• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stevegee58

Spooky
    Aug 5, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    I'm fairly new to the firearm scene; I'm not military or a LEO. I've done some target practice and I've learned how to score targets based on the NRA scoring rules. I won't bother posting my scores here but I do want to find out how I stack up against the minimum qualification scores for police and military.

So here are some basic questions:

1) How often are range qual tests required?
    2) How many shots per string and how many strings are part of the test?
    3) What is the target distance?
    4) What is the minimum score required to maintain basic qualification?
    5) How are scores calculated?

So for example if someone knows, say, how the MSP or FBI or whatever runs their pistol test to stay qualified and could run down what the basic test is, I'd appreciate it.

I'm curious what someone who carries a firearm for a living has to pass to be considered minimally proficient.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I'm fairly new to the firearm scene; I'm not military or a LEO. I've done some target practice and I've learned how to score targets based on the NRA scoring rules. I won't bother posting my scores here but I do want to find out how I stack up against the minimum qualification scores for police and military.

So here are some basic questions:

1) How often are range qual tests required?
    2) How many shots per string and how many strings are part of the test?
    3) What is the target distance?
    4) What is the minimum score required to maintain basic qualification?
    5) How are scores calculated?

So for example if someone knows, say, how the MSP or FBI or whatever runs their pistol test to stay qualified and could run down what the basic test is, I'd appreciate it.

I'm curious what someone who carries a firearm for a living has to pass to be considered minimally proficient.

Depends on the agency how often quals are

1) How often are range qual tests required? once a year
    2) How many shots per string and how many strings are part of the test? 30 rds day & 30 rds night3)
    What is the target distance? Yrds= 25, 15, 7, 3
    4) What is the minimum score required to maintain basic qualification? 80%
    5) How are scores calculated? using Q targets 1pt each. hit or miss

Also once a year for shotgun and patrol rifle. Tactical is either quarterly or semi annual.

stevegee58

Spooky
    Aug 5, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Depends on the agency how often quals are

1) How often are range qual tests required? once a year
    2) How many shots per string and how many strings are part of the test? 30 rds day & 30 rds night3)
    What is the target distance? Yrds= 25, 15, 7, 3
    4) What is the minimum score required to maintain basic qualification? 80%
    5) How are scores calculated? using Q targets 1pt each. hit or miss

Also once a year for shotgun and patrol rifle. Tactical is either quarterly or semi annual.

So the whole test would be 30 rounds day and 30 rounds night at each of the 4 distances?

How is the 80% calculated?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have shot the FBI Q course a couple times, it doesn't require a lot of ammo or special equipment, and is pretty well rounded. A lot of self defense instructors will have the students qualify after the class, and sometimes before to track progress. It is a pretty easy Qual to take especially considering the size of the target, and is pretty easy to practice if you have a range that allows position shooting and rapid fire, most advanced shooters can complete it at 100% without dropping any shots. The only hangup may be with some SAO and DAO guns that do not decock. In those cases most intructors will ask that the gun be returned to a condition of readiness either cocked and locked for 1911s or SAO pistols, finger out of the trigger guard with GLOCKs or DAO guns

FBI Pistol Qualification Course

This standard, revised April 1997, is used to qualify both agents and instructors.

Target: FBI "Q"
    Ammunition: 50 rounds service ammunition
    Scoring: Hits in or touching "bottle" count 2 points; misses and hits outside bottle count zero points
    Qualification: 85% to qualify; 90% for instructors

STAGE I 18 ROUNDS
    Starting Point: 25 yard line
    Time Allotted: 75 seconds
    Start with a fully loaded weapon. On command shooter draws and fires 6 rounds prone position, decocks, fires 3 rounds strong side kneeling barricade position, 6 rounds strong side standing barricade position, and 3 rounds weak side kneeling barricade position. Upon completing stage I, the shooter will conduct a magazine exchange and holster a loaded weapon. - Note, the "barricade" is usually just a 2X12 board planted vertically in the ground using a steel brace embedded in concrete. You could also just as well use a tree trunk. It has to be at least as tall as the shooter.

STAGE II 10 ROUNDS
    Starting Point: 25 yard line
    Time Allotted: 2 rounds in 6 seconds (run, draw and double tap)
    4 strings of 2 rounds in 3 seconds each (double taps from low ready, hammer down)
    Start at the 25 yard line. On command the shooter moves to the 15 yard line, draws and fires 2 rounds in 6 seconds, decocks, and returns to low ready. The shooter will fire 4 strings of 2 rounds in 3 seconds, decocking and returning to low ready after each string. Upon completing Stage II, the shooter holsters a loaded weapon [without reloading unless gun capacity is only 10 rds --ed].
    This is the stage that usually brings in the most failures through a combination of misses and late shots. You will probably find it necessary to practice the timed double taps a lot in order to not lose any points on this stage since the distance is still far enough to miss. Many law enforcement agencies and tactical instructors wimp out and run this standard down to 7 yards instead of 15. Running it at the 15 yard line is where the real challenge is. Use the pause at the end of this stage to prep your weapon and magazines for the next stage.

STAGE III 12 ROUNDS
    Starting Point: 15 yard line
    Time Allotted: 15 seconds
    Start at the 15 yard line. On command the shooter moves to the 7 yard line, draws and fires 12 rounds in 15 seconds, to include a reload. Upon completing stage III, the shooter holsters a loaded weapon. Shooter then arranges remaining 10 rounds to have 5 rounds in the weapon and 5 rounds in a spare magazine.

STAGE IV 10 ROUNDS
    Starting Point: 7 yard line
    Time Allotted: 15 seconds
    Start at the 7 yard line. On command the shooter moves to the 5 yard line, draws and fires 5 rounds with strong hand only, reloads, transfers the weapon to weak hand and fires 5 rounds weak hand only. Upon completing stage IV, the shooter will unload and holster an empty weapon.
    Note: you are only moving two long strides on this one, so running will cause you to stumble, which can disqualify you if you step over the line. This makes the strong hand string a little more difficult because it involves stepping and drawing, shooting, and then reloading from slide lock. The "weak hand" string is firing only, since the entire course is over once the time is up or the last shot is fired.

FBI Q target Size: 22 1/2"" x 34 1/2"

q-t.jpg

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    Army qual w/ the M9 is 40rds total, shot @ 25 meters onto a sillhouette target.

7 standing
    13 kneeling
    10 crouching
    10 prone unsupported

Take your total hits and this is how you qualify
    24-28 marksman qual
    19-35 sharpshooter qual
    36-40 expert qual

there is also a tactical pistol qualifier where you're shooting reactive targets. i have never tried the qualification course of fire.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Just to clarify, in stage II, you have three seconds to fire two shots, and then you have to repeat it, not fire eight aimed rounds in three seconds, correct?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Just to clarify, in stage II, you have three seconds to fire two shots, and then you have to repeat it, not fire eight aimed rounds in three seconds, correct?

each stage is 6 seconds and requires 2 shots "drawing" from low ready, clock starts when you reach the 15 yard line

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    here's some reading for you

I found the MD entry-level law enforcement standards as codified in the Code of Maryland Regulations (http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/). These are the minimum to be accredited in Maryland; as FPS mentioned, departments can add-on.

Here are the minimum entry-level handgun and "long gun" (rifle and shotgun) standards:

The COMAR sections on LE training are found here:
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/SubtitleSearch.aspx?search=12.04.02.*

Handgun:http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=12.04.02.05.htm

Long gun: http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=12.04.02.07.htm

Definitions to help when reviewing the long gun standards:
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=12.04.02.02.htm
    "Type 1 long gun" means a long gun with an optical sighting device greater than 4 power intended for use as a counter-sniper firearm.

"Type 2 long gun" means a long gun with an optical sighting device greater than 4 power intended for use other than as a counter-sniper firearm.

"Type 3 long gun" means a long gun without an optical sighting device, or with an optical device of 4 power or less.

"Type 4 Long Gun":

(a) "Type 4 long gun" means a long gun manufactured and sold as a shotgun that is designed to discharge a single projectile or multiple projectiles from a single round of ammunition.

(b) "Type 4 long gun" includes a long gun manufactured and sold as a shotgun regardless of the:

(i) Action; or

(ii) Use of an optical sighting device.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    Army qual w/ the M9 is 40rds total, shot @ 25 meters onto a sillhouette target.

7 standing
    13 kneeling
    10 crouching
    10 prone unsupported

Take your total hits and this is how you qualify
    24-28 marksman qual
    19-35 sharpshooter qual
    36-40 expert qual

there is also a tactical pistol qualifier where you're shooting reactive targets. i have never tried the qualification course of fire.

it's a combo of hits and score/hit value. I run this course for contractor aircrews who are getting ready to deploy. They give you a lot of time too.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Navy Qual course for pistol is: (all from the holster) Shot at a Transition 2 target.
    3 Yard Line (Requires 2 magazines - 6 rounds in each magazine)

2 rounds in 4 seconds
    2 rounds in 4 seconds
    2 rounds
    Magazine change
    2 rounds in 10 seconds total time
    4 rounds in 8 seconds total time (2 strong side followed by 2 weak side)
    7 YARD LINE REPEAT 3 YARD COURSE OF FIRE.
    15 YARD LINE: (2 magazines of 12)
    2 rounds in 4 seconds
    2 rounds in 4 seconds
    4 rounds
    magazine change
    4 rounds 20 seconds
    8 rounds from the kneeling position in 20 seconds

Scoring is 179 and below fail
    180-203 Marksman
    204-227 Sharpshooter
    228-240 expert

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    Navy Qual course for pistol is: (all from the holster) Shot at a Transition 2 target.
    3 Yard Line (Requires 2 magazines - 6 rounds in each magazine)

2 rounds in 4 seconds
    2 rounds in 4 seconds
    2 rounds
    Magazine change
    2 rounds in 10 seconds total time
    4 rounds in 8 seconds total time (2 strong side followed by 2 weak side)
    7 YARD LINE REPEAT 3 YARD COURSE OF FIRE.
    15 YARD LINE: (2 magazines of 12)
    2 rounds in 4 seconds
    2 rounds in 4 seconds
    4 rounds
    magazine change
    4 rounds 20 seconds
    8 rounds from the kneeling position in 20 seconds

Scoring is 179 and below fail
    180-203 Marksman
    204-227 Sharpshooter
    228-240 expert

Been a while since I shot this one...Must be fun in freezing weather:D

S.A.M.G.

Nov 7, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Army Rifle Qualification is as follows. 18 rounds to zero. if the shooter cannot zero in 18 rounds he is sent to to the rear for rifle PMI. Once zeroing is accomplished the shooter is given 40 rounds for 40 targets timed at various distances between 50 Meters and 300 meters on pop up timed stationary targets. a score of less that 21 hits is a DNQ. 20 shots supported Prone position, 10 shots unsupported prone, 10 shots kneeling. If the shooter DNQ's after a second attempt he is sent to the Alt C Course.

The ALT C course is a group of varying size silhouettes on a target sheet placed at 25 meters and two shots must be placed into every silhouette. Again 20 shots prone supported, 10 shots prone unsupported, and 10 shots kneeling. If after two rounds the shooter DNQ's he receives remedial rifle PMI and has to wait until the next qualification period to qualify or qualify with another unit that will accept the shooter. Once the shooter has to shoot on the Alt C course even if the shooter exceeds the 23 shots to make marksman the shooter will only receive the score of 23 hits.

pop-up range 40-38 hits expert
    37-26 hits sharpshooter
    26-21 hits Marksman

Alt-c 40-36 hits expert
    35-29 hits sharpshooter
    29-23 hits marksman

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members