• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I've been wanting one for a while and finally bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought one from S.O.G. It's in pretty good shape, other than a major stock repair on the butt of the stock. I imagine there was a lot of beaver chewing in that area. The rifle, according to the serial, was made in 1942, but has a name tag under the butt plate of a soldier born in 1935, so it must have been a reissue. The bore is bright and shiny and the bluing is pretty good, but not stellar. All of the serial numbers match. . I paid an extra $95 for the original bayonet with matching serial number (the Swiss put serial numbers on everything). I'll try and post pictures tomorrow.
    I picked up some Wolf ammo and hit the range on Saturday. My old eyes really have a tough time with the battle sights on these European rifles. These are a smidge easier to see than the ones on the Mauser, but not much. I shot a 5 shot group of about 2.5 inches at 50 yards, but I'm sure it's capable of much better than that. I set a gallon jug of water at 100 yards and blew the holy bejeebers out it with the first shot. I can't wait to see the accuracy once it's scoped.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    The Schmidt Rubins are among my favorite rifles to shoot. I don't think you have any problems getting sub-moa groups once you get used to it. I hope you're going to just put the clamp mount on rather than ruin it by drilling and tapping

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Hoping to get mine out this week. Samco had some GP11 and I got some from them. AIM has it in stock right now.
    I originally shot PPU through it and then GP11. The GP11 was tighter.
    I got the clamp on mount from Midway or Brownells, can't remember which.
    Then went dovetail to weaver and used weaver rings. Other than the clamp on, I had the scope and rings and such already.

Hopefully, you'll be as happy with yours as I am. My new eye glasses are comming in soon so I hope to shoot it with the standard sights again.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Yes, I did buy the offset clamp-on mount. I wouldn't want to drill the receiver. It's weird the way it uses 3/8 in dove tail like a .22. I have a Nikon 3X9 on my AR-15 that I'll put on it until I can come up with another scope. Actually, I might just switch it back and forth as needed.

I used Wolf, which was the only box I could find, because my GP11 won't arrive until Tuesday. I bought 200 rounds from of it J&G right before AIM had theirs come in stock, so I paid way to much. Just my luck. I hope the POI changes with the GP11. My rifle grouped okay, but it was originally a few inches left at 50 yards. I had to drift the front sight all the way to the rear (actually overhand about 1/16 inch) to zero it. I'm not sure what's going on there. I think the groups will be fine, since they weren't bad and I had never fired this rifle before. As I said, I almost have to guess at the sight picture with these battle sights.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Get some Privi ammo if you can find it. Shoots great and its reloadable boxer primed brass.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I may have to backtrack. I found my thread and when I want to GP11, I also changed my scope. Only pics I have of shooting open sights is at 100yds and the center of the group is about 3-4" low and left of center.

open sights 2nd pic Post #29 GP11
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=108287

My plan the next time I have the chance is to set up the sights for 100yards and GP11 because that's the most plentiful round I have.

I have not tried to see how much better the groups get when taking time between shots. I had been shooing around 1 shot per 20-30 seconds with the scope.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Here are some pics. The bayonet serial matches everything on the rifle.

Attachments

• K31.jpg
      K31.jpg
      93 KB · Views: 265
    • K31 Bayonet.jpg
      K31 Bayonet.jpg
      100.5 KB · Views: 270

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I think Wolf Gold is PUU. Same manufacture .

Last edited:

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Yes, I did buy the offset clamp-on mount. I wouldn't want to drill the receiver. It's weird the way it uses 3/8 in dove tail like a .22. I have a Nikon 3X9 on my AR-15 that I'll put on it until I can come up with another scope. Actually, I might just switch it back and forth as needed.

I used Wolf, which was the only box I could find, because my GP11 won't arrive until Tuesday. I bought 200 rounds from of it J&G right before AIM had theirs come in stock, so I paid way to much. Just my luck. I hope the POI changes with the GP11. My rifle grouped okay, but it was originally a few inches left at 50 yards. I had to drift the front sight all the way to the rear (actually overhand about 1/16 inch) to zero it. I'm not sure what's going on there. I think the groups will be fine, since they weren't bad and I had never fired this rifle before. As I said, I almost have to guess at the sight picture with these battle sights.

Congrats! I bought a K-31 last month and I am very pleased with it. I have added the clamp on mount from Brownell's and put a Burris Fullfield II on it (3 X 9). I used Millet "low" rimfire mounts, but I should have got medium or maybe high, as the clearance from the rear sight is less than one would desire. I plan on replacing the rings soon with higher ones. Anyway, the rifle is a tack driver and the GP-11 ammo I got from Classic Arms (mfgd' 1983) was absolutely beautiful and shot very well.

Best,

St.243

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I'm looking forward to the arrival of my mount. I got it from Grafs and they're behind in shipping for two weeks. Even though my groups were tight for having never shot the rifle before, I'm a tad concerned about having to make so much adjustment to the front sight to get the windage correct. Then again, it may very well have been me. I plan on taking her out this weekend again, since my GP-11 came in. Hopefully, I'll be drifting that sight back where I think it should be.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm looking forward to the arrival of my mount. I got it from Grafs and they're behind in shipping for two weeks. Even though my groups were tight for having never shot the rifle before, I'm a tad concerned about having to make so much adjustment to the front sight to get the windage correct. Then again, it may very well have been me. I plan on taking her out this weekend again, since my GP-11 came in. Hopefully, I'll be drifting that sight back where I think it should be.

What distance did you shoot at? I thought someone told me (or I read) that the K31 front sight was adjusted for using GP11.

Here was mine when I compared Fixed vs. Scope. I have not shot it fixed since then but plan to when more GP11 comes in.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?307591-Scope-vs-Fixed-sights-today

I like being able to get accurate groups w/ the scope on, but it does not look as good w/ the scope on. The scope kind of hides its character.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I was shooting at 50 yards, but my front support wasn't all that great and I just put it to my shoulder at the butt end. That's why I'm thinking, and hoping, it's me. I can't wait to get the scope mount. I'm 61 and iron sights are getting tough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom