• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    As many as you want, yes. They're legal to possess here, you just can't "manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer" a magazine of more than 10 rounds inside the state of Maryland.

Basically, they're cheap guns. You can get a decent lower for under $100, with taxes and transfer fees included. Since the lower is the serialized part, it technically "is" the firearm. So you buy four lowers now for, say $300 and then later on if they ban the AR-15, you already own them and you just go out and buy the parts that you need to build them (assuming they don't ban those too...), or you slowly buy the parts over time as you can afford them. It's kind of "future proofing" your rifle purchases.

Thanks for the info, it make sense now. Would you recommend getting a couple complete lowers instead of non complete?

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Bloody well said Hawkeye. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree, this forum is probably one of the friendliest out there when it comes to news and really simple questions. It just plainly gets answered and sometimes answered with suggestions without snobbish remarks. Makew me love the gun community and the 2A and only brings more to the fight.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for the info, it make sense now. Would you recommend getting a couple complete lowers instead of non complete?
    I prefer stripped/noncompete. You might want to build a pistol and the parts in a completed lower are often baseline or cheap. You might think you're saving money, but you're probably not as you'll replace parts. You do save a little assembly time, but completing a lower is easy (something that can be mastered irrespective of one's mechanical aptitude in other areas). It's nice to be able to choose your own trigger group and shoulder stock.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I prefer stripped/noncompete. You might want to build a pistol and the parts in a completed lower are often baseline or cheap. You might think you're saving money, but you're probably not as you'll replace parts. You do save a little assembly time, but completing a lower is easy (something that can be mastered irrespective of one's mechanical aptitude in other areas). It's nice to be able to choose your own trigger group and shoulder stock.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Aren't complete lowers cash and carry in MD and stripped lowers are not?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

My personal preference (unless there's a huge sale or something) is for stripped, but for others I would say that depends on a couple of things.

1) How mechanically inclined are you? I would say that a large majority of people, with the right guidance, can put together a lower fairly easily if they take their time. If you're one of "those" people who just manage to mess up screwing in a light bulb (and I have very dear friends like this) then maybe not.

2) Are you the kind of person who likes to just pick something out and be done with it, or do you like everything "just so?"

The nice thing about a stripped lower is that it's incredibly versatile. You can make it in to a pistol, or you can make it in to a rifle. You can choose exactly the trigger, and the stock, and the whatever other part to be just the one you want for your purpose. The nice thing about a complete lower is that (if you buy from someplace decent) you can be relatively sure that they probably didn't screw up the assembly and that it's going to work properly.

Plus, stripped lowers are cheaper. :) So yeah, I would buy some stripped ones. Make sure they're milspec, and from a decent manufacturer. Many of our Industry Partners regularly sell good lowers (Andersen, Adcor, Palmetto, Aero, etc) for around $75 or so.

Aren't complete lowers cash and carry in MD and stripped lowers are not?

I am not 100% sure on this, so maybe someone who works at an FFL will clarify, but I believe that all lowers are done on a 77R. Only a complete HBAR rifle would be non-regulated. While a complete lower has more parts on it, it's still not legally either a rifle or a pistol and should be transferred the same as a stripped lower.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Once you put a stock on it, it's a rifle. Unless you have proof that it had a pistol buffer tube on first.

It's not a rifle until a you put a barrel 16" or more on it.

You can take it home, take off the stock and put a pistol upper on it even while it has a carbine buffer tube.

A pistol buffer tube just makes your intent more obvious. The built lower is an "other" until you put a barrel on it.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Once you put a stock on it, it's a rifle. Unless you have proof that it had a pistol buffer tube on first.

That's a really common misconception. What makes a rifle is the presence of both a stock AND a barrel of over 16" in length. If it's only ever had one at a time, it's never been a rifle.

It's not a rifle until a you put a barrel 16" or more on it.

You can take it home, take off the stock and put a pistol upper on it even while it has a carbine buffer tube.

A pistol buffer tube just makes your intent more obvious. The built lower is an "other" until you put a barrel on it.

This is correct. The ATF's definition of a rifle is "a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger." However, in later clarifications, they have stated that a receiver does not become a rifle until it is "barreled as a rifle," which means that it has both a rifled barrel and a stock.

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    The only problem with buying just stripped lowers is the availability of parts afterward as people have said here. Important things to consider this time around:

1. There is some panic buying starting right now as with every time after an event like this. However, this is nothing compared to what we saw in 2008.
    2. Due to the added number of people producing stuff for the AR platform compared to 2008, I think its highly unlikely we will be out of stuff until November. Unless another shooting occurs.
    3. The closer we get to November the worse it will get. Just accept that.
    4. If Hilary wins you will see a panic buy 5 times worse than what we saw in 2008. Reasons being Obama fooled many people by saying he wouldn't go after guns. Most of us knew he was lying but a lot of people put off buying. Also the people who put off buying were the ones who got stuck paying high prices and waiting. They know better now. Combine that with the fact HC is running on the platform against "Assault Rifles" and you will see everything disappear overnight.
    5. If Donald wins you will see a mass influx of AR stuff for good prices. Everyone who hedged their bets on making money by buying more gun then they could afford will be looking to get rid of the excess.

Also remember what you are talking about here: forged lowers. Out of everyone who sells them there is only a small percentage who actually do the machining. Then there is even fewer forging houses in the US. So you can say they almost all come from the same few places. Same with lower parts kits. You will see a trickle down effect. The guy down the road who only orders even 50 lowers at a time will lose his order to the bigger shops like Spikes who need 50,000. In turn the bigger machine shops who order 500,000 from the forging houses instead of 100,000 will get theirs first. The cheaper it is, it almost certainly comes from the same place. Because it is too cost prohibitive for a company to get tooled up to make LPKs and have to sell hundreds of thousands.

Just get whatever you can afford now, as long as the market price holds. If you see the prices jump I don't see them coming back to normal before November.
    I believe those to be the facts. Do with them what you will.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Don't know if its a panic by but I held a nice A2 disappator HBAR at Engage today. Nice. But I have extra pre-FSA (all have been assembled at one point or another) and post FSA lowers, this is likely to be a HBAR project on one of my post FSA lowers.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    77R question, are most (MD) dealers prices inclusive of 77R costs? I realize it is only $10, but still curious.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Just got back from a trip to Alabama with the family to visit my mother. Figured I could pick up some standard capacity magazines for the rifle and pistols while I was in free America.

Imagine my surprise at Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, etc when I saw standard 30 round pmags for $35-$45 EACH....good grief....price gouging much? Glock mags were from $40-$50 EACH as well.....this was at three separate stores we saw during the trip.

Luckily I found an independent gun store where they were reasonably priced...and tgey had the new Magpul Glock mags...so I will give them a try and see how they work in my G19.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Just got back from a trip to Alabama with the family to visit my mother. Figured I could pick up some standard capacity magazines for the rifle and pistols while I was in free America.

Imagine my surprise at Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, etc when I saw standard 30 round pmags for $35-$45 EACH....good grief....price gouging much? Glock mags were from $40-$50 EACH as well.....this was at three separate stores we saw during the trip.

Luckily I found an independent gun store where they were reasonably priced...and tgey had the new Magpul Glock mags...so I will give them a try and see how they work in my G19.

I'm still seeing $10 to $12...........must be Gander Gouge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom