• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I believe you are referring to the Chairman's questions during SB737, about private sales? I do think that private sales should have a mechanism to allow the seller to get a background check. But, I see it as an option for the seller to request one. Otherwise, don't sell your firearms to someone you dont know.

I hope Sen.Ready reaches a higher office. He's strongly on our side.

Since Maryland is one of the states that does not fully supply NICS with the necessary information it needs, there is no single point for an effective background check within the state. NICS does not do background checks for private sales. The costs for the state, or the feds to implement such a system would be in the tens of millions.

In any event, a background check does not have the ability to see into anyone's future actions. There are plenty of cases where persons, including LEO, and even those with high level security clearances have committed acts of violence. Imagine the scenario of coming home after a hard day at work and catching your wife in bed with another man. Virtually any human being is capable of violence under the wrong circumstances. Unfortunately, the world we live in is not perfect.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Since Maryland is one of the states that does not fully supply NICS with the necessary information it needs, there is no single point for an effective background check within the state. NICS does not do background checks for private sales. The costs for the state, or the feds to implement such a system would be in the tens of millions.

In any event, a background check does not have the ability to see into anyone's future actions. There are plenty of cases where persons, including LEO, and even those with high level security clearances have committed acts of violence. Imagine the scenario of coming home after a hard day at work and catching your wife in bed with another man. Virtually any human being is capable of violence under the wrong circumstances. Unfortunately, the world we live in is not perfect.

Great input and I agree with the future aspect. These are the parts of Federal gun laws that we and non gun people dont generally understand. The freedom to buy and sell private property. If a loophole was to be closed, this is one that the government could. Make it possible for a person to be able to. Not make them do.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    There needs to be more common sense laws to fix this. I mean, More Laws = Perfect World of Perfect law abiding citizens, no?
    :lol2:

Most certainly. But, I would guess that if you could sell a firearm to someone you dont know, but at least have an idea that they are currently not prohibited, you would like to know? No more laws.

Last edited:

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

This is a phenomenal quote to apply in discussions. It exposes the fallacy of "Universal Background Checks." AIUI, the Capital Gazette killer went through the background check process and still bought a shotgun, because the newspaper never pressed charges. He would likely have gotten a LQL if that was required at the time. He hadn't done anything insane yet.

Unfortunately, this is always met with the reductionist argument "if it just saves one life..." In the antis eyes, there is absolutely no room for accommodating our constitutional rights, or even a rudimentary cost/benefit analysis.

Joe

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This is a phenomenal quote to apply in discussions. It exposes the fallacy of "Universal Background Checks." AIUI, the Capital Gazette killer went through the background check process and still bought a shotgun, because the newspaper never pressed charges. He would likely have gotten a LQL if that was required at the time. He hadn't done anything insane yet.

Unfortunately, this is always met with the reductionist argument "if it just saves one life..." In the antis eyes, there is absolutely no room for accommodating our constitutional rights, or even a rudimentary cost/benefit analysis.

Joe

Joe, I agree, it is a powerful statement and rings very true. Now like you mentioning how they would also argue if it saves one life...

These same anti's will argue this and gladly take their Bloomberg money to ban guns in the guise of saving life and yet in the same breath be perfectly fine with aborting unborn babies. Also if I read correctly, them and their liberal politicians are ok with voting against laws protecting the right to medical care for babies born of botched abortions.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    A lot of other states don't worry about secondary sales of hand and long guns. Just not an issue. Maybe some one should ask the general assembly why they think that Maryland residents are mentally incompetent to buy, sell and carry without their guidance, the way most of the country does.

Projection, my man, projection!

Unhinged Leftists routinely project their out-of-control, feelings-based navigation of their lives onto EVERY OTHER PERSON.

They can't fathom that a huge segment of the population lives without the murderous impulses that poison Loony Leftist thinking 24/7....

Crawls

Apr 2, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Since Maryland is one of the states that does not fully supply NICS with the necessary information it needs, there is no single point for an effective background check within the state..
    [snip]

As a long time reader of this forum, I’ve read statements like this many times. I don’t doubt the accuracy of the statement. Where, though, can I find more information about what info MD does not share with NICS and the rational behind it? Many people non gun folks I talk to are unconvinced when I bring this up.

Thanks,

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• 1F56A97D-AEBD-4B20-A665-67B788836507.jpeg
      1F56A97D-AEBD-4B20-A665-67B788836507.jpeg
      57.3 KB · Views: 213

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    As a long time reader of this forum, I’ve read statements like this many times. I don’t doubt the accuracy of the statement. Where, though, can I find more information about what info MD does not share with NICS and the rational behind it? Many people non gun folks I talk to are unconvinced when I bring this up.

Thanks,

I don't know the full details but, I'm pretty sure, atleast in part, it has to do with HIPPA. I am sure there will someone here who knows more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom