Police Shootings, and what we can learn.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m adding this here just cuz the dudes a hero but they released the Texas police BWC for the guy shooting up the mall. The officer is legit kindly teaching kids to wear seatbelts and being officer friendly when the shots go off. He grabs his rifle and solo located the shooter and smokes him. Freaking hero!
    Amen.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    The site "Active Self Protection" (ASP) was recommended to me by my CCW instructor. It doesn't limit itself to police interactions, provides commentary, and is informative and useful in stimulating awareness of problematic situations.

I like ASP too along with the Police Activity channel.

I know there is always a risk as a lawful CCW'er with police interaction. Several years ago I took the Utah non-resident training course. I can't remember the trainer's handle here on MDS but his name is Jim and he was out of Richmond Virginia. He was a former deputy Sheriff and I really appreciated his perspective during the classroom training on how to handle LEOs during a contact.

My main take-away from watching the YT videos is show hands and don't move.

My main problem after watching many of these videos is multiple officers barking contradictory orders to the suspects. "Don't Move!" while another says "Get on the Ground". Officers need to be better trained to let one control the suspect and others not to.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I like ASP too along with the Police Activity channel.

I know there is always a risk as a lawful CCW'er with police interaction. Several years ago I took the Utah non-resident training course. I can't remember the trainer's handle here on MDS but his name is Jim and he was out of Richmond Virginia. He was a former deputy Sheriff and I really appreciated his perspective during the classroom training on how to handle LEOs during a contact.

My main take-away from watching the YT videos is show hands and don't move.

My main problem after watching many of these videos is multiple officers barking contradictory orders to the suspects. "Don't Move!" while another says "Get on the Ground". Officers need to be better trained to let one control the suspect and others not to.
    This right here. No matter what you do, one of the officers will be unhappy...and you'll be dead.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I’m adding this here just cuz the dudes a hero but they released the Texas police BWC for the guy shooting up the mall. The officer is legit kindly teaching kids to wear seatbelts and being officer friendly when the shots go off. He grabs his rifle and solo located the shooter and smokes him. Freaking hero!
    Because the officer was teaching kids about seatbelt safety, is it reasonable to infer that he may have been, well, later in his career and sent out perform less strenuous duties like community outreach or something like that?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Because the officer was teaching kids about seatbelt safety, is it reasonable to infer that he may have been, well, later in his career and sent out perform less strenuous duties like community outreach or something like that?
    Isn’t Uvalde looking for a new police chief?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Isn’t Uvalde looking for a new police chief?
    Damn-near spit my coffee on the screen. Then I got mad and sad all over again.

Accursed fooking cowards! Numerous officers sitting on their asses in Uvalde sanitizing their hands, while elsewhere a lone, portly(?) officer charges into battle.

Rant off.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have no clue. Seems like it was an unplanned interaction with the kids. More of a trying to be a good community steward type interaction

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I have no clue. Seems like it was an unplanned interaction with the kids. More of a trying to be a good community steward type interaction
    Appreciate this. I wasn't expecting an answer in this specific case, (and I didn't know this was a spontaneous interaction with the kids so good for him for taking the opportunity to do some outreach), I was just wondering out loud whether planned community relations events skew toward older officers, while more energetic youngsters are on the beat.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Many of you know much of this already. It may be somewhat disturbing for some to watch, but I think it’s very important to know what to expect if, God forbid, you ever need to fire a gun in self defense. There is a channel on YouTube that compiles police involved shootings. This is not a channel that criticizes police, and no opinion is presented. Just body cam footage. All of the shootings appear to be justified. It’s eye-opening how much time people have to retaliate after they have been shot multiple times. It’s something to consider. I hope you find this useful. I feel badly for the officers. Some literally beg the perps to comply.

Doc,

I made a thread about a Chicago based CCW instructor holding 2 courses at Guntry.
    As I was researching him, I saw some clips of some of how he works. One clip showed him demonstrating how fast a potential defensive attempt on a perp can actually turn into the victim being shot before he reacts or has time to process the scenario in time to react. He also has a video where he demonstrates how fast an officer could be shot during a traffic stop if using poor skills and position while approaching a car they stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom