• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    However, Lee specifically says no Federal primers in their Lee Hand Primer Tool. Too soft.

About the only thing I load with hand priming these days are my precision .308 rounds, and using a Lee Hand Primer and Federal 210M match primers. :)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    True story.....

:shocked3:

Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee page 85 in bold print halfway down:

Do not use Federal primers in a Lee Auto-Prime!

The same page has restrictions on the number of certain Winchester primers that should be loaded in the tray at one time. Winchester Large Rifle should be limited to only 10 primers at a time and some other types are limited to no more than 20.

No chit!!!!!!!! I've NEVER seen that.

I can't tell you how many that I've successfully loaded in the Auto-Prime.
    Thousands. Literally...... thousands.

My routine is always the same. Slow, steady, even pressure.

(Insert emoticon showing tugging on my collar, eyes wide open, and gulping air!)

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I never heard of that either. One would think the Lee and RCBS hand primers would be equally lethal. Thinking and knowing can be different. No doubt some one some where had a primer disaster and a lawyer.

Great. As a new reloader who is already nervous about priming, now I've got even less confidence in my RCBS hand primer...and the Fed 155s I just bought more of. Please tell me I'll be ok.:sad20:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Great. As a new reloader who is already nervous about priming, now I've got even less confidence in my RCBS hand primer...and the Fed 155s I just bought more of. Please tell me I'll be ok.:sad20:

I have yet to pop one in my Lee equipment, but I'm not flying through primers like some folks do here.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I have yet to pop one in my Lee equipment, but I'm not flying through primers like some folks do here.

Like Jim said, "I have yet to pop one in my Lee equipment", and I've been using the same Auto-Prime since '79 or '80.

I've never popped a primer, but, a good friend was using my Dillon RL-550B and loading some cheap 9mm brass (Magtech) and the 'ring' of the primer stayed in the primer pocket, and the new primer going in, detonated with a very loud "POP!!!!!"

My friend wouldn't wear eye protection (that I had offered him!) before the primer detonation, but, he sure asked for it, afterwards!!!!!!!!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Like Jim said, "I have yet to pop one in my Lee equipment", and I've been using the same Auto-Prime since '79 or '80.

I've never popped a primer, but, a good friend was using my Dillon RL-550B and loading some cheap 9mm brass (Magtech) and the 'ring' of the primer stayed in the primer pocket, and the new primer going in, detonated with a very loud "POP!!!!!"

My friend wouldn't wear eye protection (that I had offered him!) before the primer detonation, but, he sure asked for it, afterwards!!!!!!!!

Ear protection from the primer, or from the Mrs.?

Probably both!:D

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I always wear eyes. Don't laugh too hard, but I've considered wearing ears for priming. My hearing has been extremely sensitive my whole life, and the thought of a primer going off right in front of me...well changing my drawers after would be the least of my worries!

Hopefully I'll get over it as I gain more uneventful experience. I load single stage so I should notice if there are any obstructions in the pocket.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have popped a primer several times when using a Lee Loader (the Wack-a-Mole type) no big deal even though you are holding the primer seater in your hand. It is a surprise :shocked2: moment. One reason I got a Lee Auto-Prime.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014

I found this on Fireingline.com by Tom C. I don't know if Mr. C is someone significant in the firearms industry or just a writer.

"I wrote the NRA reloading course and manual back in 1997. While I was doing it Richard Lee sent me a video of their test setup. They took a Lee Auto Prime with a full tray of primers. Primed a 30-06 case, and then allowed a live primer under the case with a live primer in it. The handle was then tightened up against the case like you were trying to force a primer into a case that already had one. The handle was tapped in that position under tension.

"The Auto prime was mounted in a box at an angle like you were using it to prime and all the other primers on the side of the tray by the case. The box had a Plexiglas front and a propane torch inside the box was aimed at the top of the 30-06 case with the live primer in it. Eventually the heat gets to the primer in the case and it goes off. With CCI and Winchester the resulting reaction barley blows the cover off the Auto prime and at most one or two additional primers go off. With Federal the whole tool comes apart and lots of other primers go off and fly around in the box. Richard Lee told me that was the whole reason that they recommended against Federal primers in the auto prime."

I've been using my RCBS for 20 years and am sure I loaded 15,000 Fed rifle primers without a problem. I see their newer hand primer is substantially different than my own. No comment or the relative safety between the two with only a parts diagram to look at on the Internet.

The above study only proves a chain reaction is possible with Federal primers in a Lee Auto Prime under those conditions. It does not prove that Federal primers are more likely to detonate without the use of a torch. If you try to prime a case with a primer and a hand primer, you know it immediately, so I don't see that as mechanism of explosion.

I'm keeping my RCBS but I also conclude that use of tempered prescription glasses are inadequate protection during reloading.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    BigDaddy,
    Interesting post, thanks.
    I was aware of this recommendation by Lee but did not know how they arrived at that conclusion. I also seem to remember that Dillon recommended that only Winchester and CCI be used in their progressive presses.
    My only bad experience with Federal primers was when they doubled in my MAS 49/56. I now tend to avoid them in auto loading rifles's but not for bolt actions.
    During the past couple of years, like everyone else, I'm taking what I can get.
    DocAich

mgrs

Nov 30, 2013
    BigDaddy,
    Interesting post, thanks.
    I was aware of this recommendation by Lee but did not know how they arrived at that conclusion. I also seem to remember that Dillon recommended that only Winchester and CCI be used in their progressive presses.
    My only bad experience with Federal primers was when they doubled in my MAS 49/56. I now tend to avoid them in auto loading rifles's but not for bolt actions.
    During the past couple of years, like everyone else, I'm taking what I can get.
    DocAich

Have not popped a single primer in my Dillon, but I have popped them in my lee single stage with priming ram. I think they were Remington 6.5s and the cases were not fully swaged.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    To answer the OP's original post, I haven't really found any difference in CCI, Federal, Remington or S&B primers especially for target ammo. So basically I just buy whatever is on sale.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Used Remington and CCI in RCBS hand primer and Lock n Load progressive without issue. CCI is a bit harder I would say than the Remington.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom