POLL: Has a doctor ever asked you about guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Has your doctor ever asked you about guns?

• Yes

Votes: 127 27.0%
    • No

Votes: 343 73.0%

• Total voters

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My son's pediatrician asked if we had firearms in the house on his first visit!

Then the pediatrician is doing exactly what the American Academy of Pediatrics says to do. Congrats. Your son has a conscientious pediatrician. Just say no and enjoy the good medical care he will receive.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    He didn't ask me about guns, but when I visited him today he offered that he had tried but abandoned powder guns, and now prefers cross bows to whack Bambi with his son! :lol2: I figured it was okay to tell him that I am not much of a hunter, but that I will stick with powder! :lol:

Stoic58

Jan 10, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I was asked about guns in an online 'health assessment' questionnaire with my health provider. It also asked about use of seat belts and smoke detectors, and looked like a canned set of questions prepared by a separate company or organization.

I answered no. When I used to do imagery analysis, a 'gun' was something swivel-mounted on the deck of a ship. So... guns in home? No. :innocent0

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    my doc asked me how can he get a wear/carry permit and can he hire me as a shooting coach/ instructor. matter of fact, i have three docs wanting the services. dentist, GP and neurosurgeon. when the questionnaire asks my occupation it kinda voids the need to ask about guns in the home.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Then the pediatrician is doing exactly what the American Academy of Pediatrics says to do. Congrats. Your son has a conscientious pediatrician. Just say no and enjoy the good medical care he will receive.

So, lie to the doctor? That is what you are recommending? I guess I can see this if you're just filling out some form in the office, but that is not always the case.

Lets say that you're in the exam room with Dr. and kid and the Dr. asks the gun question. You say "no". Kid knows differently and later asks you..."Dad, why did you lie to the doctor? You teach us that telling the truth matters, so why did you lie?".

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    So, lie to the doctor? That is what you are recommending? I guess I can see this if you're just filling out some form in the office, but that is not always the case.

Lets say that you're in the exam room with Dr. and kid and the Dr. asks the gun question. You say "no". Kid knows differently and later asks you..."Dad, why did you lie to the doctor? You teach us that telling the truth matters, so why did you lie?".
    Very simple answer. This is the time to teach the child that not all of the facts of your life is the business of others. Its not lying, its protecting your privacy.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

You can call it whatever you want to call it to make yourself feel better. Not telling the truth is lying.

Are your sensibilities offended by this notion? Your doctor has no business asking the question, IMO. Prepare your kids for the real world. Sometimes telling the truth is not in your best interest. Fact.

Have you lied to your kids and told them there is a Santa Claus? If you are not telling the truth, you are lying. ;)

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Are your sensibilities offended by this notion? Your doctor has no business asking the question, IMO. Prepare your kids for the real world. Sometimes telling the truth is not in your best interest. Fact.

Have you lied to your kids and told them there is a Santa Claus? If you are not telling the truth, you are lying. ;)

Yes, my sensibilities tell me that it's wrong to lie and therefore I don't do it and have taught my children that it's wrong as well. They are grown and on their own now so what they do is their business, but they were taught what I thought was right.

No, I never told them that there was one, but did allow them to believe that there was until they actually asked the question. Then I told them the truth.

So, do you tell everyone everything they want to know? Personally I would say " that's none of your business" but some people don't have the balls to express their feeling.

Nope, I don't tell anyone everything they want to know. If someone asks me a question that is none of their business, I will either tell them so or I will move on to another topic of my choice.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes, my sensibilities tell me that it's wrong to lie and therefore I don't do it and have taught my children that it's wrong as well. They are grown and on their own now so what they do is their business, but they were taught what I thought was right.

No, I never told them that there was one, but did allow them to believe that there was until they actually asked the question. Then I told them the truth.

Nope, I don't tell anyone everything they want to know. If someone asks me a question that is none of their business, I will either tell them so or I will move on to another topic of my choice.

We all have our ways of dealing with things, and in the end the outcome can be the same. Mature people of average intelligence should be able to figure out what information is useful for a particular purpose and what information isn't. The possibility exists that this information may be used for nefarious purposes by the government at some point. Once entered into a computerized medical record it will be there forever. Easily searchable. Nobody should ever trust government, IMO. A "none of your business" of "break in and find out" answer gives you a good idea that people do, in fact, own firearms.

I advocate saying no. That is what I do. It is what I have instructed my kids to do. It hasn't made them little criminals, they just understand that there is some information that needs to be kept very private, and people just don't need to know. It is the real world. Life isn't all puppies and unicorns. They may deal with more 2A issues than we do, and need to learn certain things at an early age. Just how I choose to raise my kids. To be prepared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom