• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lostsole

Feb 28, 2011
    North West Balto Co
    I was interested in a Mosin listed in the classifieds and the seller stated that he would prefer to do the transfer at a State Police Barracks. My understanding was that a private rifle sale was just a bill of sale and payment and you're on your way. I decided to call the MSP in Pikesville to ask what is proper. After a Laurel and Hardy skit (getting 10 answers between explaining it again & again), I was told you just need a bill of sale. So I asked the next obvious question (at least in my mind); Why do I need a quick check done when I buy from a store but no verification done on a private sale. I never got an answer for this question. Would every one agree that a private non-regulated firearm sale is basically cash and carry? If the seller is set on transfering at the State Police, what would they do if we showed up for this?
    I know Maryland firearm laws make no sense, but why no quick check for individual sales?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The MSP may not even agree to transfer it. Its definately not a regulated firearm.

MSP pnly transfers regulated firearms. Non regulated are FTF or if you want to play safe then just use a MDS industry partner to transfer, it can be done with a NICS instacheck as you stand there. No wait.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Agreed that the MSP isn't going to want anything to do with this, but an FFL would.

There are some people who do not want the potential liability of having sold even a non-regulated firearm to an individual.

Many people here will not do FTF sales and insist on going through an FFL.

It's an understandable concern.

dmck

Sep 9, 2011
    maryland always has a loophole for themselves like paperwork saying not disaproved. in this case the way they work the long gun's are that they say you can sell it to an individual as long as you know that he/she is lawfully allowed to own a long gun. that is their loophole in the long gun side. the only way an individual could know that is if they called the feds themself. just sell it and get a quick receipt with it it is easy as that ....as far as the dealer having to call it in they have to do it to keep their license. it only takes a sec most the time so its not a big deal ....atleast we can still get them the same day most of the time......

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This nonsense is Federal nonsense, not state.

As for eliminating FTF sales without full background checks, that is one of the intermediate goals of those who seek to outlaw private gun ownership.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I met another member at MSP Jessup on yesterday and he brought his Styer for another MDS memeber. it was in the same case as the one I was buying which was regulated. the Sgt realized that it is NOT regulated and he witnessed the FTF transfer of a non-regualated rifle.

I don't know why the seller insists on transferring a NON REGULATED Rifle....thats stupid. RU sure he just wants to meet at MSP or does he wnat to do thetranfer?? If you go to state police and try the will LAUGH at you!!!

DON'T BUY IT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom