• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    And $100.00 for a title. Screw that.

wow what a bunch of crap. rather than having kids sit at home behind the tv or computer, they could be out getting some fun and exercise, but putting all this cost and hassle in place definitely cuts down on that.

me and family and friends used to ride the DNR trails near deep creek, and also the green ridge trails before they were closed. maybe just 3-4 years ago. remember just something like $35/year/vehicle sticker and no insurance, title or similar requirements.

there are some PA state ATV (no dirt bike which is crap) trials near Michaux St Forest I have done - PA requires title and proof of insurance which again is just over-reach for what is a fun way to pass the time.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Pa requires an affadavit of ownership and ins.. i have both. I do ride outlaw trails in southern wv. Don't like to spend money in md

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    I have heard nothing but complaints on this board and others for years now that "there is no where to ride legally" Well, the state of Md. is going to open up the vast trail system that is already in place in Western Md.. (this is going to happen) Of course there will be a fee and your bike will need a title. I don't see the issue here.

Owning/riding atv's or dirt bikes is not a cheap hobby. I occassionally race harescrambles and I easily drop $250-$300 in one weekend to do that. I also pay feed to ride other trail systems, parts and upkeep fuel and travel and pretty soon you realize this is not a sport for the unemployed that's for sure.

If you are too cheap to drop a one time fee of $100 to make your ride legal therefore being allowed to ride state trails legally then remember that the next time you are complaining there is no where to ride.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I have heard nothing but complaints on this board and others for years now that "there is no where to ride legally" Well, the state of Md. is going to open up the vast trail system that is already in place in Western Md.. (this is going to happen) Of course there will be a fee and your bike will need a title. I don't see the issue here. snip

If you are too cheap to drop a one time fee of $100 to make your ride legal therefore being allowed to ride state trails legally then remember that the next time you are complaining there is no where to ride.

The state closed almost 30 miles of trails years ago, and now people are happy with 15 miles being opened up? I am closer to the PA state trails. I have more fun and freedom at Hatfield and the outlaw trails. With 4 ATVs your talking 400 bucks plus...sales TAX and of course what ever the fee is to ride the new trail. I pay Highway tax on the gas I put in my ATV.. You are correct, riding is not a cheap sport.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    The 15 miles is just the trail head. they will eventually open over 250 miles of trail. Titles for ATV's and dirtbikes are pretty much common place now.

Quite the drive form Carrol County to Hatifeld McCoy trails.

JRMills

Feb 20, 2012
    USA
    I have no problem getting a title or the person with the title getting the sticker. I was just trying to see if a group was interested and getting together to ride, and if there was anyone that had land interested in hosting everyone.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    IMO it'd be a waste to pay 100 bucks, plus taxes etc to ride on a lousy 15 mile gravel road, thats so good, cars can travel it. Green ridge and poplar lick was bad enough. As mentioned earlier, wolf den in kitzmiller would be your best bet, which you can also camp.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    IMO it'd be a waste to pay 100 bucks, plus taxes etc to ride on a lousy 15 mile gravel road, thats so good, cars can travel it. Green ridge and poplar lick was bad enough. As mentioned earlier, wolf den in kitzmiller would be your best bet, which you can also camp.

jerkoff2.gif

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I agree for public riding it's pretty lame/pricey in comparison to other states, but at least this state is offering something again.

I stretch my ATV's legs in WV on Private and Public land.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    I agree for public riding it's pretty lame/pricey in comparison to other states, but at least this state is offering something again.

I stretch my ATV's legs in WV on Private and Public land.

Yes, it would get pricey, especially if purchasing the machine new. Taxes would add up pretty good. I was just stating the a place like wolf den, you can pay 20 bucks per day, or 150 a year. They offer free anytime camping, well over 100 miles of trails, river to swim in, etc. I dont drink, but alcohol is allowed as well. I don't agree with the idiots up there riding under the influence, especially when kids are present. Seen a few crashes there because of booze cruisin' or whatever they snort,smoke, etc lol

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    [...] open up the vast trail system that is already in place in Western Md..

I often wonder about the definition of "vast".

Not your defintion, but DNR's.

When I look at the current trail system (and what was lost) and how short, limited and rationed it is and how long it has been since they closed Green Ridge, I can't justify the ride time (I don't tow to a riding area, I ride my ride :D) and distance to ride 7 or 11 miles or approved marked trail where I'm not going to be challenged, have fun and/or be unable to get a smile my face.

I will ride the big distances when the challenge, fun and smile is to be had.

Rode to the ANF (Allegheny National Forest) last summer and spent two weeks there riding 3 of the 5 trail systems.

Also spent time on "other trails".

Smile has not left me yet; even with the cold weather onset.

I just don't get the concept of short, designated trails, which have ceilings on the number of riders that an ride them in a 24 hour period.

Or am I missing something?

Oh yeah, and don't even get my started on the ATV OK, but < 3 wheels NOT in the PA trail system. :mad54:

If I could, tar would only used to get to the next bit of dirt.

I hope the changes you mention are coming soon to a distance of less than 120 miles near me (I am in Brunswick).

Because at that distance I can ride to Mountain Ridge ATV, visit the parentals, friends and ride +2500 acres any which way I can for $15/day.

Perhaps we should get a group together :D

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    I have no problem getting a title or the person with the title getting the sticker. I was just trying to see if a group was interested and getting together to ride, and if there was anyone that had land interested in hosting everyone.

I'm in!

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    I often wonder about the definition of "vast".

Not your defintion, but DNR's.

When I look at the current trail system (and what was lost) and how short, limited and rationed it is and how long it has been since they closed Green Ridge, I can't justify the ride time (I don't tow to a riding area, I ride my ride :D) and distance to ride 7 or 11 miles or approved marked trail where I'm not going to be challenged, have fun and/or be unable to get a smile my face.

I will ride the big distances when the challenge, fun and smile is to be had.

Rode to the ANF (Allegheny National Forest) last summer and spent two weeks there riding 3 of the 5 trail systems.

Also spent time on "other trails".

Smile has not left me yet; even with the cold weather onset.

I just don't get the concept of short, designated trails, which have ceilings on the number of riders that an ride them in a 24 hour period.

Or am I missing something?

Oh yeah, and don't even get my started on the ATV OK, but < 3 wheels NOT in the PA trail system. :mad54:

If I could, tar would only used to get to the next bit of dirt.

I hope the changes you mention are coming soon to a distance of less than 120 miles near me (I am in Brunswick).

Because at that distance I can ride to Mountain Ridge ATV, visit the parentals, friends and ride +2500 acres any which way I can for $15/day.

Perhaps we should get a group together :D

Apparently, People don't quite understand what the State of Md. and the MD OHV Alliance along with numerous other entities are trying to do in the state of Md.

the 15 mile loop is NOT the whole trail system. It is just the trail head. And actually only one of the trail heads. Md's offroad communitiy and orgaizations has made unbelievable progress getting Md. to open the trails that are already in place. I am NOT talking about Green ridge trail or Savage River ohv trail. I am talking about the trails that have been rode illegally for 30+ years. They have also passed legislation that relieves the burden of liability to private land owners allowing OHV access to private land all through Garrett and Allegany County.This includes MANY coal companies in our area. And if you ride in our area you know how much land that adds up to be.

Yes, these trails are VAST and make Mountain Ridge ATV resort look tiny. These trails will ultimately run from Dans' mountain down into Westernport, up across Savage Mt and into Meadow mountain. and ultimately across into Keyser and into thier huge trail system. This is a series of trails that are over 250 miles.
    Is this better than Hatfield McCoy? Absolutely not, is it better than we have now? Hell Yes.

But it seems that instead of working with the organizations that are trying to get this done and supporting them in their effort to make this trail system a reality and availabale to everyone, all people on this board want to do is piss and moan about what was once, or what is currently available as a precursor of what's to come.

www.mdohvalliance.org

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Apparently, People don't quite understand what the State of Md. and the MD OHV Alliance along with numerous other entities are trying to do in the state of Md.

the 15 mile loop is NOT the whole trail system. It is just the trail head. And actually only one of the trail heads. Md's offroad communitiy and orgaizations has made unbelievable progress getting Md. to open the trails that are already in place. I am NOT talking about Green ridge trail or Savage River ohv trail. I am talking about the trails that have been rode illegally for 30+ years. They have also passed legislation that relieves the burden of liability to private land owners allowing OHV access to private land all through Garrett and Allegany County.This includes MANY coal companies in our area. And if you ride in our area you know how much land that adds up to be.

Yes, these trails are VAST and make Mountain Ridge ATV resort look tiny. These trails will ultimately run from Dans' mountain down into Westernport, up across Savage Mt and into Meadow mountain. and ultimately across into Keyser and into thier huge trail system. This is a series of trails that are over 250 miles.
    Is this better than Hatfield McCoy? Absolutely not, is it better than we have now? Hell Yes.

But it seems that instead of working with the organizations that are trying to get this done and supporting them in their effort to make this trail system a reality and availabale to everyone, all people on this board want to do is piss and moan about what was once, or what is currently available as a precursor of what's to come.

www.mdohvalliance.org

Don't see many coal companies hopping onboard with this, if any. They already have plenty of issues with riders tearing up land, and equipment.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Not trying to be a negative Nelly but the title thing sucks. I don't mind a registration (atv) . Some atvs are old and titles may have never been titled.
    I do appreciate the work the Alliance has and is doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom