• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Got a farm raised rabbit coming tomorrow. I am super excited to get one.

I need a good recipe. What you got for me?

Try this Hasenpfeffer recipe. I made it a couple of times last winter. My family will eat anything with bacon in it and ask no questions. Serve with Spaetzel (German dumplings) noodles, or little boiled potatoes.

Ingredients:
    3 pounds rabbit meat, cleaned and cut into pieces
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 pound bacon, diced
    1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 cup dry red wine
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
    1 tablespoon currant jelly
    10 black peppercorns, crushed
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    3 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed

Directions:
    1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Sprinkle rabbit with salt and coat with 1/3 cup flour, shaking off excess. Brown rabbit in remaining bacon fat. Remove from skillet, along with all but 2 tablespoons of the fat, and reserve.
    2. Saute shallots and garlic in skillet for about 4 minutes, until tender. Stir in wine, 1 cup water and bouillon. Heat to boiling, then stir in jelly, peppercorns, bay leaf, and rosemary. Return rabbit and bacon to skillet. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until rabbit is tender.
    3. Remove bay leaf and discard. Place rabbit on a warm platter and keep warm while preparing gravy.
    4. To Make Gravy: Stir lemon juice into skillet with cooking liquid. Combine 3 tablespoons water with 2 tablespoons flour and mix together; stir mixture into skillet over low heat. Finally, stir in thyme. Pour gravy over stew and serve, or pour into a gravy boat and serve on the side.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    If your looking for something simple, cut it up, dip it in flour, and fry it. I think the hind legs are a little dry. Cut them up and make rabbit salad, just like you would chicken salad.:)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If your looking for something simple, cut it up, dip it in flour, and fry it. I think the hind legs are a little dry. Cut them up and make rabbit salad, just like you would chicken salad.:)

Agree, you can do just about anything with it that you can do with the popular bird ... the old joke is generally true

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county

Soak it in buttermilk before you dip it in seasoned flour/Italian bread crumbs, your choice, put it in a covered casserole dish and bake.

LOL, we eat LOTS of rabbit (100/yr?) so cook it lots of ways:

Hasenpfeffer, sweet and sour rabbit, rabbit enchiladas, BBQ rabbit, fried rabbit, baked rabbit, crock potted w/ sauerkraut, rabbit creole, rabbit ice cream,......:lol2:

After the fairs usually parboil, pick, and can a couple dozen quarts for quick, easy meals.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Rabbit but up, beaten, terriyaki sauce, with some other of your secret sauce, and put little bamboo sticks and grill over heat. Its like street foods you'll find everywhere in asia. but you might need more than one rabbit....

But that stew or fried rabbit?? sounds good!

That looks a lot like the allrecipes.com recipe.

It is indeed. First one that came up last February when somebody gave me a couple of bunnies. It turned out to be a pretty good approximation of what I used to get at Haussner's back in the day. Hasenpfeffer, Spaeztel, red cabbage. And usually fried eggplant, which really didn't go, but Haussner's fried eggplant was the bomb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom