• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Hi im new to deer hunting here in MD (i had go hunting for taruka deer in Peru but Geography totally different) and i am looking for some advice.

first off i have a .243, .270 and .12ga slug shotgun that i can use, i will get my hunting permit on Sept 9th, and right after the hunting license, and/or stamp if necessary.

i need advice on hunting tips, and if possible good locations or if there is any group that plans on hunting and wont mind an spectator or another gun..?

i have read in other post about wearing as much orange as possible and i am in the process of getting an orange vest and cap, over my realtree ap clothes i already had...

i am having troubles with were to go! lol i guess thats the first thing i should of figure out before thinking of going hunting..

thanks in advance.

Renz

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    100# of corn is the difference in a good and bad spot.

if you go to state land just keep walking further and further to get away from everyone

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    thanks i am still researching on state land and all the supose to be good public lands but definitely i want to make a good hunting trip if i have to walk one whole day in the woods to have a good hunt then i will do if i have to camp or something is fine i just bought a decent outdoors gps (magellan explorist 510) just as a backup from my phone, i am trying to get all the stuff i can as i read in the forum about hunting, compass, gps, first aid kit, good scent block clothes, orange vest, good boots, and of course as much as i can really afford, so far my pockets are almost empty as the good clothes are very expensive.... but still saving to have all gear before hunting season starts.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    You really should visit the MD DNR site and dig deeply into our regs. MD is divided into several regions and what goes for one does not go for the other. Some areas you can use your .243 and other areas, as has been mentioned are limited to shotgun.
    You'll need to look for state land initially...until you get to know some folks where you can hope to locate private property to hunt.
    You'd be well served to find a hunting buddy to help show you the local ropes.

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    thanks, to be honest i have had check the dnr web thats how i find out about the hunting safety course online... but i didnt really check everything on it, i am checking at every link to dont miss any important information...

thanks

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    DNR's website can be confusing. but from what i understand the western maryland counties/mountains are where you can use a rifle. doesn't make sense, you can hunt fox with a rifle in the shotgun areas.

As far as scent control, I think scent blocking clothing and spray is BS, you can save some money with good old camo and putting your stand in some cover. what i do believe in is a good shower with non scented soaps and wash your clothes in non scented detergent. After washing your clothes hang them in the woods or store them outside so they have a natural scent over your house scent. Also wear knee high rubber boots, it will help eliminate your scent trail and let you walk through standing water. The best way to combat scent is to play the wind.

State land has a lot of opportunity's for good hunting just get away from everyone. their are a lot more shotgun/rifle hunters then bow. if you can't get a bow maybe a muzzleloader. their is a longer muzzleloader season and they can also be used in the shotgun/rifle season and give you the same range as a shotgun in most cases. again not as many people muzzle load hunt as gun.

I wear as much orange as possible going into or leaving the woods. while in the stand i usually take it all off. they say dear see orange as white but i prefer camo.

Most of all you will need good luck. Good Luck!!!

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    thanks, to be honest i saw prices on scent block clothes and i didnt fell for them, i just bought couple underarmour scent block first layer ($70 for both), and scent block pants for $60, regular camo jacket another $80 and first layer warmer pants for $20, gloves and a cap, my boots are keen and those are the only good stuff i really bought for $160 a year ago, now all that compared to $300 underarmour special scent control jackets and another $250 on pants... and they sell 3 different layers of clothes im avoiding the second one since i dont even know if is going to get really cold this year.

i still could of save some money going with redhead cheaper end of the line and probably will be fine plus hunting with rifle give you waaaay more distance than bow.

i am going to sight in my .243 and .270 this sunday to Delmarva... hope doesnt rain bc i was supose to go yesterday...

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    I also wear Keens, but for hunting I have kamik insulated rubber boots for the above listed reason.

I Went cheap and bought the Russel dry stalker bibs/jacket. Total investment on amazon was 110bucks shipped.

Last edited:

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    I hope you arent planning on hunting with shotgun or rifles till november. You should get yourself a bow and a treestand then you can hunt the whole season and not just during gun season.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Try to find recently opened public hunting areas on the Eastern shore.

If you hunt a a public area during firearms deer season expect to see other hunters no matter how deep you go. Expect them not to pay attention to you or your stand and deliberately hunt through. Expect to hear random firing. If you see another hunter, don't assume he sees you even if you are in all blaze orange. Whistle, wave, until he acknowledges that he sees you.

It's probably too late but try to hunt an area where they draw lots and only let in a few hunters per season.

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.
    bro dont waste ur money on sent block clothes. its junk and dont work, sent blocker lost a lawsuit last year for false advertisement. but dont forget ur pee bottle

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    yeah im not a fan of scent blocking clothing either. i have had 2 scent lock suits and after about half a season they would start smelling like paint. i just climb up a bout 25 feet in my treestand. thousands of years of hunting and the last 10 is all about scent free. i know guys who smoke in the stand and pee outta the treestand and have no problem killin deer

hornet

Feb 20, 2012
    Severn, Maryland
    Thanks for all the advice i bought myself a pse stinget 3d and feels good hope is good enough to hunt whitetail, i was wondering if is worthed to add the 200 and go with the pse madness?? The guy at basspro was very helpful set bow and fit it to my draw etc until i felt really comfy, he said he will just suggest to keep the pse stinger is a good bow and if i wanted to go higher end goinf to the $500's would t make much difference, it would if i step up to the $800's now i still have time to exchange the bow but i dont kbow.about bows...
    Anyways with the stinger i was shooting 4 inches group at 25 yrds on my first time shooting a bow and felt good to me.

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for all the advice i bought myself a pse stinget 3d and feels good hope is good enough to hunt whitetail, i was wondering if is worthed to add the 200 and go with the pse madness?? The guy at basspro was very helpful set bow and fit it to my draw etc until i felt really comfy, he said he will just suggest to keep the pse stinger is a good bow and if i wanted to go higher end goinf to the $500's would t make much difference, it would if i step up to the $800's now i still have time to exchange the bow but i dont kbow.about bows...
    Anyways with the stinger i was shooting 4 inches group at 25 yrds on my first time shooting a bow and felt good to me.

No, it's not worth it for the madness, but it is worth it for the Brute. I'm picking one up this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom