question on laws regarding transport of firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    ok so i am a noob as you would call it to this site. but i am by no means a noob to firearms in general.since im not a md resident. i do not know the laws regarding firearm transport. if i were to want to take my weapons with me on a vacation to visit a friend. one can i do that if say my one friend and i wanted to go to a range. i prefer to use my own weapons but am not sure if i can do something like that and two if i can what are the procedures required since i know md is not a shall we say weapons friendly state to include there concealed carry laws. i live in florida and our laws are a bit different than md's. any information would be appreciated.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    As long as you follow FOPA you can transport without issue and it is considered a defense in a court of law should you go into New Jersey or New York. It has to be unloaded in a locked case/container and the ammo must be in a separate container, in a separate compartment than the firearm. You also can not have any loaded mags in the case/container as the weapon due to some states seeing that as a concealed weapon. Also as long as you are able to buy/own/possess the weapon(s) at your final destination in addition to the state you are starting from, you can not be charged with breaking any local laws. FOPA is an affirmative defense for the interstate transport of any firearm as long as you conform to the transport regulations contained in the Act.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    As long as you follow FOPA you can transport without issue and it is considered a defense in a court of law should you go into New Jersey or New York. It has to be unloaded in a locked case/container and the ammo must be in a separate container, in a separate compartment than the firearm. You also can not have any loaded mags in the case/container as the weapon due to some states seeing that as a concealed weapon. Also as long as you are able to buy/own/possess the weapon(s) at your final destination in addition to the state you are starting from, you can not be charged with breaking any local laws. FOPA is an affirmative defense for the interstate transport of any firearm as long as you conform to the transport regulations contained in the Act.

If you get pinched in NJ or NY, you may win the case in court, but you will be charged with something ie....for having an unlicensed gun (long or handgun).

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    For concealed carry laws, carefully review

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

before travel. Don't bet the farm on information from http://www.handgunlaw.us/ though, or any internet source. Use the links on http://www.handgunlaw.us/ to get current information directly from the official state agencies.

FOPA covers you for states you're passing through, I believe. If you drive from Florida to Pennsylvania, FOPA can cover you in all the intervening states, but not in Florida (your origin) nor Pennsylvania (your destination). And FOPA protection requires you to pass more-or-less directly through, without a bunch of lollygaggin'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

http://www.hardylaw.net/FOPA.html

Now don't count on anything I just told you. I'm just some idiot on the internet who doesn't know what he's blabbering about. You need to research some more yourself on the subject.

Do you have a Florida permit? http://www.handgunlaw.us/ will steer you to information on how each state does or doesn't recognize it. South Carolina doesn't, but I believe you can carry a loaded pistol in your glove compartment there, and in your hotel room.( Remember, I'm just some mental defective on the interwebs. Check it out at http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP )

Here's a thread about Maryland transport:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1806661#post1806661

and http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1817127&postcount=10

Come on back with any more questions.

Speaker2Wolves

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2012
    It has to be unloaded in a locked case/container and the ammo must be in a separate container, in a separate compartment than the firearm.

Only if your car doesn't have trunk.

As long as the weapon and ammo are not accessible to the driver's compartment they can be kept together. (With the weapon unloaded.) In the case where both are accessible to the driver (hatchback,) then you must have a locked case with the ammo in a separate container.

If you have a trunk, you can just throw your range bag in the trunk and you're good to go. Assuming it's unloaded, that is.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As above , follow the Federal standards to arrive at your destination ( friend or relative house , hotel, etc ) .

Once here , for you and friend to go to ( range, hunting , field trial , etc ) with handgun. You need to follow Md law. The fine print is slightly different as to method , but the kicker is directly to/ from the range ( or other aproved place/ activity) .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If you are transporting through VA read this:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm

Excerpt: As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked. OAG opinion 11-111.

You might also find this helpful: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Excerpt: In the instance of a traffic stop, should I advise the police officer that I have a concealed handgun permit?
    Virginia law does not require you to notify the officer that you have a permit. However, Section 18.2-308, of the Code of Virginia, requires you to be in possession of the permit whenever you are carrying a concealed handgun and to display the permit and a government-issued photo-identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Only if your car doesn't have trunk.

As long as the weapon and ammo are not accessible to the driver's compartment they can be kept together. (With the weapon unloaded.) In the case where both are accessible to the driver (hatchback,) then you must have a locked case with the ammo in a separate container.

If you have a trunk, you can just throw your range bag in the trunk and you're good to go. Assuming it's unloaded, that is.

FOPA actually says in a vehicle without a trunk, either the firearm OR the ammo must be locked up. Not trying to split hairs. Locking both seems a better idea.

FOPA Title 18 SS 926A:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm OR ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    ETA-No requirement for ammo and firearm to be separate or in separate containers either.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

you get F for geography. LOL

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    With the OP being an OTR driver it is unknown where he would be traveling through on his way to MD. I guess he should have said that in his original post...

Knowing the OP outside of the interwebz, I do know he has gone through quite a few states that aren't too friendly towards firearms (Illinois and New York come to mind).

I think what he is trying to ask is how he could transport from Florida to MD if he wanted to shoot at the range with me or some of his other friends and also not knowing where he will be routed to on his way up to MD. I might be wrong with that, but I don't think so.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    With the OP being an OTR driver it is unknown where he would be traveling through on his way to MD. I guess he should have said that in his original post...

Knowing the OP outside of the interwebz, I do know he has gone through quite a few states that aren't too friendly towards firearms (Illinois and New York come to mind).

I think what he is trying to ask is how he could transport from Florida to MD if he wanted to shoot at the range with me or some of his other friends and also not knowing where he will be routed to on his way up to MD. I might be wrong with that, but I don't think so.

you over thinking this.. he did say he is from florida and going to md to meet up w/ friends. ;)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    you over thinking this.. he did say he is from florida and going to md to meet up w/ friends. ;)

Quite possible! :innocent0

I think his issue is going out for a month to 2 months at a time and not knowing what states he is going to have to go thru until it might be too late. He is also a n00b when it comes to firearms transport laws, since he really hasn't had a need to do interstate transport of a firearm.

I do know the ribbing I was getting and I deserved it! :lol:

firefighter_21701

Aug 19, 2012
    FLORIDA
    as was mentioned by my friend i am an OTR Driver (18 wheels of steel). i appreciate all the responses. if this were to happen ( financial and time constraints are impeding my opportunities) i am better off now than i was when i wrote this post. thank you all for helping this FNG out. would love to be a more active member here in the forums but as it stands it gets harder to get on line everyday im out on the road. i do appreciate you all for helping out a FNG and appreciate the responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom