• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    I just sold a Walther PP 1944. Can I ship this directly to a FFl or someone with a C&R? Live in MD shipping to Virginia. can I just take it to the Post office or Fed Ex if so? i don't have a FFL or C&R. Thanks in advance for any imput.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    You cannot use the post office because you are not a dealer. You have to use UPS or Fedex, and must tell them when you take it in that you are shipping a firearm. And obviously must go to an FFL or C&R if eligible, but sounds like you've got that covered.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Get FFL license no. for your files, and confirm through ATF its legitimate (online easy search). See https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/. All you need is first 3 numbers and last 5 numbers , not even a copy of the license. The ATF site will confirm its valid. Print and keep a copy. I suggest sending by Fed-X, insured, to FFL (not directly to buyer unless the buyer is the FFL). Don't put any special markings on the box. Fed-X rules say you are supposed to declare its a firearm when dropping off but my experience is that they could care less. I'd still declare. Have never had a problem. I don't know if you can send to a C&R - but I doubt it because I think federal transfer laws require across state lines to be through an FFL in the recipients state. There is another recent thread on this somewhere if you search for it.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    You may also find that some of the "UPS Store" and FedEx mailing places won't accept a handgun, and that you'll have to take it to an actual UPS or FedEx center.

It's a good idea to have a copy of the recipient's FFL with you when you take the thing to ship it, and to also put one into the box when you pack it. This is just CYA to possibly save yourself another trip if the shipping place doesn't know how to deal with shipping a firearm.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Fed-X rules say you are supposed to declare its a firearm when dropping off but my experience is that they could care less. I'd still declare. Have never had a problem.

Just a note to add that it is actually federal law as well. Regardless of the carrier's rules, you have to declare firearms to a common carrier when shipping them.

I don't know if you can send to a C&R - but I doubt it because I think federal transfer laws require across state lines to be through an FFL in the recipients state.

He can send it to a C&R if it is a C&R gun, and if the state where he is sending it allows C&R holders to receive handguns on them. Federal law requires a licensee across state lines, not necessarily a dealer.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    He can send it to a C&R if it is a C&R gun, and if the state where he is sending it allows C&R holders to receive handguns on them. Federal law requires a licensee across state lines, not necessarily a dealer.

^^ This, although not many people seem to realize it. The C&R is an FFL under federal regs. It's the state regs that make things complicated.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This would make a good sticky.
    FedX & UPS locations people have used.
    States where we can't ship C&R direct. (Maybe this is already listed on a national forum or website)
    States with Mag limits (Maybe this is already listed on a national forum or website?)

I expect that "Adult signature required" would also need to be done or at least would be a good idea.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Get FFL license no. for your files, and confirm through ATF its legitimate (online easy search). See https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/. All you need is first 3 numbers and last 5 numbers , not even a copy of the license. The ATF site will confirm its valid.

That ATF link is not usable for C&R FFLs. You must get a copy from the C&R licensee.

I suggest sending by Fed-X, insured, to FFL (not directly to buyer unless the buyer is the FFL).

FedEx does not offer insurance. UPS does.

Fed-X rules say you are supposed to declare its a firearm when dropping off but my experience is that they could care less. I'd still declare.

Federal law requires you to notify the carrier when you drop the handgun off for shipment.

I don't know if you can send to a C&R - but I doubt it because I think federal transfer laws require across state lines to be through an FFL in the recipients state.

A C&R holder is an FFL and can receive C&R-qualified handguns by carrier, provided that state laws are satisfied.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fed-X allows to "insure" for a "declared value" - I just did it.

Jul 1, 2012
    I didn't see this mentioned above, but both FEDEX and UPS policy require overnight air for shipping a handgun. So today is right out. Good luck finding somebody that knows the rules at either place - some will insist on overnight priority which isn't necessary. To VA UPS overnight Air Saver is cheapest but not as cheap as the guy getting in his car and picking it up in person :)
    BTW - UPS "value of package" is for the limit of their liability, it isn't traditional "insurance."

Jul 1, 2012
    This would make a good sticky.
    FedX & UPS locations people have used.
    States where we can't ship C&R direct. (Maybe this is already listed on a national forum or website)
    States with Mag limits (Maybe this is already listed on a national forum or website?)

I expect that "Adult signature required" would also need to be done or at least would be a good idea.

Adult signature is required per UPS policy. And a good idea even if it wasn't. Not sure about FEDEX but I imagine it's required for them too.

PAK Mail in Lexington Park accepts handguns via UPS Overnight air. Not sure if they accept from an unlicensed individual though. Will not ship ammo.

The Shipping Store in Wildwood (California MD) also accepts but they require overnight priority, both parties licensed and violate federal laws by writing the FFL number on the package. Will not ship ammo.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Fed-X allows to "insure" for a "declared value" - I just did it.

It's not insurance. It's a declared value contract between you and FedEx. You pay FedEx extra and enter into a contract for declared value above their nominal maximum payout so as to give yourself a solid legal claim against FedEx in the event the package is lost in shipment. If the package is lost, then you can file a claim with FedEx, who then decides whether or not to pay you the declared value (directly, as a business loss). If FedEx declines (it happens), then you have to sue for breach of contract. The declared value contract is your basis for the civil suit, which FedEx might contest in court. The only reason FedEx offers declared value contracts is in response to UPS offering genuine insurance. UPS is the only place to go for shipping firearms with insurance.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    It's not insurance. It's a declared value contract between you and FedEx. You pay FedEx extra and enter into a contract for declared value above their nominal maximum payout so as to give yourself a solid legal claim against FedEx in the event the package is lost in shipment. If the package is lost, then you can file a claim with FedEx, who then decides whether or not to pay you the declared value (directly, as a business loss). If FedEx declines (it happens), then you have to sue for breach of contract. The declared value contract is your basis for the civil suit, which FedEx might contest in court. The only reason FedEx offers declared value contracts is in response to UPS offering genuine insurance. UPS is the only place to go for shipping firearms with insurance.

Agreed, I didn't mean to imply it was insurance per se in a legal sense, so much as insurance in a general sense that you will recover in the event of loss at the declared value. They charge you more prorated based on the actual declared value. It is agreement for them to pay that amount if they lose the package. I know, they lost another valuable package and after searching for it for three days the called and begged me to accept the "declared value. Thank god it wasn't a firearm, and it was located. If they had refused to do so, they would have breached, and got there ass handed to them in small claims court, and it would have cost more to defend that to just pay. So perhaps I should have said ensure recovery of the loss via declaring the value instead of insure. In any event, the OP got what he needed from multiple sources and I have found most of the people here quite knowledgeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom