POLL: Has a doctor ever asked you about guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Has your doctor ever asked you about guns?

• Yes

Votes: 127 27.0%
    • No

Votes: 343 73.0%

• Total voters

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Ownership of firearms

The law in question was passed after an escalating series of events in which patients were harassed or denied access to services because they refused to be interrogated by their doctors about their ownership of firearms.

Patient Privacy
    :D :D :D

TheYetti

Apr 8, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Technically the doctor never asked me but the New Patient paperwork had the question on it. I haven't been back since.

I can't remember the name of the office but their address is VERY close to the below address. They also request to take your picture for insurance fraud purposes. Sketchy. As. Hell.

1120 N. Rolling Road
    Catonsville, MD 21228

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Technically the doctor never asked me but the New Patient paperwork had the question on it. I haven't been back since.

I can't remember the name of the office but their address is VERY close to the below address. They also request to take your picture for insurance fraud purposes. Sketchy. As. Hell.

1120 N. Rolling Road

Catonsville, MD 21228

Lol. That's my office.

Insurance fraud is getting more and more common. You can refuse the picture. The gun question on the paperwork is there. We have thousands of the forms. We aren't losing money so people can fold up their foil. Everyone in the office is pro-gun.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just left my Primary care doctor for this reason. Packed up and walked out! told the doctor that he was fired.

I bet the doctor feels like you did him a favor. If you get that upset over a question the doctor probably could care less about, how will you react when he won't give you a Z-pak for a viral infection? Don't let the door hit you in the ass, stud muffin.

for my dr visit, no pediatrician. question was on the patient form. I answered it "NOYFB".

Now they know.

Most pediatricians are very caring people. IMO, many tend to be a little idealistic, but they really care about keeping the kids in their care healthy and well. Most docs are academics. If they are given guidelines, they follow them. It's a topic that the guidelines recommend they cover. Peds is among the lowest paying fields. It's also one of the toughest. Would you like to deal with nutty parents all day? Give them a break. NOYFB is just rude. It is not necessary to insult someone who is just doing their job. They don't care about the 2A. They just want to keep your kid healthy. Grow up.

Feb 28, 2013
    Most pediatricians are very caring people. IMO, many tend to be a little idealistic, but they really care about keeping the kids in their care healthy and well. Most docs are academics. If they are given guidelines, they follow them. It's a topic that the guidelines recommend they cover. Peds is among the lowest paying fields. It's also one of the toughest. Would you like to deal with nutty parents all day? Give them a break. NOYFB is just rude. It is not necessary to insult someone who is just doing their job. They don't care about the 2A. They just want to keep your kid healthy. Grow up.

Removing my own tinfoil hat for a second...

So, in other words, contrary to the popular opinion here this question ISN'T asked for nefarious gooberment purposes?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Removing my own tinfoil hat for a second...

So, in other words, contrary to the popular opinion here this question ISN'T asked for nefarious gooberment purposes?

Correct.

I have no doubt that most of the major medical groups are anti-gun, but the topic is recommended so docs can tell the unwashed masses that guns can be harmful, not so lists can be made for the confiscation squad.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Correct.

I have no doubt that most of the major medical groups are anti-gun, but the topic is recommended so docs can tell the unwashed masses that guns can be harmful, not so lists can be made for the confiscation squad.

Well, it all ties in with the 'guns as disease agent' concept. 'Gun violence' is a 'public health emergency' and if we can just reduce the overall number of guns, somehow 'gun violence' will be reduced. It doesn't make much sense, but it is peddled mainly by the peditricians and family practicioners.

In the setting of a pediatricians visit, the question does make sense. The same form will usually ask about pool fences, outlet covers and car seats. The reality is that more kids die of accidents than cancer, SIDS and seizure disorders taken together (with firearms accidents being a tiny fraction of that number).

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Not me personally but I had a coworker who was asked by his GP. He was asked how he was feeling, he mentioned depression. His Dr. then asked if he had the means to commit suicide, to which he responded "doesn't everybody?" (he's a smart ass). She specifically asked if he had any firearms in the home, to which he responded "yes". He was detained, handcuffed and taken into custody of AACo PD and taken to BWMC and placed into isolation. The officer called me, told me what was going on and instructed me to remove all of the firearms from my coworkers home. The guy has about two dozen guns; long guns and handguns. I told the officer that I had no way of transporting them legally he said "don't worry, if you get pulled over just give them my badge number and have them call me". Yeah, that made me warm 'n fuzzy. Anyway, they held him for about 6 hours then released him. I thought it was a bit over the top.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I do recall that they usually ask about seat belt use, but do they also remember to ask about swimming pools that kill more children every year than guns do?

If it's really about safety, pools would be on the list way before guns.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I do recall that they usually ask about seat belt use, but do they also remember to ask about swimming pools that kill more children every year than guns do?

If it's really about safety, pools would be on the list way before guns.

They should be. It's a recommended question, IIRC.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Correct.

Its part of a push for more 'research' from NIH. All manner of suspect correlations will be invented. Someday it will even be used to set insurance rates for auto insurance..

See the gov already has the data. But much of it is protected by law from general public access. In addition to insurance companies and Drs, employers will soon be compiling the same 'data'. It all part of the Brady orcastrated noise.

Imagine the fun they can have inventing correlations between gun ownership and say child abuse ( now redefined to include spanking of course). It will happen.

Poison the well.... lie. Lie while you still can..

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Anyway, they held him for about 6 hours then released him. I thought it was a bit over the top.

The alternative is 'but he told his doctor only 3hrs earlier that he is going to shoot himself and the doctor did nothing !!!'

You are a good friend for picking up his guns, beats having them removed 'for safekeeping' by the PD with a lenthy process to get them back.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    If you answer yes, can you comment on whether or not it was a pediatrician?

Yes it was.

My kids pediatrician is a friend of mine and non-partner employee at a small practice. They all know I have guns, and I have even taken a couple of the partners to the range, so they already knew the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom