• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • verizonguy

Sep 30, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    So I purchased a new pistol from Gunbroker, shipped it to my local FFL, did the paperwork, and waited. I went tonight to pick it up and bring her home.

Does anyone know what exactly the law is when it comes to barrel locks when taking a new pistol home?

I ask this because I feel like I was forced into buying a barrel lock for my new pistol tonight, even though I already owned one for the same caliber pistol I already had. I told the "kid" behind the counter that I had a barrel lock at home and I could run home and get it. They told me that they didn't think I can walk out with out the lock. I told them I would not be taking the gun with me, just going to get the lock. Again they told me I had to buy another lock. Is this factual in that I can not use a previously purchased barrel lock?

Oh, and here is the kicker. They just handed me the new lock. Never made me install it, let me just throw it in the box and told me to gave a good night. I though the point of selling me that piece of crap lock was that it had to be installed before it leaves the store???? I think they were just mad that I did not buy the gun from them and they were trying to make money off of me however they could.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    I've always had to buy one of those piece of chit locks every time no matter the retailer. Thats the law. I've never left the store with it installed. That's not in the law.

I always thought it a scam just because the required lock was such cheap junk and there has always been a nicer, more effective cable lock that came with the gun from the manufacturer. I broke two of those barrel locks trying to get them to lock. No matter how tight I cranked them down I could still open the action by hand, ejecting the lock. Now I just throw them in the garbage still in their original plastic wrap.

Now that I think about it, I do recall one or two people here claiming that you don't actually have to buy a new lock if you already have the correct one in hand in the store when you buy the gun but I'm not sure if its true or what the specifics are. IANAL.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Take your reciept and your lock back to the dealer and ask for a refund.

I have heard that the gun could not leave the dealer without an approved lock but no mention that you had to buy it from the dealer or that you could not return it a day later.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    You do not need to buy a new lock with each gun.
    That is why I own an Omega lock in 9,40, and 45.
    I walk in with my lock and walk out with my gun.
    I do believe it is supposed to be installed when the gun is transferred to you.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You do not need to buy a new lock with each gun.
    That is why I own an Omega lock in 9,40, and 45.
    I walk in with my lock and walk out with my gun.
    I do believe it is supposed to be installed when the gun is transferred to you.

Best make sure you install it. I cant count how many chambers and fed ramps I have seen boogered up by chambering Omega Locks. The front teeth chew up chambers and ramps, especially of fed from the mag on a semi auto pistol.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    So I purchased a new pistol from Gunbroker, shipped it to my local FFL, did the paperwork, and waited. I went tonight to pick it up and bring her home.

Does anyone know what exactly the law is when it comes to barrel locks when taking a new pistol home?

I ask this because I feel like I was forced into buying a barrel lock for my new pistol tonight, even though I already owned one for the same caliber pistol I already had. I told the "kid" behind the counter that I had a barrel lock at home and I could run home and get it. They told me that they didn't think I can walk out with out the lock. I told them I would not be taking the gun with me, just going to get the lock. Again they told me I had to buy another lock. Is this factual in that I can not use a previously purchased barrel lock?

Oh, and here is the kicker. They just handed me the new lock. Never made me install it, let me just throw it in the box and told me to gave a good night. I though the point of selling me that piece of crap lock was that it had to be installed before it leaves the store???? I think they were just mad that I did not buy the gun from them and they were trying to make money off of me however they could.

I'd return it for a refund too. I don't like the barrel locks either.
    I personnally don't think they make guns safe, or safer. Mine are locked up when kids are around that are not trained or have hunter safety...Both grandsons are trrained and have hunter safety.
    Kinda stupid to put a barrel lock in a revolver, I think.
    Take the cylinder out!!!

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    When I was buying my last firearm, I had it transferred to a FFL in Glen Burnie, MD. I researched the MD approved locks. I decided to buy the Omega lock. I purchased it online directly from Omega. I brought my Omega lock when I went to pickup my firearm at the gun shop / FFL and they wouldn't let me take my firearm without buying another OMEGA from them! They already had my invoice with the lock and it stapled to my paperwork alread. They said it was the law to buy the lock from them. I asked them what law says I have to buy it from you... then they threatened on sending my firearm back. Was the extra $20 worth waiting a few more weeks for my gun, NO. But one thing is I will not transfer or buy a firearm that acts like that EVER again!

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I will not transfer to an FFL that forces me to purchase a lock from them.
    My current transfer FFL says to BYOL "Bring your own Lock"
    and even Bass Pro says BYOL
    I think it's just another way the dealers try to bend you over paying $20 for a $2 lock
    Just my opinion.

My first gun I ever bought was from Bel Air gun and pawn they forced me to buy a lock and not knowing any better I purchased as they said. They charged me $30 for the lock. When I got home the Lock was from the wrong caliber so I called them and said you gave me the wrong caliber. They said they don't have the caliber I purchased and that was fine. I told them the lock won't fit in the barrel. They said you only needed a lock to take it home I don't have to use it. I never went back

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    When I was buying my last firearm, I had it transferred to a FFL in Glen Burnie, MD. I researched the MD approved locks. I decided to buy the Omega lock. I purchased it online directly from Omega. I brought my Omega lock when I went to pickup my firearm at the gun shop / FFL and they wouldn't let me take my firearm without buying another OMEGA from them! They already had my invoice with the lock and it stapled to my paperwork alread. They said it was the law to buy the lock from them. I asked them what law says I have to buy it from you... then they threatened on sending my firearm back. Was the extra $20 worth waiting a few more weeks for my gun, NO. But one thing is I will not transfer or buy a firearm that acts like that EVER again!

There is a MD regulated dealers association or group. I would hope that a member of that group would see your post and educate the shop.

Any FFL's want to step up???

J.Q.Citizen

Jan 8, 2010
    Atlanta GA
    This is just odd to me I have never purchased a gun lock when purchasing nor brought one with me. Where is the law that states it must be done. I thought the maryland law for transport was unloaded and in a case or closed holster.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Maryland Code/Public Safety/5-132:

(c) (1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.
    (2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.

So......if you want the dealer to sell or transfer the piece must have the appropriate lock. If you don't have one, if you want the piece you must buy. Nothing in law that I have read says you cannot bring you own lock. It would also appear that C&R pieces
    must have a lock.

I'm not a lawyer, not a dealer, and may have missed other parts of the MD Gun Regulations. Research the Law.

R

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    C&R-qualified handguns

It would also appear that C&R pieces
    must have a lock.

C&R-qualified handguns that are transferred within Maryland are indeed subject to all of the same requirements as other handguns transferred within Maryland, including the waiting period and the external lock requirement. For such in-Maryland transfers, the C&R license is pretty much irrelevant.

However, in my opinion, a dealer (or anyone else) outside Maryland is not subject to the lock requirement when he sells a C&R-qualified handgun to a C&R license holder who is a Maryland resident. That is because dealers and gun owners in other states are outside the jurisdiction of Maryland law, and no Maryland-based dealer is involved in such a transaction.

ThatIsAFact

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    Federal lock law

Our discussion above pertains to the Maryland lock laws. It should also be noted that in 2006, Congress enacted a federal lock law, found in 18 U.S.C. 922, that provides in part that "it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person other than any person licensed under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device . . . for that handgun." Note the italicized phrase, which indicates that this law does not apply to transfers of handguns to any recipient who holds any type of FFL. In addition, the law contains a list of explicit exemptions, including an exemption for "the transfer to any person of a handgun listed as a curio or relic . . ." [italics added for emphasis].

18 U.S.C. Section 921 provides further: "The term 'secure gun storage or safety device' means—

(A) a device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device;

(B) a device incorporated into the design of the firearm that is designed to prevent the operation of the firearm by anyone not having access to the device; or

(C) a safe, gun safe, gun case, lock box, or other device that is designed to be or can be used to store a firearm and that is designed to be unlocked only by means of a key, a combination, or other similar means."

ThatIsAFact

Phoenixsm

Aug 29, 2010
    When I did my last transfer at Accurate Guns and Ammo I bought a lock since I didn't own one for 9mm. They told me to bring it back in the next time I buy or transfer another 9mm; no need to buy another one

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Maryland Code/Public Safety/5-132:

(c) (1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.
    (2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.

So......if you want the dealer to sell or transfer the piece must have the appropriate lock. If you don't have one, if you want the piece you must buy. Nothing in law that I have read says you cannot bring you own lock. It would also appear that C&R pieces
    must have a lock.

I'm not a lawyer, not a dealer, and may have missed other parts of the MD Gun Regulations. Research the Law.

R

The way I read Section C Sub Section 1, the lock must be sold with the gun, and you can't bring in your own. Many dealers not wanting to get anywhere near violating MD Gun Laws may be reading it that way.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    The way I read Section C Sub Section 1, the lock must be sold with the gun, and you can't bring in your own. Many dealers not wanting to get anywhere near violating MD Gun Laws may be reading it that way.

Read that one again.
    It discusses the gun being sold, transferred, offered for sale, etc... with a lock.
    Nowhere does it mention a lock being sold so as long as the gun has when it is sold you are fine.
    Nowhere does the law say you need to buy a lock nor does any 1 gun per lock law exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom