• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I agree with you about not having to turn them in, hiding them, etc. However, I am not donning the white t-shirt with blue lettering on it.

It is one thing to don the t-shirt, and quite another thing not to comply. When you do not comply with laws, there is always the chance of arrest and prosecution from a vindictive SO, neighbor, etc.

Where does one sight in a non-compliant firearm? Need a private farm for that, or one heck of a basement. What good is a non-compliant firearm if you never get to practice with it? I guess it would be available should there be a SHTF scenario, zombie apocalypse, or a revolution. Then, you get to sight it in in the backyard without worrying about being arrested.

I'm sure the law will be for future sales only, but I just have to say if we're talking about allowing confiscation of something previously owned before a law, just repeal the 2A now because it's going to be gone at that rate anyway.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Officers, maybe. But enlisted seem to have a different view.

I guess my experience is different. I've yet to meet a vet who was anti-gun and I mostly know former (and a couple of current) officers. I know such an animal exists, I just haven't personally experienced one.

Could be just different circles I run in.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    WHAT? No way; not the officer corp that I am part of.

I think it may depend on service. From my own experience, the Navy guys I know are 50/50, the Marines are thankfully 80/20 pro 2A. I’ve only known one Air Force officer and she was virulently anti 2A but that’s too small of a sample size to count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Most of the military officers I have met over my lifetime have been anti-gun in the general population. The exceptions are my two grandfathers and two cousins.

Also, having worked in the DC area for the last 40 years, in government, government contracting and private industry I would say that the federal military contractors are no more interested in the 2A than they are putting a man on jupiter, they are driven by earning a paycheck.

You can see the creeping liberalism infecting once conservative states from north to south on the eastern seaboard and moving from west to east from the pacific coast.

Oh, on your later I agree with the contractor thing. Most of my civilian federal coworkers aren't remotely interested in the 2A. A couple I know of are gun owners, but not generally something discussed at work/happy hour discussions. One or two I know are staunch 2A guys. Most fall in to "I just don't know anything about guns. Oh, you hunt and have had to kill fox trying to get at your chickens? Coyotes? I didn't know that was a thing. I guess you need guns if you have livestock/are a farmer".

It is honestly things like that that I feel like open an eye or two, but I think is also part of the suburban/urban mindset/lack of other experiences that is part of the problem. Plenty of suburbanites and urban dwellers literally have no concept of why you might need/want a gun. For many it is just crazies who'd own a gun or blood thirsty animal killers.

Most of the liberals I know of who farm, or hell, just live on more than 5 acres (so not the McMansion Western Howard/Northern MoCo folks) support the 2A. They might not be staunch supporters, but I haven't talked to a one of them or someone who lives in a rural area and had one of them ask me "why would you ever own a gun?"

My neighbor is an example of a Fudd though. He owns plenty of guns, but he just does a "meh, it doesn't effect me". Hunter most of his life, but he just "doesn't care for black rifles". Doesn't think they should be banned, but he can't lift a finger to care because he never wants one. He is a metal and wood guy and is pissed that MD banned the M1a. I point out any gun ban is ridiculous and still a shoulder shrug.

He did write some emails and make a couple of calls when I told him about the LGQL crap and the regulated firearm transfer/loan bills. But the former especially was a "I mean, it won't stop me from buying guns, just more stupid hoops I shouldn't have to jump through".

A few of my other neighbors are outraged and being calling and writing to their legislators about it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It is easy to say that until you are facing prison time or death. Lots of criminals think they will never get caught.

Do you have a wife and kids that would have to visit you in prison?

Everybody will have to do their own risk analysis and gut check on this stuff.

How many post 1986 machine guns have you manufactured? Don't answer.

Granted, only a coward wouldn't have made a couple already.

I mean, I think I have several guns that are machines :lol2:

But yeah (no machineguns as the ATF defines them or course. Either post 1986 or pre. The later only because WAY too rich for my blood), I hear and feel you.

It would be a gut check for me. As you know wife and young kids. Odds of ever getting caught, pretty low. Consequences of getting caught, pretty severe (and heck, I doubt my wife would ever turn me in, but that doesn't mean one of my kids doesn't grow up to be a bad egg and decides to get a little revenge on his old man or something by making a phone call).

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    It is easy to say that until you are facing prison time or death. Lots of criminals think they will never get caught.

Apparently an estimated 300,000 residents of CT found it easy when they refused to register semiautomatic center fire rifles post Sandy-hook laws. That was the CT legislator's Conservative estimate on how many refused and with a rather draconian by this date or else, became unindicted Felons. They don't even want to talk about the similar magazine registration law.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

They should put Mosby in charge and we will all be safe. By the way I saw her yesterday in Annapolis, followed closely by her hired guns.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Apparently an estimated 300,000 residents of CT found it easy when they refused to register semiautomatic center fire rifles post Sandy-hook laws. That was the CT legislator's Conservative estimate on how many refused and with a rather draconian by this date or else, became unindicted Felons. They don't even want to talk about the similar magazine registration law.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This ^^^ we need to check into this a little more on whatever transpired from it.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I'll gladly volunteer my boat (with a very accurate GPS) to help anybody 'lose' their firearms in the Bay. :lol2: Of course, there's no guarantee that the items would be there in the future for retrieval. :innocent0

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    HBAR or Caliber

So here s a question. So if you simply build uppers for an AR15 long gun in alternative calibers uppers (6.5 Grendel, 6mm AR etc.) does this defeat the intent of the current MD gun laws? Because it would be easier to change my three remain AR15's in 223 to alternative calibers and sale the 5.56 uppers. Or while it is a current alternative it will simply vanish in the following legislative assembly, basically closing every loophole to the point where you just can not have a semi auto rifle. I sort of feel this is the drift. As such is it just as easy to by a peace of land in say West Virginia and just move them there. Or should I just take them out on a boat and have them mysteriously fall into the Chesapeake?

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    There is hope.
    In the senate hearing yesterday the Wicomico Sharif was questioned about his stance on HB0612 even though it was not cross filed in the senate and he stated he would not put his deputies in harms way to enforce it as written.
    Unfortunately I live in AA county and dont know where my Sheriff stands on this??

It would be great if one of the more seasoned 2A active members on here could post a breakdown of all MD county Sheriffs and there stance on 2A rights. If our Sheriff's won't stand with their fellow brothers that showed up to the hearings then we should actively campaign to defeat them in the next election!!

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    There is hope.
    In the senate hearing yesterday the Wicomico Sharif was questioned about his stance on HB0612 even though it was not cross filed in the senate and he stated he would not put his deputies in harms way to enforce it as written.
    Unfortunately I live in AA county and dont know where my Sheriff stands on this??

It would be great if one of the more seasoned 2A active members on here could post a breakdown of all MD county Sheriffs and there stance on 2A rights. If our Sheriff's won't stand with their fellow brothers that showed up to the hearings then we should actively campaign to defeat them in the next election!!

Gary Willis.

wubbabubba

Feb 27, 2019
    There is hope.
    Did anyone in the Senate Judiciary indicate they would be introducing a Senate companion bill to HB0612?

I originally thought that since a companion bill hadn't been filed in the Senate like other anti-gun bills, nor was there anyone in House leadership co-sponsoring, it indicated the Senate wouldn't want to take it up. But it's very worrying if some Senators are already testing the waters to introduce one.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Did anyone in the Senate Judiciary indicate they would be introducing a Senate companion bill to HB0612?

I originally thought that since a companion bill hadn't been filed in the Senate like other anti-gun bills, nor was there anyone in House leadership co-sponsoring, it indicated the Senate wouldn't want to take it up. But it's very worrying if some Senators are already testing the waters to introduce one.

The sheriff was asked if he would enforce the LQL if it became law because the questioner had heard about the sheriff saying he would not comply. The sheriff responded that he had been talking about HB0612 when he said that.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The sheriff was asked if he would enforce the LQL if it became law because the questioner had heard about the sheriff saying he would not comply. The sheriff responded that he had been talking about HB0612 when he said that.
    And he was specifically referring to confiscation in case there was a backwards ban, if I remember the conversation.

As per the general discussion in this thread, I think there is an excellent chance, with the bill sponsor conceding as such, that there won't be a backwards ban on HBARs. Given the piss poor performance by the sponsor and lack of antigun lobbying organization visibility on the HBAR ban, both forward and backward (they didn't join Ivey as they did with sponsors on other bills), I'll keep my fingers crossed that this dies.

However, in 2013, when it seemed that we were winning on a lot of counts, at the last hour, O'Malley, a second termer eying a Presidential run, read the riot act to the Democratic Party leadership, and they flipped on some of the issues and pushed things through. In this instance, we need to be concerned if Bloomberg money and lobbying fronts (Everytown, MDA) decide that this is important to them and put the screws on legislators. The Democrats also enjoy greater numbers in the legislature than they've had in the past.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom