• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Give DNR a call pronto. I'd call out where the game camera was too in case the knuckleheads aren't there when DNR comes out.

I am all for giving people the benefit of the doubt for things like trespassing on unmarked/posted property and stuff, but you have to be pretty much willfully ignorant to not realize hunting that close to occupied dwellings is illegal in Baltimore county (and on what is pretty obviously not public land or their own property)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just walked the woods. I doubt they are using tree stands- none there today and they didn't take any into the woods yesterday- plus the trees are all <6" diameter. I did however inadvertently get my picture taken on their trail cam.
    Someone mentioned the woods they're hunting belongs to the condo assoc- I just confirmed it.
    For those who think I'm being anti hunter...
    They are hunting a patch of woods roughly the size of a baseball infield, surrounded by houses and (presumably) doing it from the ground. What could possibly go wrong?

By all means, handle it the right way and call DNR.

DNR's 24 hour Hotline: 1-800-635-6124

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Give DNR a call pronto. I'd call out where the game camera was too in case the knuckleheads aren't there when DNR comes out.

Not to mention, the knuckleheads and their buddies will know what the OP looks like, if they want to seek revenge.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Just walked the woods. I doubt they are using tree stands- none there today and they didn't take any into the woods yesterday- plus the trees are all <6" diameter. I did however inadvertently get my picture taken on their trail cam.
    Someone mentioned the woods they're hunting belongs to the condo assoc- I just confirmed it.
    For those who think I'm being anti hunter...
    They are hunting a patch of woods roughly the size of a baseball infield, surrounded by houses and (presumably) doing it from the ground. What could possibly go wrong?

Unless you took their camera or memory card (I hope you didnt), they now have your picture. Assuming that they are not legal and DNR shows up, they will make a guess about who called DNR.

If you thought it was illegal you should have let DNR investigate.

You are going to do what you want, but I think you handled this in a way that will impact you in a negative way.

I handled it in a way I felt best...
    I called the neighbor where they park- I lied and gave him a "heads up" that DNR was poking around back there and he should warn the hunters. He confirmed it was his nephew and nephew's friend and he will tell them.
    If they continue hunting, the DNR will actually be called to pay them a visit.
    I don't want these guys fined or arrested; I simply don't want them ground hunting that close to children and my dogs playing.
    If they were hunting from tree stands, I was going to ignore the whole thing.
    EDIT- I let him know I went back there to poke around and saw the trail cam.

Unless you took their camera or memory card (I hope you didnt), they now have your picture. Assuming that they are not legal and DNR shows up, they will make a guess about who called DNR.

If you thought it was illegal you should have let DNR investigate.

You are going to do what you want, but I think you handled this in a way that will impact you in a negative way.

I'm an *******; not a thief.
    FWIW- the area they are hunting is about the size of the woods behind Scott's Gunsmithing. Just replace the businesses with houses.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm an *******; not a thief.

I didnt say you were, just gave 2 scenarios as I saw it.

Like I said, you will do what you like but they know you are that guy now.

Maybe they are ok people and will walk away and learn from the experience. I sincerely hope they dont f up your property or do something bad to your pets because if they do the cops wont be able to help you.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    ....and now a LOT of deer will become even MORE deer with no apex predators to thin the herd. Remember that if you leave your development and see a car vs. deer scene and someone is injured. Action/Reaction. The deed is done.

Welder84

Aug 16, 2016
    Central Maryland
    Why? Only one who is going to know is going to be DNR. I soibt if a warden showed up they tell the hunters/poachers "oh yeah, they guy in the house over there called us".

Frankly I'd call DNR. It sounds like poaching. The distance is likely to be safe, especially if they are using stands. It is possible they are just uneducated abou the hunting laws, which safe distance there is no excuse. That said if they are willing to break one hunting regulation/law, what other ones are they breaking it willing to break????

Case closed

Last edited:

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I simply don't want them ground hunting that close to children and my dogs playing.
    If they were hunting from tree stands, I was going to ignore the whole thing.
    They should not be trespassing! If they are, they need to be arrested.

If I lived in MD, I would invite you to go out and shoot my crossbow and my compound bow. I would also invite you to try out my portable climbing tree stand. I think it would convince you that bows are nothing like rifles.

When it comes to safety, a bow hunter absolutely wants to find his arrow. They're not cheap. The broad head and the lighted nock along with the shaft add up to a bit of money. Your kids and dogs are safe. Most shots are only going to be taken at 20 feet, and the hunter will absolutely identify the deer and what is behind it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ....and now a LOT of deer will become even MORE deer with no apex predators to thin the herd. Remember that if you leave your development and see a car vs. deer scene and someone is injured. Action/Reaction. The deed is done.

So violating hunting regulations and laws is cool, because too many deer?

I'd go with advocating changing hunting laws and regulations.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    They should not be trespassing! If they are, they need to be arrested.

If I lived in MD, I would invite you to go out and shoot my crossbow and my compound bow. I would also invite you to try out my portable climbing tree stand. I think it would convince you that bows are nothing like rifles.

When it comes to safety, a bow hunter absolutely wants to find his arrow. They're not cheap. The broad head and the lighted nock along with the shaft add up to a bit of money. Your kids and dogs are safe. Most shots are only going to be taken at 20 feet, and the hunter will absolutely identify the deer and what is behind it.

Bows are perfectly safe, in the right hands. As I mentioned above, I bow hunt all the time in close quarters but I am 100% with squaregrouper on this. People looking for illegal hunting (when there are a gazillion legal ways to kill truckloads of deer in BalCo) take shortcuts. People who take shortcuts make bad shots. People who make bad shots end up with gut shot deer running around. Gut shot deer running around leads to needles asshattery and confrontations. Needless asshattery sets us back when it comes time to advocate for loosening hunting rules like the 150 yd restriction. When we try to get hunting rules loosened, all it takes is one noisy neighbor with a bad bambi experience to set us back.

Basically it boils down to the fact that I think Stevie Wonder can kill a deer in Central Maryland, legally. So I question the skills of someone who feels they need to take shortcuts. Yes, there are a lot of deer. Yes, it close quarter bow hunting be done safely. But the 5% idiots spoil it for the rest who are trying to get the rules loosened.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Bows are perfectly safe, in the right hands. As I mentioned above, I bow hunt all the time in close quarters but I am 100% with squaregrouper on this. People looking for illegal hunting (when there are a gazillion legal ways to kill truckloads of deer in BalCo) take shortcuts. People who take shortcuts make bad shots. People who make bad shots end up with gut shot deer running around. Gut shot deer running around leads to needles asshattery and confrontations. Needless asshattery sets us back when it comes time to advocate for loosening hunting rules like the 150 yd restriction. When we try to get hunting rules loosened, all it takes is one noisy neighbor with a bad bambi experience to set us back.

Basically it boils down to the fact that I think Stevie Wonder can kill a deer in Central Maryland, legally. So I question the skills of someone who feels they need to take shortcuts. Yes, there are a lot of deer. Yes, it close quarter bow hunting be done safely. But the 5% idiots spoil it for the rest who are trying to get the rules loosened.
    :thumbsup: agreed!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sir, don't give the 'nattering nabobs of negativism' a second thought. You are good people. Too many lately on MDS not only must be right, but in addition to you being wrong, the want to crush you, see you driven before them, and hear the lamentations of your women. My advice is Lou45 90%. Call DNR. Not necessarily in that order.
    Nice Conan reference Baseball infield size? The deer would have a good chance to die outside the woods there once hit unless there was a tall fence on several sides. Me I would leave a note on the camera
    I MIGHT even take the memory card with my pic first

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maybe he meant - Remove card from game camera, insert into your digital camera, use your camera to reformat ( or whatever it's called), reinsert now blank card into game camera.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Maybe he meant - Remove card from game camera, insert into your digital camera, use your camera to reformat ( or whatever it's called), reinsert now blank card into game camera.
    Was a joke.. ie. Erasing data like HRC with her server.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom