• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danbdan

Jan 1, 2013
    Columbia, Maryland
    I cross through this intersection in Columbia every night on my way home from my business, and frequently around midnight or 1am. This could have been me... and as a law-abiding citizen, I remain unarmed in these situations.

Would a pile of reports like this ever convince the MSP as a "good and substantial reason" to issue a CCW permit???

http://columbia.patch.com/articles/police-man-carjacked-kidnapped-and-robbed-on-broken-land-parkway

http://columbia.patch.com/articles/home-invaders-steal-safe-in-columbia-howard-county-crime-reports

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Is it a good and substantial reason to carry? Hell yes!

Will the state say it is? No way. Unless you were the actual victim and can show that the perpetrator might come back after you again, they're not going to do it.

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    That's down the street from where I live. I fill up at the Steven's Forest Exxon late at night all the time, but now I guess I should probably stop doing that.

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Why in the hell did he unlock his door? Also, whatever happened to situational awareness? :sad20:

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    Nope. They generally want 3-4 police reports where you were the victim or involved before they'll consider you for a carry permit. Being near crime doesn't count, even in a violent area, it doesn't matter to them.

So rest easy, without police reports with your name as the victim, the state says you aren't in danger!

It's only the Free State if you're a criminal.

Makarov Kid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 7, 2012
    Commietown, Maryland
    Carry a knife or pepper spray or a taser or use a combination of them. In Maryland they want you to be defenseless, but you must be vigilant even without a CCW and a gun. I wonder why the man even unlocked the door in the first place and didn't drive off when the gun was displayed. I feel bad for the guy, but we all know natural selection is at play here.

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    Why in the hell did he unlock his door? Also, whatever happened to situational awareness? :sad20:

Agreed, but the reality is that when it's late at night and you've had a long day even the best of us can slip up every now and then.

EDIT: Never mind, just read the whole article and saw that the guy opened his door and practically invited the guys in.

What really scares me about this is that my younger sister drives through that intersection all the time. If it had been her coming back from a late night study party (she's a huge nerd), she probably would have gotten raped as well as robbed. I just gave her my better-paranoid-than-dead spiel, hopefully it stuck.

On a slightly lighter note, I wonder what would happen if someone tried to carjack me? I drive a manual, so I have a built in anti-theft system since most Americans look at my clutch pedal in confusion and disbelief.

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Agreed, but the reality is that when it's late at night and you've had a long day even the best of us can slip up every now and then.

EDIT: Never mind, just read the whole article and saw that the guy opened his door and practically invited the guys in.

What really scares me about this is that my younger sister drives through that intersection all the time. If it had been her coming back from a late night study party (she's a huge nerd), she probably would have gotten raped as well as robbed. I just gave her my better-paranoid-than-dead spiel, hopefully it stuck.

On a slightly lighter note, I wonder what would happen if someone tried to carjack me? I drive a manual, so I have a built in anti-theft system since most Americans look at my clutch pedal in confusion and disbelief.

There was recently a story about a guy with a manual getting jacked I believe in Florida and they couldn't drive it. :lol2:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I stopped by Pendergrass's office a few hours ago and talked to her aid. Mentioned that we need to address the real threats we face from gun violence like what happened with those 4 kids carjacking and robbing that cab driver in Oakland Mills. I mentioned that none of the new gun laws would help that and similar situations that are becoming more and more frequent. Then I said, "you know about what happened in Oakland Mills right?" Crickets...oh we've been too busy down here to know what's going on.

So in bucolic Ho Co, some teen thugs - high school students - do an armed stick up on a cabbie and the Delegate isn't aware of it. Meanwhile she's hard at work trying to make us safer from the imaginary threats of AR 15's and 17 round Glock magazines.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Nope. They generally want 3-4 police reports where you were the victim or involved before they'll consider you for a carry permit. Being near crime doesn't count, even in a violent area, it doesn't matter to them.

So rest easy, without police reports with your name as the victim, the state says you aren't in danger!

It's only the Free State if you're a criminal.

Yep. You basically have to be a proven magnet for criminal activity. Sad shit

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    This gas station is 2 miles from my house and I drive by it every night after work. Choose civility? My ass? Walmart in Dobbin Rd. and the Columbia Mall are hosts to more assaults and robberies you can think of. Lots of these crime o not get reported by HOCO PD...it looks bad. Also, look at the description of the Perps...what a surprise.

I was told by HOCO PD 6 yrs ago that the area between the mall, Wilde Lake, Tamar, Steven Forest, etc are nothing but Section 8, low income housing full of Baltimorians displaced due to lead paint in their homes....also that Ellicott City was under siege from Baltimore punks driving down the county line and committing grand theft, assault, etc and being able to drive north or east quickly on the MD40 corridor....

I avoid the mall, and if I go I carry.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    I live close to that station as well. My wife goes there frequently. She won't any more.

A month ago some kids starting firing bullets from a pistol at the McDonald's on Cradlerock while my pregnant wife and I were there. I got outta there fast and called the cops. It never showed up on daily crime bulletin. We moved here because HoCo was supposed to be safe...

Aldwyn

Not All That Bad, Really.
    Dec 20, 2012
    Columbia, Md
    Another Stevens Forest resident.

Sure we can flee the area... and go where? Seems like no place in Maryland is really completely safe any more.

Florida is looking better and better.

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    On the bright side, me posting the article on facebook led to a good conversation with one of my formerly anti-gun friends and he's now convinced that everyone who can pass a background check should be allowed to carry. A small victory, but it made feel good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom