• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Don't get her a sub nose revolver. Lots of people suggest them for women and its awful advice. They recoil too much and don't have a good grip purchase for the amount of recoil they generate.

If she cant manipulate the slide on a centerfire semi auto pistol then QUALITY a mid size revolver would be the ticket. Opening a revolver cylinder is not hard. IMO a Smith & Wesson Revolver is easier to open than a Ruger Revolver but if she has nails she should try both to see which one is easier to open.

A 4" Stainless GP100 or a 4" Stainless Smith & Wesson in .357/.38 Special would be my suggestion. DONT get a lightweight model as it will recoil more. Porting is a good option to reduce recoil.

Stay away from .45ACP, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, 10mm, if you choose a Semi Auto. Don't get a compact Semi Auto as they also have grip "purchase issues". I suggest 9mm LUGER. If you can find one I suggest a Walther P99 or Walther PPQ as they are extremely ergonomic and have small grips. Make sire she can operate the slide though.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    My wife did not like the 40 either. She ended up going the other direction to a full size 45. The round has a lot less kick and the gun has a lot more mass. And of course her having a bigger gun than mine was important for some reason only a wife could understand.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Haha that seems like something my wife would say! :lol2:

CyberBat

Feb 18, 2013
    Leonardtown
    One thing often overlooked with women is whether they have the upper body strength to rack the slide in a pistol. So that's one thing to verify.

I was worried about this - until I was told/taught to hold the slide and push the frame. This totally changed the dynamic and allowed me to use a different strength. So rather than pulling the slide back toward me, I hold the slide and push the gun forward. For a guy who can just manhandle the gun, this is a subtle nuance. But it made the difference for me on looking only at revolvers because I thought I didn't have the hand/arm strength to handle the semi-auto long term. As I mentioned before, the Glock 17 4gen is what I ended up with.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Don't get her a sub nose revolver. Lots of people suggest them for women and its awful advice. They recoil too much and don't have a good grip purchase for the amount of recoil they generate.

If she cant manipulate the slide on a centerfire semi auto pistol then QUALITY a mid size revolver would be the ticket. Opening a revolver cylinder is not hard. IMO a Smith & Wesson Revolver is easier to open than a Ruger Revolver but if she has nails she should try both to see which one is easier to open.

A 4" Stainless GP100 or a 4" Stainless Smith & Wesson in .357/.38 Special would be my suggestion. DONT get a lightweight model as it will recoil more. Porting is a good option to reduce recoil.

Stay away from .45ACP, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, 10mm, if you choose a Semi Auto. Don't get a compact Semi Auto as they also have grip "purchase issues". I suggest 9mm LUGER. If you can find one I suggest a Walther P99 or Walther PPQ as they are extremely ergonomic and have small grips. Make sire she can operate the slide though.

I'd second the PPQ suggestion. From my gun store evaluations, I think the PPQ M2 would be great for small hands. All the controls are right where they should be. I have an M&P pro with the small grip and think it's great for my small hands, but I think the PPQ is better. The ones I've looked at have great triggers out of the box, too. I'm considering changing over to a 5 inch model for IDPA and USPSA if I can find one and enough magazines.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Yeah that is a good thought. She had difficulty racking the Glock 22.

My wife has hand strength issues, so decided on a revolver for her first.

Initially, she went with a S&W Model 60, which has a heavier pull than I thought she'd want, but she wanted a lesser chance of a mistake.

Eventually, she moved into a 4" Ruger GP100 because she liked the action on my GP better than her 60.

She also has a SIG P238 she's getting used to, but only because she can actually rack it!

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If she goes the semi auto route check out the Beretta 92 Vertec. It is full sized so it handles the recoil well. It has a smaller grip for smaller hands.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Try a 1911.

1911 or Browning High Power. Of all popular semiauto handguns, these 2 have the shortest reach from the back of the grip to the trigger. The 1911 has such a balanced action, if you didn't know the caliber you would probably never guess you are shooting something larger than .32

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    go to a range that rents different handguns.. only way to find out what fits her.

I double this. This is what I did for my wife and I got my BIL to take my sister before they made a purchase. They all ended up getting something that fit them.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Look at 4" .357 revolvers with medium-sized frames. Large frame is good if her hands and fingers will accommodate it. S&W 8-shot revolvers in the large frame are especially nice, even for smaller hands.

For something a bit smaller, the Ruger SP101 is very nice. For older stuff, I love the S&W Model 66 and Ruger Security Six.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    As others have suggested, let her find a gun that feels good in her hands. Dont let her be intimidated by the size if it is comfortable. Your wife doesn't necessarily need arm strength to rack a slide, its technique not torque. My wife can't rack the slide on her cougar with it pointed out in front of her, but when she brings the gun in close to her body with the frame parallel with her upper body, she has no problem with it. She learned that technique from a woman instructor....

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

Depends on the purpose for the firearm. I purchased a wide variety of handguns (from a PK380 to 1911-45) for different purposes, don't regret any of them. Opening slides was tough until A guy at 2A showed me the slide hold method.

I LOVE my PPQ M2, is the go-to one. Fits little hands perfectly. Easy to operate and breakdown.

One counterintuitive lesson learned: heavier is better.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Weight is key - more weight = less recoil and easier to control for someone with limited hand/arm strength.

Steel revolver is a good idea. Simple and easy to control. I would get the biggest .38 special or .357 magnum she can comfortably hold up and manipulate. Teach her to shoot it single action first, then move to double action. She can shoot .38 specials out of it but there is nothing wrong with getting a slightly heavier built gun capable of .357 magnum. (You can shoot .38 special rounds out of a .357, not the other way around).

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    My wife can't manage the trigger pull on my S&W Model 60, but has no problem with the M38 Bodyguard Airweight. Go figure.

If semi-auto is preferred, remember the Beretta Cheetah 86; .380 with a tip-up barrel, so you don't have to rack the slide to charge the chamber. Out of production, but still available.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    Look at 4" .357 revolvers with medium-sized frames. Large frame is good if her hands and fingers will accommodate it. S&W 8-shot revolvers in the large frame are especially nice, even for smaller hands.

For something a bit smaller, the Ruger SP101 is very nice. For older stuff, I love the S&W Model 66 and Ruger Security Six.

I second this choice, get a 3" 357, but only use 38 specials in it.

:party29:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Take her to a range that has a lot of options try them all. Pick what she likes.

Not being a jerk tried to help my wife pick twice and she always picked something different based on actually shooting them.

I love 1911s and xds. She does as well but I would not have thought that was there case. She hates 9mm prefers 45 recoil she picked a 40xd for her personal pistol.

Give her a lot of options and let her pick.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Revolver. Why you ask? Because women are incapable of shooting complicated semi automatic guns. All those moving parts just confuse and intimidate them.

I am kidding of course. Take her to a range where she can rent a variety of guns. Let her choose what she likes.

Some of you people should reread your posts and edit them.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005

Agreed with all of the above. If it's proven reliable the new Remington R51 looks like it could be a contender. For a revolver, if you can find an older S&W 65LS get it. FANTASTIC revolvers. Very well thought out and worth every penny. I regret selling mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom