• 66A3B3E7-A3D5-48BD-8074-5A7C72606C00.jpeg
      66A3B3E7-A3D5-48BD-8074-5A7C72606C00.jpeg
      241.4 KB · Views: 97

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Semper Fi

This behavior of squashing people's rights has to stop. I just donated $100 to MSI last week I'll donate again here shortly.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    It’s persuasive. The circuits have been pretty consistent that there is an established 1A right to record police.

Hopefully the 4CA agrees

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Relevant most certainly, but filming wasn't the BIG issue. Freedom of speech was. The 4th needs to reign in qualified immunity. (which was legislation from the bench).

Last edited:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Relevant most certainly, but filming wasn't the BIG issue. Freedom of speech was. The 4th needs to reign in qualified immunity. (which was legislation from the bench).
    And IMO The Bench is one of the first places to remove Qualified Immunity. That would stop a LOT of feelgood "legislation".

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Warming up this thread in anticipation of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit requesting all parties to appear for oral argument in the next few months.

This YouTube video below may be of special interest to those of us here who are Federal civil rights plaintiffs* in the Patriot Picket (PP)/Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) lawsuit.

THE VIDEO HAS BEEN VIEWED MORE THAN 4.4 MILLION TIMES.

NOTE: this video specifically references our Federal civil rights lawsuit at about the halfway point, beginning just after the 7:40 minute mark:

*Plaintiffs in this case - - titled “HULBERT V. POPE” - - include my brother Clay Hulbert, who is representing the estate of my late brother Jeff, who passed away in May 2021 (Jeff was lead plaintiff when the lawsuit was filed in February 2018), me, and all 2500+ members of Maryland Shall Issue (MSI).

Discussing similar or nearly identical Federal civil rights cases and controversies, this video offers an excellent explanation of the FIRST AMENDMENT right of the public to record audio and video of the police in the public performance of their duties, a key element of our lawsuit, currently pending on appeal.

Also well explained is the “interlocutory appeal” - - the legal maneuver Maryland Attorney General Frosh ordered in the Spring of 2021 in the State’s defense of Sgt. Pope in our case.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Good luck!

Filming has been recognized in several courts as part of our first amendment right. It’s not just the 5th, but the 1st and 7th also. Possibly others by now as well. If any case would ever go to SCOTUS I can’t foresee any ruling that denies our right to film police in public.

With so many 1A auditors across the country, I don’t see how LEO anywhere have plausible deniability on this issue anymore. That would be a complete failure in their ongoing training. The $ amount of settlements due to illegal arrests is staggering.

If you can get that acknowledged here, this SCOTUS ruling may help a 1983 case, and remove qualified immunity. They pretty much strengthened QI, except where constitutional rights are involved.

“In City of Tahlequah v. Bond, the Supreme Court reminds us that qualified immunity protects “all but the plainly incompetent or those who knowingly violate the law.”

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals notified us at 11am this morning that oral argument in our pending case “Hulbert v. Pope” has been scheduled during the May 3 - 5, 2023 argument session In Richmond.

The precise day, time and courtroom will be announced at a later date.

It’s been 5 years and 5 days since our arrest, and we will finally see the inside of a courtroom for the first time this May.

B215F85D-C7C8-490C-A374-E6F61F8FA8E0.jpeg

A2A5FECC-5AE3-406D-A13F-9850F48B971D.jpeg
    C78C299D-C0CA-46C5-BE67-0D36A0B15B89.jpeg
    FFF51459-ED0F-4E7F-98FB-2C952D1E38BA.jpeg
    63D23F14-E45D-46CE-97EB-C3425B14CD0F.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member