• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    I'm in the process of getting ready to sell my HK45 and extra mags online through GB. I plan to get a copy of the buyer's FFL license and will send a copy of my DL to the FFL if required. I'll also ask the buyer to confirm his FFL will accept a handgun shipped from a non-licensed individual.

The question I have is whether I need a copy of the buyer's DL as part of the transaction process. I've searched but it's not clear. Can I just ask the buyer to send me his name and address? Thanks for your advice.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Where did the overnight rule come from. I know of two pretty large dealers near me that ship them 2-3 fedex express all the time. Not overnight.

Feb 28, 2013
    Any input on what type of info. I need from the buyer?

First thing you need from the buyer is his money. If his transferring dealer will accept your shipment, then you need his license emailed to you for CYA.

Once you get payment, and a copy of the dealer's license, go ahead and send it. Once the transferring dealer receives the gun it ceases to be your problem.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Any input on what type of info. I need from the buyer?

By law, all you need is the license info from the receiving FFL. You are transferring the gun to him, and he then transfers it to your buyer.

Some FFLs accept guns from non-licensees, some don't, it is a matter of their company policy.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Thanks for everyone's input. I've sold a shotgun online and shipped it to a verified FFL, but selling a handgun seems a bit more tricky. I'll have to talk to a local FFL and see if they'll work with me.

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks for everyone's input. I've sold a shotgun online and shipped it to a verified FFL, but selling a handgun seems a bit more tricky. I'll have to talk to a local FFL and see if they'll work with me.

Well, most states don't suck like MD does. So, if your buyer is in a normal state, then there really isn't anything tricky about it. Like I said, once your paid and you send the gun off to the transferring dealer on the other end, it is out of your hands.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Well, most states don't suck like MD does. So, if your buyer is in a normal state, then there really isn't anything tricky about it. Like I said, once your paid and you send the gun off to the transferring dealer on the other end, it is out of your hands.

Good point. I'll most likely end up listing it tomorrow. Thanks.

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    Note that if you use EZ-check at BATF, you will see that "The data obtained from this site is not a substitute for a certified copy of the license.". Nothing to obsess about, BUT I always get a shipping copy from the receiving FFL, or I tell my client to find another FFL. Life is too short to cut corners that might be sharp ! :)
    Brent

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Note that if you use EZ-check at BATF, you will see that "The data obtained from this site is not a substitute for a certified copy of the license.". Nothing to obsess about, BUT I always get a shipping copy from the receiving FFL, or I tell my client to find another FFL. Life is too short to cut corners that might be sharp ! :)
    Brent

Good advice. Thanks. It's listed FS now, but I'm having second thoughts about selling it. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom