Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I told you how to change it.
    1. Stop searching for a silver bullet.. while you may not.. many do..and the PMP or bust approach fits that pattern.
    2. I said about 10% of pmp has good value and roi start with that... do not attempt any more until you see value.

3. If you are getting results be candid enough to conceded that PMP is at best only part of that... as Eisenhower said about plans vs planing.. any focus on process improvements will have value simply because of the mindset it represents.

But know also that many would prefer to sell a new process improvement plan of the month.. and that they succeed also tells you to be on your guard. .. is it PMP or is it the fact that we care enough to do PMP.

4. As PMP matures into the must have check box... there will be 2 effects...the self selection dynamic will abate...providing the first real evidence of something beyond the placebo effect
    ..And. folks will bork it up totally since they do not understand that its not a silver bullet..in response industry will discount these experiences and talk about how PMP does not fail.. the users just don't do it right..

5. Brooks called it in no Silver Bullet.. but senior decision makers are well on the way to destroying what value PMP can in fact provide.. the only way to prevent this is to not drink the cool said and call the fad out.

6. It is because I have seen and analised these failures that I not only think things can change but also how..

You must fight the hype.. the hype will kill the good with the bad..

More critical commentary and less boosterism is a good start..

To have such high regard for PM's and their certs, you have to be a programmer/developer?!?! :lol2:

There are good PMs that don't have a cert and there are bad PMs that do... Plus, you're right, there is no silver bullet. Having a good cert, from a reputable org, shows you understand the concept and can apply it. It's not a given that you'll succeed, but I will increase your chances. There is no hype here. It's a proven methodology that works. As a developer you understand "patterns" and "anti-patterns". PMI has gone to great length to work those into their methodology. Agile has done that as well. Yes, they are nothing more than best-practices bundled up into a prescribed approach, but again, they work.

Question for you: Would you go see a medical generalist for a brain tumor or would you go see an Oncologist who has been vetted by a sanctioning organization?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    They are changing the test again.

Last notice said they pushed the roll out of the new test back to Jan 2016.

If anyone else is studying for this certification, what books, online programs or other study materials are you using/recommend?

jmiles1960

Jim Miles
    Jan 9, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I recommend the Rita Mulcahy and one other company... their name and website escapes my mind. I will find it. Rita's books are excellent study guides. This other site has a wealth of free training tools as well as courses and study guides.

The PMP certification and soon, the Agile-PMP, are the best IT PM investments you can make for your career. In the Govt Contracting sector, most companies won't even bother with your resume if you don't have the cert.

The test is all about knowing the book, not the actual "on the job" work. That's the big mistake most people make... you have to know the PMBOK inside and out.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    To have such high regard for PM's and their certs, you have to be a programmer/developer?!?! :lol2:

There are good PMs that don't have a cert and there are bad PMs that do... Plus, you're right, there is no silver bullet. Having a good cert, from a reputable org, shows you understand the concept and can apply it. It's not a given that you'll succeed, but I will increase your chances. There is no hype here. It's a proven methodology that works. As a developer you understand "patterns" and "anti-patterns". PMI has gone to great length to work those into their methodology. Agile has done that as well. Yes, they are nothing more than best-practices bundled up into a prescribed approach, but again, they work.

Question for you: Would you go see a medical generalist for a brain tumor or would you go see an Oncologist who has been vetted by a sanctioning organization?

Please ..... Prove they work.. So far I see nothing but smoke.. And what you call patterns and antipatterns were once called the programers art.. Today they are excuses for non thinking.. There is no substitute for professional judgement..

Not in programing, not in project management not in medicine..

Its lucrarive to drink the kool-aid..I get that.. In 10 years there will be a new fad..and the cycle will continue..along with the project failures..curiously we will be told that the failures are the result of poor implementation. But never poor process, uncuriously senior management will fall for it and the great renaming will occur..probably just as they switch back to centralised systems from decentralized.. A cycle I have witnessed 2 twice thus far in less than 20 years.

You can learn from the past or repeat it..your choice..

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Interesting to me, is that increasingly 'certifications' are being more valued by more employers than degrees. Sure there is a lot of 'alumni' credibility for young job seekers that apply to businesses that tend to hire graduates from particular schools (I've even worked with a company that did that, and it was obvious if you weren't from Yale or George Town you had like a 5% chance at getting hired).

http://www.projectation.com/is-the-pmp-a-better-investment-than-the-mba/

I know several very reputable colleges/universities that now tailor their curriculums, even at the graduate level, so that their students also get one or more reputable certifications (i.e. Security+, CISSP, PMP, etc.). I think they do this for a couple reasons, they want to attract the best candidates to their program and keep earning money. Secondly they want to demonstrate to their students they can get both an actual degree from a highly respected college/university and walk away with the most critical certificates. So two birds, one stone; its a much more expensive stone, and probably a little harder to pickup, but if you throw it right, it will kill two birds and make the hunter look a lot more appealing to 'the more prestegious hunting clubs'.

pp-1177_hunt_club_2.jpg

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I have this aversion to 'certificates'. If someone says, 'I have a certificate in _______', I start to shut down. If on the other hand they say, 'I've done this (and that and this) project', I start to listen. I've done the degrees and the certificates. It seems the government thrives on them. Private industry doesn't. The focus is on the age, experience, and drive of the PM that is suited to a specific project. Presenting certifications and degrees as a qualification can sometimes be a red flag.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    My wife got her PMP from PMI...It does mean a LOT in her industry.

I have a PMP. My company paid for it. It's mostly a scam/worthless, but if you work government contracts, it's valuable to have (particularly in higher level positions) to check the right boxes on your resume. ETA: yes, do it if it's paid for.

Outside of technical certs, the PMP is probably one of the most important certs an IT professional can have. In the past, if you had one, people were like: "You have a PMP!?!?". Now, it's the norm and the response is: "You don't have a PMP?"

PMI has done a good job at keeping their credential relevant and hasnt turned it into a McDojo. The test is one of the hardest tests I've ever taken. In adition, the recert process requires effort. Having said that, there are a lot of people that think project management is a useless skill and you cant do anything to change their minds. But, they are also the ones who want nothing to do with running a project. Management tends to love that cert and that's all that matters becuase they see the value in having a vetted process for running a project. No, it doesn't ensure success, but it definitely increases the chances.

Right now, the hot topic is "Agile". There's a cert for that too and the combination of both is quite the beacon for recruiters. I have both and, along with the experience, it's quite marketable.

I have been a PM on three different contracts, spanning the last 26 years. Was pretty good at it. A few years ago, the PMP certification started gaining momentum for the contractors, and has now morphed into a requirement for becoming a PM on a Government contract. With that said, I can truthfully say that for ME, getting the PMP did nothing to enhance my knowledge base. The course taught us to memorize what we needed to know, especially in some formulas used to measure contract metrics, to pass the test. It did NOT make me a better PM. BUT. You need the PMP now, and that's all that really matters. So...just do it.

I have the PMP as an engineer and PM. I've had it and stayed current with it for the past 10 years. Like others here have stated, many places require it, but it doesn't always increase ones actual ability to be a PM. Observationally, I've seen much of the S/W industry people getting it.

If you have someone paying for some or all of the cost for you to get it, if it matters in your earning ability, go for it. Every year the test gets more difficult from what I've heard. You will need to be sure to have a means to earn continuing education credits to maintain it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Agreed, good points.

Some places won't even accept an application without certain certifications. Maybe they are trying to compensate for less reliable educational credentials.

Government loves making certain certs mandatory. "What do you mean your project manager wasn't a PMP?"

I know PhD's that put PMP after their name, seems strange to me.

I think they are making tests harder, to make the most popular certs seem more exclusive.

It's a racket in the sense that you have to join their organization (annual dues usually), and maintain continuing education credits, which they usually charge for. They can make it harder or more expensive at any time.

Agile (certified scrum master) seems to be the only real competitor to PMP.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Agreed, good points.

Some places won't even accept an application without certain certifications. Maybe they are trying to compensate for less reliable educational credentials.

Government loves making certain certs mandatory. "What do you mean your project manager wasn't a PMP?"

I know PhD's that put PMP after their name, seems strange to me.

I think they are making tests harder, to make the most popular certs seem more exclusive.

It's a racket in the sense that you have to join their organization (annual dues usually), and maintain continuing education credits, which they usually charge for. They can make it harder or more expensive at any time.

Agile (certified scrum master) seems to be the only real competitor to PMP.

I keep my PMP up to date 'cause I never want to take that test again... Is it worth it? It HAS opened doors for me, so yes. Did it increase my ability to manage programs or projects? No. I was established before I took the test, so I was familiar with the concepts. I will say that the test is great at validating your knowledge by applying it to certain scenarios... You really have to know the material and when to apply certain concepts to pass this test. If you try to memorize definitions and think you'll skate by skimming the material, you'll be in for a rude awakening.

I also have certifications in Agile methodologies: Scrum, SAFe Agilist, and will be taking the SAFe Product Consultant (SPC) is a few weeks. Depending on the industry you're in, I think the Agile certs are more valuable at the moment. Combine them with the PMP and you have a good "calling card". Throw in Six Sigma and anything "Lean" and "Change Management", you'll be set. YMMV.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am actually sympathetic to the idea that certs aren't experience - my certs are nearly at the bottom of my resume, and I'm not one of those people who puts "name, PMP" on things. I have legit PM experience, I don't need to bludgeon anyone in the face with certs, they're just icing on the cake.

That said, I am finding my PMP to be a serious asset on my current job hunt. I very much agree that an Agile cert is also starting to become a necessity for certain positions. There's no silver bullet, but MBA+PMP+ScrumMaster isn't bad as they go.

drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    Your call but if it were up to me, I'd put my time or money elsewhere. Master's degree or Ph. D from a good school (Hopkins, Georgetown, UC, etc.). Of course there are people who make getting certs their second career. They have a couple of chapters from War and Peace after their name, PMP, ITIL, blah blah blah...I don't really see the point of making it a career to get certifications, except for resume padding. It may open some doors for you but I question the time/moneys invested vs. the actual benefits derived.

Full disclosure, I'm not a PMP. In my field there are so many PMP's, you could close your eyes and throw a rock and hit a couple of PMP's. Don't get me wrong, I have my certifications in my career too, but I don't make it a paragraph after my name. No offence to those with the certs, that's just my experience, YMMV.

Lastly, to be clear, there are certs, and there are certs. I'm more impressed by someone with a MBA and a CFA, then a Ph.D with a PMP.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Almost a million PMP's on the planet says wiki:

"Project Management Professional (PMP) is an internationally recognized professional designation offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI). There are currently 712,948 active PMP certified individuals and 279 chartered chapters across 207 countries and territories worldwide. The exam is based on the PMI Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK), and requirements to sit for the exam include, a bachelor's degree, at least 4,500 hours of experience leading and directing projects, and 35 hours of formal project management education. A candidate who passes the exam and meets the professional requirements is awarded the PMP certification."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom