• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The MSP can keep their reasons related to business, if they want.

They must accept "self-defense" for everyone who claims it.
    No, they can't.

Per the ruling, they cannot require ANY reason for the ned of a Carry Permit.

Nothing related to a business
    Nothing related to self defense/personal protection
    Nothing at ALL

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    What never made sense to me is that I always carry a ton of cash on me. All that’s needed is a bad man or woman with a gun to my head at an ATM machine. Why does being a business owner matter? I never understood the difference.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I'd like to hear from a successful post Bruin applicant as to changes in the process from application acceptance until permit issuance. Specifically, I have concerns about the CA AG letter stating that jurisdictions could use enhanced background checks to establish "good moral character" Were there any further requirements in the permit application or the personal interview? I can think of things that *could* be investigated, particularly in social media, even the though the SCOTUS decision specifically requires objective criteria. I'd be interested to learn what MSP has been told are the guide rails.

Morality is not an objective standard.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    If I have two reasons for applying, Federal contractor w/ TS and Bruen, is it advisable to put both? Will the system even let me? Thanks
    You may list BOTH.

The narrative has room for both reasons. You’re expected to upload a letter confirming your clearance, if your Security Manager gives you that.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    What never made sense to me is that I always carry a ton of cash on me. All that’s needed is a bad man or woman with a gun to my head at an ATM machine. Why does being a business owner matter? I never understood the difference.
    The General Assembly was interested in preventing theft from a business owner because such a loss would result in less TAXES paid.

If a private citizen is robbed, no tax revenue is lost.

That’s how they (MGA) see it.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    The General Assembly was interested in preventing theft from a business owner because such a loss would result in less TAXES paid.

If a private citizen is robbed, no tax revenue is lost.

That’s how they (MGA) see it.
    Sad.

2A Maryland

Dec 7, 2016
    Towson, MD
    2A Maryland is saying that

"While the ruling will likely impact existing Maryland law; at least for the moment, nothing has changed. Until the MSP have guidance from the Maryland AG, prematurely inundating the Licensing Division with new permit applications will only bog down their system."

BTW, 2A Maryland is setting up a zoom meeting with a MSP.

2A Maryland Zoom Meeting with MSP Licensing Division​

We are pleased to announce that First Sergeant Donald R. Pickle, Jr., Commander of the Firearms Services Section of the MSP Licensing Division will join us to discuss the SCOTUS ruling and its impact on Maryland.

Thursday, June 30th @ 7:00 pm​

Topic: 2A Maryland Zoom with MSP Licensing Division

Time: Jun 30, 2022 07:00 PM Eastern Time

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82068751140?pwd=eFNKdWxuSC82eWl6ZTRKUkxzYUIrQT09

Meeting ID: 820 6875 1140

Passcode: 098181

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,82068751140#,,,,*098181# US (Washington DC)

+13126266799,,82068751140#,,,,*098181# US (Chicago

Hopefully someone from MDS will attend and pass on any valuable info.

Click here to visit the 2A Maryland ( www.2amaryland.org ) website and join the 2A Maryland Email list to get the latest updates on the situation as it develops.

NOTE: It will be very helpful to me, and the meeting will be far more productive, if you
    email your questions before 2 pm tomorrow Thursday, 6/30.

Over 130 readers are planning to attend tonight's 2A Zoom meeting. We have never had such a large attendance, so it is necessary to note some ground rules, especially for those who are first time guests.

Be respectful of others at all times, this is not negotiable.

Use your real first and last name when you join the meeting waiting room. (no unidentified persons will be admitted).

Keep your microphone muted unless otherwise directed (background noise from so many attendees is distracting).

Pose any last minute questions via the "Chat" function so everyone can see them. Please no "comments" this is not an internet forum.

Use the "raised hand" icon if you wish to speak, we will try to accommodate as many as possible (see the reactions icon at the bottom of your screen).

You will be prompted to unmute your microphone when you are called on.

Only one (1) person speaking at any time.

Do NOT interrupt the person who is speaking.

Stick to facts and policy issues.

Understand that there will be questions we won't yet have answers for.

Do not ask the MSP to offer personal opinions or speculate on future policy or events.

The cyber doors will open early to give me time to admit everyone. Once the meeting begins access will be limited or locked to reduce distractions, so be sure to be on-time!

Last edited:

win296

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore
    So 2AMaryland is advising people Not to apply. The licensing system getting “bogged down” is Not my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So 2AMaryland is advising people Not to apply. The licensing system getting “bogged down” is Not my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Good. They still need to comply with the law. I hope they figure it out quickly.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I can only LOL at this nonsense. No court is going to accept any of these excuses, esp after CA and NJ are complying. The application plainly accepts "personal protection" as a choice.

They will have a really hard time (likely impossible) prosecuting people who have applied and decide **** it, the wait is too long- if they have the 16 hrs and they pass the background check. No judge is sending anyone to jail for not having the proper documentation of the right. I don't care how much BGOS is in this forum, it isn't happening. Shit, people don't get prosecuted now all the time. But don't take my word for it, the Bruen decision cites a long line of first amendment cases that stand for the proposition.

I am not encouraging people to do this, but I know someone is going to get the training, apply, and then carry without their little card, and then boom we are constitutional carry.

Hello, McFrosh, carry now a right.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    No, they can't.

Per the ruling, they cannot require ANY reason for the ned of a Carry Permit.

Nothing related to a business
    Nothing related to self defense/personal protection
    Nothing at ALL
    Yesterday, I found the least expensive class I could get in to even though I'm still on the fence about the expense. I called to ask some details and double check the price. In speaking to them, they were pretty adamant at applying as a business owner, which I do not want to do (even though I have followed SG's model). They were basically talking me out of applying any other way. Needless to say, not really interested in going there.
    Morality is not an objective standard.
    Neither is the need for references or an "interview".

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Yesterday, I found the least expensive class I could get in to even though I'm still on the fence about the expense. I called to ask some details and double check the price. In speaking to them, they were pretty adamant at applying as a business owner, which I do not want to do (even though I have followed SG's model). They were basically talking me out of applying any other way. Needless to say, not really interested in going there.
    There are three pages of qualified instructors in Carroll County on the MSP website.

Can any of these teach the 16 hour course?

Last edited:

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I can only LOL at this nonsense. No court is going to accept any of these excuses, esp after CA and NJ are complying. The application plainly accepts "personal protection" as a choice.

They will have a really hard time (likely impossible) prosecuting people who have applied and decide **** it, the wait is too long- if they have the 16 hrs and they pass the background check. No judge is sending anyone to jail for not having the proper documentation of the right. I don't care how much BGOS is in this forum, it isn't happening. Shit, people don't get prosecuted now all the time. But don't take my word for it, the Bruen decision cites a long line of first amendment cases that stand for the proposition.

I am not encouraging people to do this, but I know someone is going to get the training, apply, and then carry without their little card, and then boom we are constitutional carry.

Hello, McFrosh, carry now a right.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
    I wish I had the time and resources to be the test case.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    There are three pages of qualified instructors in Carroll County on the MSP website.

Can any of these teach the 16 hour course?

I signed up for this class: https://www.tacticaltrainingmd.com/book-a-class in Hampstead.

Geared Up in Westminster also offers training, but I wanted to exercise my rights one week earlier, so I booked the 7/9-7/10 class with Tactical. The instructor seems like a nice guy from the few times I've talked to him.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Neither is the need for references or an "interview".
    I agree. However, the Bruin brief repeats the phrase "citizens of good moral character" The CA AG letter repeats this phrase, even though Justice Thomas's decision clarifies that the constitution text as informed by history and tradition is the entire test. That's why I'd like to hear from my brothers and sisters who have gone through the process post Bruin. I can envision a eventuality where an individual MSP officer without specific guidance from the MD AG could interpret that quite broadly in their investigation. MSP isn't changing their investigator staff, and absent specific policies and procedures, they are likely to rely on muscle memory from doing investigations pre Bruin, looking for ways to insert restrictions on carry permits, based on the "reasons" listed in your application. For me any reason listed other than self defense is an invitation to continue inserting permit restrictions.

More specific questions to ponder:
    1. What questions were asked in the inteview
    2. Were references questioned? if so what were the questions
    3. Were additional references solicited of the references given in the application?
    3. What social media review and or discussion took place? (While I have no objections to investigating my background for criminal convictions, I am concerned about the state making character determinations based on free speech I exercised 3 years ago. If you're a hammer everything you see looks like a nail.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom