• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    My son bought an AR-15 that was used and didn't look like it had ever been cleaned. It had been fired a LOT. Bolt and carrier were heavily carboned up. Tried a long list of solvents but nothing would clean the thick carbon on the bolt tail. I found stuff called Piston Kleen which is supposed to be non toxic. Saw pics of it removing carbon from engine pistons so I thought I'd try it. Poured it into my ultrasonic, turned the heat on and tossed the parts in it. Let it soak for 4 hrs, then turned it on and ran it for 2 cycles. WOW. 99% was gone. There was still some on bolt tail but it was like a black goo and came off with slight brushing with nylon brush. Seems the longer parts soak the easier carbon comes off. Didn't hurt finish. Thought I'd share

Ken

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Wipe out accelerator and then wipe out in a bucket. I disassemble the bolt carriers then throw all components in the bucket. Shake around a little. Wait like a hour and wipe off. Relube and reassemble after inspection. At least that's what I did 2 nights ago. It's my annual cleaning day. Everything gets cleaned and lubed whether I shot it or not. I don't want rust.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That product works but there is no need to clean the carbon on an AR Bolt or Carrier. If you are obsessive about cleaning, using a chemical like this is MUCH better than using scrapers or tools.

Carbon self limits. Areas that have carbon buildup are non operating surfaces.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I found it using google. I like my weapons clean. If carbon self limits, why do gas pistons freeze up? Ive seen it happen. On to the next story.

The gas piston in my M-1 Carbine was getting pretty grungy so I decided to clean it. I put it in a pan of Piston Kleen for 2 hrs and when i picked it up, about 50% came off on my fingers. A few swipes with a nylon brush made the rest of it fall off. Ive attached a pic of it after cleaning, hope it shows up, not sure I did it right. I'd like to try it in a rifle bore. I'll have to find some rubber plugs to sell the muzzle first.

Attachments

• DSCN0329.jpg
      DSCN0329.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 269

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I found it using google. I like my weapons clean. If carbon self limits, why do gas pistons freeze up? Ive seen it happen. On to the next story.

The gas piston in my M-1 Carbine was getting pretty grungy so I decided to clean it. I put it in a pan of Piston Kleen for 2 hrs and when i picked it up, about 50% came off on my fingers. A few swipes with a nylon brush made the rest of it fall off. Ive attached a pic of it after cleaning, hope it shows up, not sure I did it right. I'd like to try it in a rifle bore. I'll have to find some rubber plugs to sell the muzzle first.

My comment was in regards to the AR/M4/M16. The Bolt on the AR is a Gas Piston in itself. Unless you are using corrosive elements or have a NiB treatment it will not seize up if you lubricate the firearm.

I have extensive experience with the AR. Carbon self limits on them. You can wear the barrel and bolt out on an AR before carbon ever becomes a factor. Having a clean AR does not ensure reliable function, it only ensures the human interaction can mess something up taking the gun apart repeatedly to satisfy an urge to clean things that dont need cleaning.

I agree that this kind of product is the least invasive method of removing carbon. I mention it in this thread. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=105587

I posted not to argue with you, or convince you that you are wrong. My post is simply to offer some perspective for those reading and teach them that cleaning does not = care.

Last edited:

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I'm not here to argue either. I carried an M-16 for 22 years all over the world. My sole purpose here is to let the folks know I finally found a product that removed the hard baked on carbon, thats all. It's non toxic and doesn't have a scent and it makes the job easier and the wife dont complain.

Ken

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'd like to try it in a rifle bore. I'll have to find some rubber plugs to sell the muzzle first.
    If you look on ebay or amazon, you can get the silicone plugs that powder coaters use to plug holes. I actually use them to plug the chamber and then fill from the muzzle. I don't do it for cleaning, but rather tested some bore treatments on a couple of barrels that required an overnight soak to ensure penetration. Worked like a champ. I got some from a friend that does powder coating at his suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom