• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    ok guys you helped me out with the auto body shop - now when it comes to propane in southern maryland. I need to buy a new tank and get it filled. who would be best to deal with?

taylor? suburban? who?

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I have Southern MD oil. They are great to work with and have a plan you can do monthly payments on instead of one lump paymet when the tank is filled. They also lease or sell the tank. Mine is buried and putting it in was reasonable.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've had accounts with United and Suburban, and both will screw you in a heartbeat.

The very best method is to buy and own your own tanks. This is the only way to keep costs down, since you can shop (and negotiate) fuel prices **EVERY** time you buy, and buy it when YOU want your tanks filled.

Otherwise, they'll either charge you "market price" (which goes up faster than the price of crude oil, but drops back off slower than molasses), or you can get on a service contract and pay a stable, high price that will ensure profitability of the propane company no matter what oil prices do.

They'll drag their heels and resist filling your tank before it gets cold, since prices are down when it's warm. As soon as it gets cold and prices jump, they want to keep it topped off. I have seen propane jump from $2.xx/gallon to $4.xx/gallon right after first frost.

Get your own tank(s)....

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Whoever you choose has to be better than Lee Gas Supply in White Plains, I've dealt with them for the past 10 years for residential heating for the fireplace and once this tank of gas is gone so are they.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    ok guys you helped me out with the auto body shop - now when it comes to propane in southern maryland. I need to buy a new tank and get it filled. who would be best to deal with?

taylor? suburban? who?

I have to ask... is this for residential utility or the grill ?

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Strickland_Propane.jpg

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    due to construction my boiler has just been running off of two rv tanks for the last year for domestic hot water, but I've been getting the boiler hooked up for radiant floor heating and if I try running the heat one of those little tanks lasts a few days. So it's time to bring back the big tank.

a 1000 gallon tank would last me a full year of winter - probably more than 2 years with the usual 3 month winter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I only use LP for kitchen stove, so not critical for me.
    Started with Suburban, they ticked me off, I switched to Chaney's. They they left the LP bussiness, and sold their accounts to Suburban. Since then they treated me ok. Of course my annual consumption of LP doesn't run as much a tank of gasoline for the wife . If I ever get arount tob hooking up the radient heater in downstairs, I'll have to pay more attention.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    We get ours from Southern States. Their prices were competitive and they set us up on a revolving credit through Farm Plan so we pay it off throughout the year. We just use it for heating and cooking at our house. Refill is set up to be automatic or I could call them if we got too low.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    above ground residential so most likely one or two 100gallon tanks.

In this case I would suggest buying your tanks and have them filled yourself. I don';t know how your back is these days, but, my father simply bought a 50 gallon tank and he just takes it to be refilled when he needs it. That way he don't have to pay the delivery surcharges and the other fees associated with the company making the delivery. There are a ton of places where you can get your grill tank refilled, so, haul the 100 pounder in there and have them fill it. There's a guy here in Indian Head that runs his own LP business with 100 tanks and a hand truck off of his tow behind trailer. There's a ton of options besides home delivery.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    In this case I would suggest buying your tanks and have them filled yourself. I don';t know how your back is these days, but, my father simply bought a 50 gallon tank and he just takes it to be refilled when he needs it. That way he don't have to pay the delivery surcharges and the other fees associated with the company making the delivery. There are a ton of places where you can get your grill tank refilled, so, haul the 100 pounder in there and have them fill it. There's a guy here in Indian Head that runs his own LP business with 100 tanks and a hand truck off of his tow behind trailer. There's a ton of options besides home delivery.

sure you aren't thinking about the 100lb tanks? nto the 100 gallon (500lb)?

I'd love to get my hands on a couple of gently used 100 gallon tanks. By law I can have up to 4 of them strung together. and that would save me the hassle of the propane company wanting to deliver and install and charge me an outragious amount of money.

6-Speed

Mar 9, 2009
    MD
    We have Taylor. When we bought the house in December we rolled the previous owners account into out name. From talking with coworkers and previous owner of our house, Taylor always seemed to be the cheapest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom