Police Shootings, and what we can learn.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Many of you know much of this already. It may be somewhat disturbing for some to watch, but I think it’s very important to know what to expect if, God forbid, you ever need to fire a gun in self defense. There is a channel on YouTube that compiles police involved shootings. This is not a channel that criticizes police, and no opinion is presented. Just body cam footage. All of the shootings appear to be justified. It’s eye-opening how much time people have to retaliate after they have been shot multiple times. It’s something to consider. I hope you find this useful. I feel badly for the officers. Some literally beg the perps to comply.

Last edited:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Law-abiding folk, like us here, should note that it does not matter why there is a gun in our hand when approached by an officer, when says drop it, you may only have moments to do so.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I imagine one mistake a regular citizen might make is to assume that the bad guy is rational. Seems like in a lot of these situations the perps are either drugged up or mentally incapacitated. No way many of them are going to be able to understand or comply with rational commands.

Also, in a lot of these videos there are multiple LEOs giving contradictory commands. Might be better if the commands are only given by one LEO.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Also, in a lot of these videos there are multiple LEOs giving contradictory commands. Might be better if the commands are only given by one LEO.
    Maybe they if they had a chain of command to decide who gave the commands.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I imagine one mistake a regular citizen might make is to assume that the bad guy is rational. Seems like in a lot of these situations the perps are either drugged up or mentally incapacitated. No way many of them are going to be able to understand or comply with rational commands.

"DON'T MOVE!!!!! PUT YOUR HANDS UP!!!!!" Wait, I have to move to put my hands up.

The one thing wrong with police training, are the commands. It's typically taught to start shouting commands out to bring attention to the threat you are facing in order for people to witness the actions. " Oh yeah, I saw and heard the cop shout before the bad guy ran at him.". Now multiply that by the number of cops there. Cops need/should try to affect an arrest when possible.

Fortunately for citizens, we don't need a threat to be able to rationalize anything. We just need to know what our deadly force threat "Go to" action is before we use lethal force. Nothing else matters.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’ve been on the wrong side of a police barrel a couple times. One cop was definitely dumping way more adrenaline than I was. Just using some common or maybe uncommon sense and I was fine. If you’re holding a gun , knife etc. with police drawing down on you do you really need to hear drop the weapon or are you smart enough to make yourself a non threat. Notice none of the people I saw were perfectly still and unarmed. Pretty simple to drop weapon and freeze. Police Training could always be better but that’s not going to stop idiots from getting shot.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I would also submit that “drop the weapon” should register as anything in your hands including a cell phone, wallet, etc. Thinking “it’s not a weapon” and holding it up for the officer to see probably won’t end well either. You can get a new phone.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    This murder still infuriates me.

I’m assuming you have seen the full video. I can’t say what happened. The video froze right before things went bad. Is there a full video? Was he armed? Why were the police arresting them, what was the call?
    Thanks

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I would also submit that “drop the weapon” should register as anything in your hands including a cell phone, wallet, etc. Thinking “it’s not a weapon” and holding it up for the officer to see probably won’t end well either. You can get a new phone.
    Definitely.

"amygdala hijack" is some interesting reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom