• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    I just bought my first Colt AR15 last week from a shop in PA. I live in MD. I just need to know if I have to do anything as far as the law is concerned. I already took the gun safety course. This is my first gun purchase and just wanted to make sure that everything is done properly.

Thanks for any suggestions,

John

watts

Jun 17, 2013
    moco
    He's saying that the shop may not know MD laws. At this point, I'm assuming you have the rifle in your possession? If so, it's either an HBAR or they sold you a rifle that you have to have transferred into the state through an FFL.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Is the Colt an HBAR? If it was regulated and you took possession of it...

Let's just assume it's a non-regulated heavy barrel rifle, and that was fine.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Do you have it in your possession? What model is it?

:thumbsup:

Before anyone can really answer anything more, we all need to know what it is you bought.

If it's an HBAR (heavy barrel) then this is a non-issue.

If it isn't a HBAR, things get a little more complicated.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Or Nate's suggestion is good too. You got what you got, and shut your trap. :D

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Do you have it in your possession? What model is it?

Don't answer the possession question. If it is a regulated firearm in MD, and a PA FFL sold it to you as cash and carry, you both may have violated federal law. Now if you haven't taken possession of a regulated firearm (correct answer by the way), you need to have the firearm shipped to an FFL in MD who will do the transfer for you. That process includes doing all the proper paperwork and submitting your 77R form to the MSP for review and processing.

The model is important because it may NOT be regulated in MD if it is a Heavy Barrel (HBAR) variant, and cash and carry is permitted.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Here is what I got:
    http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/Firearms/ColtMarksmanModelCRX-16.aspx

I was not allowed to leave with the 30rd magazine, nor would they sell me any handgun.

Yes I have it in my possession. My question is: what do I have to do? I was told by a few people that all was good and others said that I need it transfered.....

I am now worrying

John

Right there on the ad "Heavy weight barrel". You should be GTG.

By the way, congratulations on your purchase. I am green with envy.

GearDown

Mar 18, 2012
    MD
    Here is what I got:
    http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/Firearms/ColtMarksmanModelCRX-16.aspx

I was not allowed to leave with the 30rd magazine, nor would they sell me any handgun.

Yes I have it in my possession. My question is: what do I have to do? I was told by a few people that all was good and others said that I need it transfered.....

I am now worrying

John

I'm surprised he didn't let you keep your 30 round mag. It's totally legal to buy one out of state and bring it into the state IIRC.

watts

Jun 17, 2013
    moco
    Not sure why they wouldn't let you leave with the magazine. There was another thread about hicap magazines and some ATF instructions about selling them. Wonder if there's any truth to that.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I only see “Managanese-Phosphated” 4140 Chrome-Moly steel 16” mid-weight barrel.

Is mid weight the same?

John

So this what my laptop showed when I clicked the original link he provided:

"This rifle features a match-grade, air-gaged, polished 416 stainless steel 16” two diameter heavy weight custom barrel. The gas-operated, original direct-impingement system guarantees accuracy and the Geissele two-stage match trigger along with the Colt Competition “patented” low profile finger adjustable gas block is just a few of the enhancements to guarantee performance. Check out the specs and be prepared to be surprised, as you will not believe everything that is in this rifle. It’s time to get serious about your rifles."

jcpuskar

Jul 15, 2013
    Forest Hill, MD
    So this what my laptop showed when I clicked the original link he provided:

"This rifle features a match-grade, air-gaged, polished 416 stainless steel 16” two diameter heavy weight custom barrel. The gas-operated, original direct-impingement system guarantees accuracy and the Geissele two-stage match trigger along with the Colt Competition “patented” low profile finger adjustable gas block is just a few of the enhancements to guarantee performance. Check out the specs and be prepared to be surprised, as you will not believe everything that is in this rifle. It’s time to get serious about your rifles."

That was my fault. I pasted the wrong link then quickly resubmitted it. The model I got was the CRX-16 which is mid-weight. So I am back to my original question... Am I ok?

Sorry for the mixup! I appreciate all the responses:thumbsup:

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    So now I go back and hit the original link again, and it says:

We raised the bar by including things like a match-grade, air-gaged, “Managanese-Phosphated” 4140 Chrome-Moly steel 16” mid-weight barrel. And a gas-operated original direct-impingement system to guarantee accuracy as well as a Colt Competition “twin-port” muzzle brake.

Not sure WTH is going on. OP, how about providing the actual model number (forget the link)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom