• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    My choice is .45acp and the gun S&W 625. One nice thing with this gun I can shoot .45super out of it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That S&W 625 is sexy. Nice reassurance to know that 6 rounds of .45 WILL fire compared to 8 that PROBABLY will. :)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Here is some more info you need to know Dr. Jones is not a complete FNG, also he is talking about a ruger single action in 357.

Vaquero or Blackhawk? If it's a Blackhawk, buy some Buffalo Bore and let that smokewagon scream.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    View attachment 82483

View attachment 82484

45's in general just seem to shoot well. My m&p45 kicked my p99 off the bedstand because I just shoot it better and quicker. Jer's g30sf has always been easy to shoot well too.

The 460 Rowland is just too much for defense aggainst 2 legged critters, the G30SF set up for those 230gr +p is great, but the USP 45 running 45 super is about the most horsepower you would want in a defensive handgun. AFAIK the only box stock 45 that has the manufacturer's blessing to run 45 super. I run a heavier spring, but it is fairly smooth, not much more recoil than most 45ACP in a mid or compact, but there isn't much that can be concealed that beats 13 X 230gr@1100FPS.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Personally, all things being equal, I'd go with .45acp.

I have and enjoy both rounds, but I think the .45 is by far more shootable. You can shoot even hot loads of .45acp all day long and it's very controllable. The .357 is a different story. Not unpleasent to shoot, but it CAN be. Plus, .45acp can be suppressed. Just my .02.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Have you looked at 10mm?

This. Occasionally, you'll find a Blackhawk in 10mm/38-40 being sold by someone who doesn't know what they have on consignment for $450. Still kicking myself for passing that one up :sad20:

BTW, I looked up some reloading data the other day since I have 10mm and .357 loads to work up. A 180gr JHP out of a 5" 10mm is faster than a 180gr JHP out of a 6" .357 barrel...

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    This. Occasionally, you'll find a Blackhawk in 10mm/38-40 being sold by someone who doesn't know what they have on consignment for $450. Still kicking myself for passing that one up :sad20:

BTW, I looked up some reloading data the other day since I have 10mm and .357 loads to work up. A 180gr JHP out of a 5" 10mm is faster than a 180gr JHP out of a 6" .357 barrel...

I am going to kick you for passing that up!!!!!

God has blessed us with the 10mm

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    Quick question. If you were offered a new type of pistol that only came in .45acp and .357 magnum what would you pick? For DEFENSIVE purposes, not target shooting only. Lets say mag capacity, weight, barrel length, features, sights etc are all identical. There is wide and cheap ammo availability for each at the time, so either is economical. What do you pick? (No, 10mm isnt an option). I ask because i hear people saying .45 and .357 are comparable in terms of performance. "On par" is what ive been told, if you will. Thoughts? Curious because im waiting on my first .357 magnum revolver and I was looking at some Speer ammo i purchased ahead of time....it looks kinda puny..

:innocent0

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Now I have to go watch "Last Man Standing". .45 here Big hole going in, big hole going out.
    Ever see what a .45 can do in the hands of someone who KNOWS how to use it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom