• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Can someone list their favorite "small pistol" primers in order of preference?

I just started reloading 9mm and 40 S&W so I have VERY limited knowledge when it comes to any/all reloading components. I have used Winchester SPP's and S&B SPP's, and I prefer the S&B.

The Winchester SPP's seem to be harder than the S&B.

And the S&B are half the price of the Winchesters. $210.00 for 10,000 shipped including the Haz-mat fee.

What are your thoughts?

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    For target/practice ammunition, I haven't seen much difference in the different manufacturers. I do really like winchester primers when I want something repeatable. I have personally had the best acciracy from Winchester with CCI either being as good or really close.

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    I have found no reloading difference between primers.
    I find the Federal packaging to be a pain. I hate trying to opening the 100 primer package and the 1000 box is WAY too big.
    I find the CCI primers can be harder for light trigger pull guns to ignite.
    I find Winchester just works--first time, every time.
    I find Remington just works, but I hate that they don't clearly label the primers as small pistol and small magnum pistol, etc.
    So, between those, I tend to grab Winchester, if all else is equal. If the prices are different, I go for the least expensive.
    I haven't tried my Tulammo primers yet.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I have no order of preference.
    I like S&B and TulAmmo because they are cheaper and seem to work as well as the Winchester and CCI that I have also used. I have used 10,000 S&Bs and was sorry to run out, I am presently into about 7000th Tulammo without a complaint. I especially like that the TulAmmo ones are all oriented the same way in the package and I don't have to flip them.
    I also dislike the packaging on the Federals. I have some Remington SPs that I have yet to use.
    If you can get the S&Bs at that price, get them.
    DocAitch.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I got a great deal on 5K S&B and have used about 1500 and never had a single issue. Also have used a lot of Tulammo and Winchester primers without an issue.

Come to think of it, I've never had a primer fail on me yet. Even Tula Berdan primers that I thought I seated too deep and crushed, they ignited just fine.

So....I just grab what is cheapest!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    June Handloader Magazine had an article on rifle primers.
    Aside from a long discussion on 22 hornet primers, the author didn't shed much light on anything. He measured what you or I could measure: the weight and dimensions of various primers, but not the temperature and time of the burn. Benchrest primers have more consistency in their manufacturer was about all I learned.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use whatever primers I can get, for a reasonable price.

Typically, I use mainly CCI and Winchester.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    There are some differences in primers such as:

Brisance
    https://www.google.com/search?q=briessence+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=primer+brisance+chart

Hardness
    https://www.google.com/search?q=small+pistol+primers+hardness&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Etcetera

For all practical purposes most reloaders see very little change in the results at the target, most people just don't shoot that good. Find what works for your particular combination of brass, powder, bullet, primer and gun and stick with those long enough to establish a good base line of performance then try different combinations and variations to see if they are better or worse than the base line. Remember when changing any component in the reloading recipe always drop back on the charge and work your way up in increments while watching for over pressure signs. Changing primers can effect pressures.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies.

My only issue with the S&B SPP's is they are not oriented in the same direction.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I have a primer flipper. I was just saying that my only criticism of the S&B were they were not oriented the same way.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Preference, in order:

• Winchester
    • Federal

• CCI

I do NOT like CCI primers, except for shotshell primers.

I had nothing but problems with CCI, on my RL-550B. Switched to Winchester after calling Dillon.

As you can see on the list, CCI is waaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I'm using a Dillon 550b. I am new to reloading so I have only used Winchester and S&B primers.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've used Wolf, CCI, Federal, Winchester, and Tulammo. No problems with any of them. However, Lee specifically says no Federal primers in their Lee Hand Primer Tool. Too soft.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've used Wolf, CCI, Federal, Winchester, and Tulammo. No problems with any of them. However, Lee specifically says no Federal primers in their Lee Hand Primer Tool. Too soft.

:shocked3:

I have never heard/read that, as far as I can remember.

I've used hundreds.... maybe thousands of Federal 205, 205M, 210 and 210M primers in my Lee Auto-Prime.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    :shocked3:

I have never heard/read that, as far as I can remember.

I've used hundreds.... maybe thousands of Federal 205, 205M, 210 and 210M primers in my Lee Auto-Prime.

Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee page 85 in bold print halfway down:

Do not use Federal primers in a Lee Auto-Prime!

The same page has restrictions on the number of certain Winchester primers that should be loaded in the tray at one time. Winchester Large Rifle should be limited to only 10 primers at a time and some other types are limited to no more than 20.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I never heard of that either. One would think the Lee and RCBS hand primers would be equally lethal. Thinking and knowing can be different. No doubt some one some where had a primer disaster and a lawyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom