• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Good point.

Here is one of the threads I was thinking about. There is another one I will try to find.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=377957&postcount=18

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=826

If you were stopped prior to leaving MD, could the police argue that you are not engaging in interstate travel since you have not yet left the state?

Bowen's informal opinion letter makes clear, correctly, if both the place of origin and the destination are in MD, then 4-203 defines the only legal carry circumstances. Bowen's letter also suggests that Section 926A "would however allow for the transportation of a firearm through the State of Maryland regardless of the Maryland law cited above" where either the origin or the destination was someplace other than MD as along as the other prerequisites of Section 926A were satisfied. At least that would be the argument. Be prepared to prove it. Not legal advice, just a perspective. See caveat below.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    what about something like a motorcycle, in the saddle bags?

maybe ok if the saddle bags are locked?

motorcycle doesn't really have a "back compartment" :)

Same rule applies. Gun unloaded inside a closed case in a saddle bag or storage area on the bike. I carry my loaded mags in the same saddle bag as the unloaded gun, but in a different case. If the saddle bag can lock (most can) thats even better. That's how I transport mine on my bike. Don't confuse a back pack as acceptable means on a bike---That will be construed as concealed carry, even though it is on your back and you cannot get into it while riding, it is on your body vice the vehicle.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Same rule applies. Gun unloaded inside a closed case in a saddle bag or storage area on the bike. I carry my loaded mags in the same saddle bag as the unloaded gun, but in a different case. If the saddle bag can lock (most can) thats even better. That's how I transport mine on my bike. Don't confuse a back pack as acceptable means on a bike---That will be construed as concealed carry, even though it is on your back and you cannot get into it while riding, it is on your body vice the vehicle.

I don't think so. It is a good idea but I don't think it is required. If you are read 4-203 , the exception that allows you to carry to the range is below. It allows for wearing and carrying(in case/enclosed holster), and you can't do either of those if the gun is in the trunk/saddlebag.

I'm no lawyer, just a jerk on the innernet :)

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    When I asked the MSP, I was told that carrying it in a back pack would be considered the same as carrying it on your body. The problem is, the law/s as written are vague at times, especially as it pertains to motorcycles. It would be up to the officer you deal with if it came up. If you have saddle bags, I wouldn't take a chance personally. If you have them in a saddle bag, that is a "compartment" by definition. Just make sure it is unloaded.

Again, I would reduce the risk or chance of an issue on a bike and use the saddle bags. Why take a chance, especially in this frakin' state?

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I actually never have a gun in my car when I'm going to the range. ;-) Lost them all while boating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom