• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Looking for some input to many choices for me to decide.

Looking for a carbine length railed handguard to put on colt 6920. I don't really need a free float just some thing two piece that I can easily attach to my current barrelnut.

Suggestions?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Knight's Armament RAS. They sell seconds for $150, or if you look around you can find surplus ones for less. Be careful though as there are fakes out there.

m4_carbine_ras_98064_pic.jpg

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Knight's Armament RAS. They sell seconds for $150, or if you look around you can find surplus ones for less. Be careful though as there are fakes out there.

m4_carbine_ras_98064_pic.jpg

Knights. YHM also makes drop ins. I had airsoft UTG on my AR until my funds got better. Now I have a free float YHM lightweight. I like it alot. Aesthetically knights is my favorite but the YHM is so good at what it does.

Dec 6, 2011
    2nd on Omega. It's an excellent rail. If you are thinking about a piston upgrade at some point just get the piston rail. The difference is that the top can be removed to adjust the throw of the push rod and the distance of the gas block from the barrel step.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    2nd on Omega. It's an excellent rail. If you are thinking about a piston upgrade at some point just get the piston rail. The difference is that the top can be removed to adjust the throw of the push rod and the distance of the gas block from the barrel step.

smokey does not endorse piston conversions on perfectly good DI's

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    I read somewhere that the DD Omega is not compatible with my 6920 barrelnut ? I was also under the impression that a freefloat system would need some type of gunsmithing? Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to the AR scene.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I too have the DD omega 7. At the time I had almost no AR experience and it was simple to install. No smithing required, mounts in minutes and floats the barrel. A little more expensive than the OP wanted but IMHO well worth the money given how light and easy it was to install.

Other FF hand guards (that don require a smith) require you to cut the delta ring off. The DD doesn't.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just bear in mind, the only downside to the DD Omega (unless they've changed it), is those 4 damned set-screws, they can take forever to get tightened down, aside from that though, it's been a good rail. Have one on my D.I. upper.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    Centurion C4 rails are pretty nice and they clamp to your barrel nut. The delta ring will have to be removed. The factory second KAC RAS are nice too. Troy also makes a drop in but, here too, the delta ring has to come off.

I'm not a big YHM fan myself but I also know not to judge a product's quality based on whether or not the military buys it. Just sayin'

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Centurion C4 rails are pretty nice and they clamp to your barrel nut. The delta ring will have to be removed. The factory second KAC RAS are nice too. Troy also makes a drop in but, here too, the delta ring has to come off.

I'm not a big YHM fan myself but I also know not to judge a product's quality based on whether or not the military buys it. Just sayin'

2011-07-29 09.13.29.jpg
    I've got a yhm diamond free float tube on mine. You've got to take off the muzzle device, gas block, and replace the barrel nut to put it on. The barrel nut that comes with it is huuuge and really, really solid. I trust it much more than the factory nut. The rail iself screws in to the barrel nut and is kept in place with a lock nut and screws that index into slots in the rail to keep it from backing off or shifting around. Everything about this rail is solid and done superbly. I've been happy with it except for one thing, it's huge.

I don't have small hands, but I don't have gigantic meat-hooks for hands either. For the rail to feel comfortablee, I need ladder rail covers where my hand would be placed at the 9 oclock position. Many of the dd rails i've played with have been much smaller and easier to get a full grip on.

For the price, YHM is hard to beat in quality...as long as your ergos work with it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Let me ask you a question. How many government contracts did YHM get in the last 5 years? I'll answer it for you. NONE!!

Let me ask you a question. How many AR' s have you worked on? Ive seen 2 piece DD Rails shoot loose, torque the AR receiver and cause gas tube allignment isssues, and bend with not very much force added.

I m not crap talking all DD products, just their 2 Piece rails.

Aparently you cant comprehend what I say because I shit talk all 2 piece FF and Non FF rails. Not just DD. 2 Piece units are for ease of application, not for optimum durability or function.

People "think" that by paying hundred or more for rails means they get better rails, its not true in all instances. Some cheap rails are cheap, some mid priced do all the high ends ones do, some expensive rails are not worth what the cheap ones cost.

Govt acceptance is not a stamp of excellence in all cases. People get the 2 piece ones because they buy other idiots koolaid.

Pick or defend your purchases all you want, be prepered for me to not agree and let you know my experience buries yours. Or you could go make your 20th thread about your favorite shop, or make some stupid counter review on the PPQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom