• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaysfiveohhh

Dec 15, 2012
    Baltimore MD
    ok i filled out paperwork feb 16th. i know everything is crazy right now and the wait time is obserdly long because to this date the seller still hasnt gotten my approval papers in the mail yet. my question is i purchased online another firearm but the ffl wont send in my paperwork because they said the 30 days is from when i take posession of the fire arm not from when i filled the paperwork out. does anyone know if the 30 days is from the time of filling out the paperwork, 7 days after(which to my knowledge is the md law when u can take possesion of the firearm). i know on the paperwork done at the msp there is only the date of paperwork theres no date for when u get gun cuz thats up to the buyer and seller after the 7 days. so theres no real proof on the paperwork which is y you do a bill of sale.

i need to know if on the new paperwork i should say yes or no to the question when it asks if i have bought one in the last 30 days??? my collectors licese is at the msp and will be back in a week or 2 at the longeest i hope(i have an in there...lol)

any help on this would be great!!!

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    pretty sure it is when you take posession, and I would just tell your FFL your designated collector is on the way.

when it arrives, go down with that and then he can send the second batch in

only a week or two longer, who's counting?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You know what else, if you have an "in" at MSP, how about asking your "in" what the process on the 2nd purchase would be instead of coming on here and asking. Heck, your "in" has got to have better intel than the rest of us here without an "in" or a job at the MSP Licensing Division.

jaysfiveohhh

Dec 15, 2012
    Baltimore MD
    im ok with the weight but little to my knowledge the ffl i went with this time charges a storage fee untill the send the new paperwork out. yipee.......

nope still no paperwork from feb 16! luckily i bought it from a friend so i know its just sitting in the safe since we did paperwork...lol

my in works in a diff dept but knows lots of people. i have her working on finding an official answer but of course shes off this week! figures....lol

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    im ok with the weight but little to my knowledge the ffl i went with this time charges a storage fee untill the send the new paperwork out. yipee.......

nope still no paperwork from feb 16! luckily i bought it from a friend so i know its just sitting in the safe since we did paperwork...lol

my in works in a diff dept but knows lots of people. i have her working on finding an official answer but of course shes off this week! figures....lol

If you bought it from a friend and it was a private sale (ie he's not an ffl) he can release to you after 7 days. Go pick the sucker up!

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    pretty sure it is when you take posession, and I would just tell your FFL your designated collector is on the way.

when it arrives, go down with that and then he can send the second batch in

only a week or two longer, who's counting?

That's fine as long as his DC status is in the MSP system when they are processing his paperwork. But I hear that is taking forever as well.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    You know what else, if you have an "in" at MSP, how about asking your "in" what the process on the 2nd purchase would be instead of coming on here and asking. Heck, your "in" has got to have better intel than the rest of us here without an "in" or a job at the MSP Licensing Division.

I don't have an "in" at the MSP, however back when I applied for my DC it was also taking longer than it should due to the one lady that processed DC apps retired. I called and talked to a trooper that was filling in for her at the time and asked him about my app. While he had me on the phone he just looked through the pile of applications to find mine. He then approved me right then and put me in their system. He told me I was good to go and for me to just tell any FFL that I am a DC.

He said he didn't know how long it would take to get my DC letter to me and if any FFL questioned me to just ask them to call the MSP.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I don't have an "in" at the MSP, however back when I applied for my DC it was also taking longer than it should due to the one lady that processed DC apps retired. I called and talked to a trooper that was filling in for her at the time and asked him about my app. While he had me on the phone he just looked through the pile of applications to find mine. He then approved me right then and put me in their system. He told me I was good to go and for me to just tell any FFL that I am a DC.

He said he didn't know how long it would take to get my DC letter to me and if any FFL questioned me to just ask them to call the MSP.

I seriously doubt they will be looking through the stack nowadays just because somebody calls. I know I hardly received any time on the phone earlier in the month because "all the lights were blinking."

I also would not take the chance on the Form 77r by checking the box that I am a designated collector, under the penalty of perjury, without having that DC approval letter in hand. Just way too much for me to lose from a perjury charge. I'd be looking for a new profession, and that would suck.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I seriously doubt they will be looking through the stack nowadays just because somebody calls. I know I hardly received any time on the phone earlier in the month because "all the lights were blinking."

I also would not take the chance on the Form 77r by checking the box that I am a designated collector, under the penalty of perjury, without having that DC approval letter in hand. Just way too much for me to lose from a perjury charge. I'd be looking for a new profession, and that would suck.

You may be right. I was talking two years ago. But you do not know for sure unless you make the call. Everyone I have ever talked to at the MSP was always very helpful.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You may be right. I was talking two years ago. But you do not know for sure unless you make the call. Everyone I have ever talked to at the MSP was always very helpful.

I called twice at the beginning of the month. The first woman I spoke to was less than helpful, but the 2nd lady I spoke to, Ms. Brock, was extremely helpful. Not as helpful as taking my DC application, pulling it from the stack, and approving it, but helpful enough to take the time to answer my questions.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I called twice at the beginning of the month. The first woman I spoke to was less than helpful, but the 2nd lady I spoke to, Ms. Brock, was extremely helpful. Not as helpful as taking my DC application, pulling it from the stack, and approving it, but helpful enough to take the time to answer my questions.

Could she tell you if you were approved? I assume not because if she could, (or wanted to) she would have. It will happen. Two years ago they were just backed up because the lady retired and troopers were just filling in. But now I assume they are flooded with apps and pulling one from the stack is not as easy.

Call he back and ask her if she will do that for you and tell her your asking because you have an opportunity to buy something but need to be on the list first. When it was done for me it took 3 seconds so there is no background check or anything. I think it's just a matter of adding you name to the list.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Could she tell you if you were approved? I assume not because if she could, (or wanted to) she would have. It will happen. Two years ago they were just backed up because the lady retired and troopers were just filling in. But now I assume they are flooded with apps and pulling one from the stack is not as easy.

Call he back and ask her if she will do that for you and tell her your asking because you have an opportunity to buy something but need to be on the list first. When it was done for me it took 3 seconds so there is no background check or anything. I think it's just a matter of adding you name to the list.

I received my DC approval letter the day after I spoke to the woman. Don't know if that was a coincidence or if she pulled it from the stack. Guessing it was more of a coincidence since everybody else was getting them back around the 5 week mark and that was where I was at. March 1 to April 6.

I am pretty sure they are completely flooded. I have never bought this many firearms in a 3 month stretch in my entire life. Heck, have not bought this many in a 5 year stretch ever either. Pretty sure plenty of others are doing the same thing as me, if not more so.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Your FFL is wrong.

You cannot pick up a second one until 30 days after. If for some strange reason your paperwork were to come back inside of 30 days, the MSP would just mark it to not allow delivery until a certain date.

Find another FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom