion to write a ticket, warning, or repair order just like every other stop.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You just need to buy a big daddy 4 door pickemup truck. That way you can lawfully drive on the public road with all the windows behind the drivers and passenger seat as dark as you want.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Here's another LEO question;

How come my neighbor, who happens to be a MD State Trooper...have limo tint on his wife's POV...but I can't?

Because he's a cop. Idk about a spouses vehicle necessarily but I have a friend in bcpd that has limo tint onhis car. He told me he gets pulled over a couple times a month. He lays his badge on his lap and when the officer comes up to him he takes one look, laughs , and tells him to get the neck out of there. Apparently it works that way for speeding too. I could care less, he puts his life on the line every day, so I don't begrudge him his perks.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Revenue is hardly the answer.

MSHO and NHTSA and DOT type pushes for safety and awareness through enforcement.

SOLO, Click-it Ticket, Smooth Operator.

'tis the season.

Summer months, nice weather, work zones, family tripping, motorcycles.

This stuff is stat driven.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Revenue is hardly the answer.

So, why are the fines constantly going up? If revenue wasn't a motivation they would sanction people with mandatory driver education, community service, suspension or revocation. Of course, those penalties are very rare, why,.... .gov doesn't make anything on that.

How about a simple 40 bucks for 9 over? I bet it's closer to double that in most places.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So, why are the fines constantly going up? If revenue wasn't a motivation they would sanction people with mandatory driver education, community service, suspension or revocation. Of course, those penalties are very rare, why,.... .gov doesn't make anything on that.

How about a simple 40 bucks for 9 over? I bet it's closer to double that in most places.

Traffic court routinely gives out PBJ, with the offender only paying court costs, but getting community service in lieu of fines.

In fact I personally did 32 hours of community service in a Howard county Christian thrift store for a speeding violation.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

So MVA doesn't give out suspensions and revocations of license? There are an awful lot of people with suspended licenses who would disagree.

People's money is a finicky thing isn't it? You seem rather upset about it already. So if you are attempting to alter someones behavior on the roadway doesn't it make sense to target them where they care about the most?

My license as well as many other folks are needed to not only get to their job but to be able to do it. Would you pay a fine for breaking the law or face a ten day suspension? I'd rather pay my fine and live and learn and I'm sure others are in the same boat.

Maybe that would be a better idea though. Just give folks going 15 over a 10 or 15 day license suspension. I'm sure when they get arrested on their way to work for driving on a suspended license they would be real thrilled not having to have paid a fine.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Never gonna sway the die hard police state fans here. Fines should be $50 per mile over, no exceptions.;)

I pay fines, taxes, "fees" , "registration" and a bunch of other nonsense all year every year. All of which keep rising. What happens when the actual working people can't afford to frigging LIVE any more?

Traffic fines are absolutely crazy high, if we don't agree on that there's not much we can agree on in life I guess.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Also a little surprised there any contention to the fact that the local and state government(s) are looking for any and ALL ways to rape the average working man and woman out a buck......

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Also a little surprised there any contention to the fact that the local and state government(s) are looking for any and ALL ways to rape the average working man and woman out a buck......

Someone really forgot to tell the judges this then. Why are almost every fine reduced? Why is it if you commit 5 violations and get 5 tickets the judges only find you guilty on one? If it was a money grab wouldn't they be on strict orders (like the police must be) to make every ticket stick? How about the police that aren't on board. The amount of tickets to warnings from most officers I see is 2/1 or better favoring warnings. I guess they didn't get the memo.

The legislation could just do away with all warnings and make it mandatory for tickets to be issued for every violation right? Then they would really be in for the money grab.

Man the 3 parts to our legal system just haven't been informed of this almighty money grab people think is happening.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Like already stated, most people can easily deduce it doesn't make sense to lose a $100 dollar half day at work to do to court to save $80.

Just like the red light and speed cameras, if the issue ENOUGH of them they'll get their nut and then some. Most people just say ef it and pay up.

Keep living in a fog if you choose I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom