• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    Friday, I'm walking, I round a corner and spook a tom. I come back this morning set up a female decoy, do some calling, the same tom hangs up about 20yds away where I can't see him. He came in without gobbling, I didn't know he was there, I get up to pee after sitting 4 hours and he spooks off in the same direction as friday.

Now this tom is in highly pressured public land, and he is very close to the parking area. In the morning all I hear is idiots running around making crow noises, but this tom doesn't gobble, I guess that is why he is still in the area.

I may go back this evening and try again, then skip sunday and try again monday.

My question is what can I do to improve this situation? He was spooked twice, what's the chance of him giving me a third chance? Is he gone for good? Did I lose this turkey? Should I try a hen+jake decoy to get him in faster?

Tips please? I really want to bag my first turkey and the season is winding down. Wwyd?

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    Good luck I have been getting my ass kicked by turkey's all season . Maybe place the decoys 20 yards behind you. And try some real soft calling but not a lot .

JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    Same here bro, what is even more frustrating is every outing I see a Tom or jake, haven't heard a gobble for about a week though, I guess that's why these birds are still here. Dang public land elusiveness. I'm hoping it'll charge a jake decoy instead of sitting next to me quiet, so when I need to stretch or pee I spook it :/

Jasen

Molon Labe
    Jul 30, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Has anyone been to the Frederick watershed this year? Perhaps a good spot to sit in. I'm going Wednesday morning for some turkey hunting before work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom