• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    We went through this in my household also. My wife wanted a handgun, we developed some opinions with online research, but going to a local gun store and handling different guns made the decision. She went with a Beretta PX4 Storm. When she held it, it just felt right.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Get a revolver.
    Its simple and full proof. No buttons or levers or racking or clearing of jams. Reach in the safe, grab it, and pull the trigger.
    A .38 +p jhp is a suitable home defense round.

Yes, revolvers are simple but some women who can shoot them in SA mode have difficulty pulling the trigger on DA mode. Just make sure she handles as many handguns as she can for comfort/fit before renting them on a range. Also since we're talking home defense, whatever caliber she can control should work for her, just don't look at anything smaller than .380.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Be careful, if she likes it too much, it becomes hers.

My wife and daughter loved shooting my .22 Browning Buckmark and my Springfield XD9. The Buckmark now belongs to my wife. I was concerned when she saw my new Springfield XDS 9mm. As soon as she saw it, she said she wanted it. I might have to get another one of each. :)

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    My wife is interested in finding a pistol that is comfortable for her to shoot and learn with. The ultimate goal would be to find her a pistol she would feel comfortable in handling and shooting in case she ever needed to for home defense. She is a smaller woman with small hands and doesn't like rifles or shotguns. She's shot my .40 and she is a little scared of it. She has also shot a few .22 rifles/handguns but that's not real smart if home defense is the final goal.

What should I have her try out? Small framed 9mm? 38 revolver?

All comments and thoughts are appreciated.

9mm will likely be the caliber of choice.

As for the pistols, I would stick with medium to large models.

Glock seems to be out, so here are some alternatives: (though a 19 may be worth trying)

Walther PPQ M2 9mm 4 inch barrel

Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm with the 4.25 inch barrel (no thumb safety)

Springfield Armory XDM 9mm 3.8 inch barrel (not the compact version)

Sig Sauer P226 (standard or MK25)/229 (standard)/228 (M11-A1) in 9mm

HK P30 (V0, V3 or V4)

If double stack pistols don't seem to be a good fit, springfield now offers a 1911 in 9mm. (range officer)

If Revolvers are being considered, decent choices would be a Smith and Wesson 686/686+ with a 4 inch barrel or the 627. Smith and Wesson is now also offering a 9mm revolver (986) which is another option.

A couple of things to mention. Ideally whatever pistol chosen will be equipped with night sights. Also it would have a rail which would allow the mounting of a weaponlight/laser. (like a streamlight tlr light or crimson trace laser)

Also how a gun feels in your hand is something worth considering, but isn't the most important thing. What matters is what gun she can shoot best (even if it isn't the most comfortable) (this is where range time with various pistols comes in). That and a gun she can safely and confidently operate.

Here are some videos that may warrant a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B68ILSzggTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RLpiKFWYOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yCD7aGacvU

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    38/357 special revolver. They are simple, don't have the "is it loaded" issue of a semi and require little upper body strength to load and cock. I'd go with something a little heavier with a barrel. The airweights can really kick.

A lot of folks will recommend what they like, big caliber, semi-auto.... It is hard to separate what you want from what is a good first gun for someone else :-( I should never have sold my SP101 that my wife liked better than any semi-auto.

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    Don't get her a sub nose revolver. Lots of people suggest them for women and its awful advice. They recoil too much and don't have a good grip purchase for the amount of recoil they generate.

If she cant manipulate the slide on a centerfire semi auto pistol then QUALITY a mid size revolver would be the ticket. Opening a revolver cylinder is not hard. IMO a Smith & Wesson Revolver is easier to open than a Ruger Revolver but if she has nails she should try both to see which one is easier to open.

A 4" Stainless GP100 or a 4" Stainless Smith & Wesson in .357/.38 Special would be my suggestion. DONT get a lightweight model as it will recoil more. Porting is a good option to reduce recoil.

Stay away from .45ACP, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, 10mm, if you choose a Semi Auto. Don't get a compact Semi Auto as they also have grip "purchase issues". I suggest 9mm LUGER. If you can find one I suggest a Walther P99 or Walther PPQ as they are extremely ergonomic and have small grips. Make sire she can operate the slide though.

This is a good reply. I couldn't (and didn't) say it better myself.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Depends on the purpose for the firearm. I purchased a wide variety of handguns (from a PK380 to 1911-45) for different purposes, don't regret any of them. Opening slides was tough until A guy at 2A showed me the slide hold method.

I LOVE my PPQ M2, is the go-to one. Fits little hands perfectly. Easy to operate and breakdown.

One counterintuitive lesson learned: heavier is better.

Great observation. There's a misconception by new shooters that a smaller gun is easy to shoot. Quite the contrary with the extra weight helping with balance & recoil management. I've seen big guys shoot small pistols poorly, whereas their significant other shot a larger, heavier pistol that fit her & that she could control, much better.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    My wife shoots a Sig 2022 in 9mm.
    She has fairly small hands, but it's comfortable for her and she's pretty darn good with it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yes, revolvers are simple but some women who can shoot them in SA mode have difficulty pulling the trigger on DA mode. Just make sure she handles as many handguns as she can for comfort/fit before renting them on a range.

Yep. That's exactly why there's no substitute for her trying it out in person. There is quite a bit of variability in ease of trigger pull, even with similar guns from the same manufacturer. My wife has tiny hands and fingers and toothpick arms, yet she has zero trouble with DA trigger pull on revolvers we own and keep ready for self-defense.

A similar argument applies to semi autos in terms of racking slides and clearing jams, in addition to being familiar with and being able to operate one or more side-mounted controls in the dark. Familiarity and routine practice are key for effectively using most semi autos. They should be avoided if the goal is to put it in a drawer and forget about it until needed.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why isn't every single response here a revolver? OP stated that this is a gun to learn on and use for defense if needed. It's a defense gun the very first day it comes home without her ever taking it to the range.
    The possible need for home defense is every single day. The range days don't come everyday for learning.
    This pistol needs to be simple and effective from the nightstand to the bedroom door, first and foremost.
    It needs to be simple. Any quality 4"
    .357 revolver.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Why isn't every single response here a revolver? OP stated that this is a gun to learn on and use for defense if needed. It's a defense gun the very first day it comes home without her ever taking it to the range.
    The possible need for home defense is every single day. The range days don't come everyday for learning.
    This pistol needs to be simple and effective from the nightstand to the bedroom door, first and foremost.
    .357 revolver.

Yep, this.

And if recoil is still an issue, consider .22LR. .38spl is pretty low recoil from a 4" GP100.

SP101 in .22LR is my recommendation. She can shoot it a lot, training is the most important thing after owning a gun. http://www.americanrifleman.org/mobile/article.php?id=13851

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    .357 revolver.

Hey you! Don't say what I said. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom