• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Apologize if this has been covered before, but I found old and conflicting information when using the search function. I'm taking a two day rifle class this weekend a couple hours from home, so I planned on staying at a hotel for one night. Are there any MD laws I should be concerned with in regards to bringing my rifle and pistol into my hotel room? I would not leave them unattended in the room. I would check-in, bring them from my vehicle (unloaded and cased) into the room, and take them with me when I check out in the a.m. Also, any known anti-gun hotel chains to avoid? Thanks guys.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Most hotels are "don't ask, don't tell". Just don't make a big show of getting your guns in and out of your room and it's all good.

Depending on what/how many guns I am traveling with I sometimes run a "incognito" case like the blackhawk tennis racquet case. (won't fool sharp LE but will easily disguise your pieces from the average public)

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    It's been a long time since I've even seen a bellhop in a place that was less than $200/night. The desk people are either too busy with the next customer or with their cell phones to notice.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Your hotel room becomes your domicile for the time you are there.

Same for people with RVs. During the day when you are underway you have to follow FOPA strictures until you park for the night at a campground. Then your RV becomes your home, or domicile, until the wheels are in motion again.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Most hotels are "don't ask, don't tell". Just don't make a big show of getting your guns in and out of your room and it's all good.

Depending on what/how many guns I am traveling with I sometimes run a "incognito" case like the blackhawk tennis racquet case. (won't fool sharp LE but will easily disguise your pieces from the average public)

We were down at a week-long rifle match last year in N.C. There were a bunch of young people and adults carrying ARs into and out of the hotel. Mine were cased, but many were just open carried on the shoulders of folks who were participating.

It seemed perfectly normal down there as we walked right by the front desk....

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    2010 thread on this issue, with AG email

With respect to Maryland law, this question was thrashed to within an inch of its life in this 2010 thread on this forum:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=32069

See especially the posts there by ThatIsAFact (one of which quotes an email from an assistant attorney general) and Novus Collectus.

Keep in mind that the thread is five years old. There might be new case law on the issue that has been created in the interim. I am not aware of any, but then, I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    Your hotel room becomes your domicile for the time you are there.

Same for people with RVs. During the day when you are underway you have to follow FOPA strictures until you park for the night at a campground. Then your RV becomes your home, or domicile, until the wheels are in motion again.

Yes, this is my understanding as well. When I travel with mine, I have the Do Not Disturb Up if I leave a gun in the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom