• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I know it is illegal to manufacture, purchase, transfer and or sell mags over 20 rds. in MD.

Question: Is it legal for me to sell them to an out of state person? I am sitting on about 100 extra USGI 30rd. mags and looking to lighten the load.

Thanks in advance for the help. :D

Rob

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This is what the law says:

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines -- Prohibited

(a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.​

HISTORY: An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-5(b); 2002, ch. 26, § 2.

Emphasis is mine.

Our interpretation for the purposes of the management of the forum is that it is not permissible to offer them for sale, even if the actual transaction occurs outside of the state.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Thanks Norton, I was wanting to put them up on Gone-Broker and I wasn't sure if that applied to that situation. I didn't want to list them and have the MD flag flying along side of my name and get called out on there. :D

Makarov Kid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 7, 2012
    Commietown, Maryland
    I know it is illegal to manufacture, purchase, transfer and or sell mags over 20 rds. in MD.

Question: Is it legal for me to sell them to an out of state person? I am sitting on about 100 extra USGI 30rd. mags and looking to lighten the load.

Thanks in advance for the help. :D

Rob

I'd think you'd be able to sell out of state. You can't offer them for sale in MARYLAND, but Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and all the other states with no magazine restriction, you would be able to sell the 30 round magazines.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    But you can arrange for the sale out of state and go out of state and sell the mags.

I think the sticky part is: where are you when you are offering for sale, if you are in MD, sitting at your computer, you are in violation. If you stick them in a bag and go to a gun show in PA with a sign on your back, you are good to go.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If we are allowed to purchase it out of state, why not sell it out of state?

The "offer for sale" is the sticking point.

Does it mean "offer for sale in Maryland" or does it mean "offer for sale in Maryland".

There's a big difference and in typical Maryland fashion the law is written vaguely and is very much subject to the whims of interpretation.

Hence, we take the conservative position that even to offer them for sale while the seller is in Maryland is a violation, even if the actual transaction takes place elsewhere.

I don't like the circumstance any more than the next person, but in the interest of protecting this community and it's owner, it's a necessary precaution.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    But you can arrange for the sale out of state and go out of state and sell the mags.

Are you willing to be the test case? Seriously, this is uncharted territory.

At one point, there was an interpretation floating around that possession of the magazines was in violation. Fortunately, it gained no traction.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I think the sticky part is: where are you when you are offering for sale, if you are in MD, sitting at your computer, you are in violation. If you stick them in a bag and go to a gun show in PA with a sign on your back, you are good to go.

In that circumstance, my not-a-lawyer-but-I've-gotten-some-pretty-good-practice-at-interpreting-things opinion would concur that it would be nearly impossible to interpret that as a violation.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    Are you willing to be the test case? Seriously, this is uncharted territory.

At one point, there was an interpretation floating around that possession of the magazines was in violation. Fortunately, it gained no traction.

This is exactly my point. No, I don't want to be the lab rat either LOL. The part of me being in MD at my PC and listing the sale is the kicker.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This is exactly my point. No, I don't want to be the lab rat either LOL. The part of me being in MD at my PC and listing the sale is the kicker.

Again...my armchair opinion concurs. :thumbsup:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I would think "offer for sale" in the state of MD meaning sale and transfer in the state. I don't see it unlawful for someone to post them for sale on Gunbroker and state "Not for sale in MD or any other state where unlawful." IMO

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    Your best bet is to ask an attorny or go to the State Police and ask.

For 100 mags to sell, it be worth paying an attorny $100.00 to answer the question.

It's like getting a $30.00 taxi ride home after drinking. At first you're like, 30 bucks just for a ride home. Until you get that DUI and spend thousands and years of heartache.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Your best bet is to ask an attorny or go to the State Police and ask.

For 100 mags to sell, it be worth paying an attorny $100.00 to answer the question.

It's like getting a $30.00 taxi ride home after drinking. At first you're like, 30 bucks just for a ride home. Until you get that DUI and spend thousands and years of heartache.

good idea, there are a few attornies that are members here, I wonder how they interpret it?

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    There are companys in Md that ship mags ot of state. Atlantic Firearms, Fulton Armory, LWRC etc.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... If you stick them in a bag and go to a gun show in PA with a sign on your back, you are good to go.

This sounds like the simplest way. Why complicate things?

Of course, you will have to pay the capital gains tax just like everybody else.

Say, weren't you and I supposed to meet for lunch tomorrow in Shephardstown?

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    IMHO one may announce (or advertize, post, etc.) thier intention to offer them for sale in a state that permits such transfers.

There is a legal parellel for this, but it escapes me at this time. I am sure someone we be along to remind me shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom