• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Caveat- I am not a bow hunter and have never held a MD hunting license (all previous hunting done in PA >20yrs ago)

I live in a neighborhood just inside I-695 with a LOT of deer roaming around. My backyard is ~80yds deep, butting up to an ~75yd swath of woods with a small stream. Immediately on the other side of the woods is a condo complex. Two doors down, there is a "soccer size" field which used to be a horse pasture.
    There is nowhere in the neighborhood where a hunter could be >150yds from an occupied dwelling. (Our dog's invisible fencing goes to within 10yds of the woods and they have been barking 'at nothing" for the past few nights)
    Today, I confirmed that a neighbor has people (presumed friends) parking at the end of his long driveway and they are bowhunting in woodland camo- with no fluorescent orange whatsoever. (They are in the woods in camo w/bows, so I assume they're hunting) They don't come out of the woods until ~9:00pm, which is well after dark.

In PA, the following would be illegal:
    Too close to houses w/o permission
    No fluorescent orange
    Hunting >1/2hour after sunset

Is this illegal in Maryland?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I think the yards from a dwelling is 75 yards with a bow? Hunter orange is not required to bow hunt either.

Maybe they were tracking a deer until 9pm?

Without seeing the property it's hard to tell if they are legal or not

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Orange is not required during archery season.

They cannot hunt closer than 150yards to a house without the occupants permission in Baltimore County.

Legal shooting hours end at 1/2 hour after sunset. They can stay as long as they want as long as they don't shoot anything after that time.

The phone number for natural resources police dispatch is 410-260-8888 if you feel they should be notified

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    sounds like poaching to me. I'd call it in. If they are not following the rules there may be a kid in the woods that may be shot by these idiots (close to homes). We need to protect this type of behavior so we can hunt and keep a good reputation in tact. I mean really following the laws are not that horrible.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I think the yards from a dwelling is 75 yards with a bow? Hunter orange is not required to bow hunt either.

Maybe they were tracking a deer until 9pm?

Without seeing the property it's hard to tell if they are legal or not

Fredneck is 50 yards from a dwelling for bow hunting, most other areas are 150 yards. Hard to say why they are out so late without talking to them, but i would agree, maybe they are tracking.

I think its safe to say that most bow hunters that hunt the eveing have long nights here And there

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Fredneck is 50 yards from a dwelling for bow hunting, most other areas are 150 yards. Hard to say why they are out so late without talking to them, but i would agree, maybe they are tracking.

I think its safe to say that most bow hunters that hunt the eveing have long nights here And there

Ahh just for FrederickCounty on the bow.

Maybe call in DNR, what's the worst thing that happens, they check up on them and they are 100% legit.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Are they displaying a hunting license? I think (may be wrong) but the license should be displayed in one of those plastic tags with large safety pin?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Are they displaying a hunting license? I think (may be wrong) but the license should be displayed in one of those plastic tags with large safety pin?
    No.. you just need it in your possession..No orange required while bowhunting, but the 150yd rule may be an issue there.. I'd call DNR if you are concerned. They will check it out.

That said, I am a bowhunter and if they are hunting from stands, they are safe and there is little risk to the neighbors, but... I'd sure hate to stick one that ran out into someone's backyard to expire..

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    It is illegal to hunt or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied building or camp without permission of the owner or occupant. For archery hunters this distance is 100 yards in Anne Arundel and Montgomery counties and 50 yards in Calvert, Carroll, Frederick, and St. Mary’s counties. In Harford County, the distance for archery hunters is now 50 yards, however, archers must use a tree stand when hunting between 50 and 100 yards of an occupied dwelling or other building.

Archery hunters are not required to wear fluorescent orange (see Fluorescent Orange Clothing Requirements & Exemptions) within the regular Archery Season dates. Archery hunters are required to wear fluorescent orange when hunting during the:
    Deer Muzzleloader Season (including the Region B antlerless white-tailed Muzzleloader Season when it overlaps the Archery Season);
    Deer Firearms Season;
    Junior Deer Hunting Days; and
    Black Bear Season in Allegany, Frederick, Garrett, and Washington counties.

A hunter must carry personal photo identification (such as a driver’s license) or a secondary form of positive identification while hunting.
    A hunting license holder is required to have a printed paper copy or electronic copy of their hunting license in their possession while hunting.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    As a MD hunter, here's my $0.02 on the matter:

I'd call the DNR to come out an check up on everything. If it's legit and they have permission at the specified range for your locality, then there's no harm in it and, if anything, will help keep people honest knowing that they are known to be there by others.

My second time out I had the DNR called on me because some darned fool thought that the property line between the farm I hunted and his property was another 20 yards further out than it was. DNR checked the maps, found I was in the right, and told me "happy hunting." If those guys are following the rules and the DNR says they're good, then you'll know for the future. If the DNR checks them and they're breaking regs, they'll know for the future.

But as others have said, no flourescent needed right now, and coming out of the woods after dark is no biggie so long as they aren't shooting at anything later than 1/2 hour after sundown. The only legit concern I see if the distance from an occupied dwelling and whether they have permission.

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    Poaching? Doesn't sound like it, at least they are hunting in the season with the right equipment. 9:00 pm is a little late, but if you didn't see spot lights there is no evidence of hunting after hours.

Unethical? That's open to opinion, but it sounds like you are in a tight area that probably can't support the deer population. Likely the deer will cause accidents, destroy people's gardens, and potentially harbor disease / meal-nutrition. Thus if they are making ethical shots and harvesting the meat, it is not unethical for me.

Legal? Maybe not given your description, but unless I witnessed or felt their actions were unsafe or potentially harmful to me or those around me, I wouldn't sweat it, and wouldn't take any further action.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    From a bow hunters perspective, homie probably spotted a hammer in there and he's looking to let the air out of it. Hahaha :lol:

It is 8:30pm and their pickup's lights are still dark. This is at least the 5th time they have been back there this late or later. It seemed odd that they would be in this late every night.
    Good to know about hunter orange.
    There is no way they got permission to hunt there from neighbors- they didn't ask us and I doubt they asked the 20-30 condo owners.
    If a "Hammer" is a big buck, we have: 2x 8point, 1x 6pointt and 1x slingshot 4point in our yard regularly.

Speed3- Incoming PM with an address you can hit with Google satellite view for spatial concepts

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It is 8:30pm and their pickup's lights are still dark. This is at least the 5th time they have been back there this late or later. It seemed odd that they would be in this late every night.
    Good to know about hunter orange.
    There is no way they got permission to hunt there from neighbors- they didn't ask us and I doubt they asked the 20-30 condo owners.
    If a "Hammer" is a big buck, we have: 2x 8point, 1x 6pointt and 1x slingshot 4point in our yard regularly.

Speed3- Incoming PM with an address you can hit with Google satellite view for spatial concepts
    If you know they are hunting in a wood with no permission . Call dnr.

If they have written permission.. gtg.. if not.. they are trespassing.

http://www.times-news.com/news/loca...cle_54d34a3c-281e-11e6-b5a3-afba86abab75.html

Poaching laws in MD fines had increased this year..

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you know they are hunting in a wood with no permission . Call dnr.

If they have written permission.. gtg.. if not.. they are trespassing.
    ^^^ This... and.. an 8pt could be a hammer (a worthy buck) ;)

lol

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Go over and ask them when they come out. Maybe they have written permission from the condo town-home owners which is a must in Md. but I doubt it but you never know. If they are not on your land it may not be worth getting involved. The other thing is they don't have to ask you or the neighbors if they are doing everything in accordance to regulations they might own the piece and are just walking in from the other side.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Go over and ask them when they come out. Maybe they have written permission from the condo town-home owners which is a must in Md. but I doubt it but you never know. If they are not on your land it may not be worth getting involved. The other thing is they don't have to ask you or the neighbors if they are doing everything in accordance to regulations they might own the piece and are just walking in from the other side.

Haa. Yeah right... Condo hoa? That's funny.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If illegally harvested..could cost max of $20k... ;)
    I was just 'splainin the definition.. lol

I know.. I have a couple hammers in my back yard... but I will only shoot them with my SLR, not my bow, as it's not close to legal... ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom