• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Good to know, thanks!!

PSA: Make sure you remove anything like a micro Leatherman from your keychain. Thankfully the deputies at the Gettysburg courthouse were cool and just held them for me. I just never thought about it...it was just another dangly on the keychain.
    Any time you visit a government facility, treat it like going to the airport.

I almost learned the hard way that it's not just government facilities you need to look out for. I went to a Washington Capitals hockey home game years back and didn't know until I got there I couldn't take my tiny Swiss Army knife inside. The blade is 1 5/8 inches long, and it has a nail file, tiny scissors, tweezers and toothpick. Yeah, that little set of grooming tools. It was too late to go back to the office and leave it there, so I stashed it in some bushes outside the arena and retrieved it when the game was over.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    When looking at handgunlaw.us I saw:

• (e)
      Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    PSA: Make sure you remove anything like a micro Leatherman from your keychain. Thankfully the deputies at the Gettysburg courthouse were cool and just held them for me. I just never thought about it...it was just another dangly on the keychain.

That's SOP in PA.

In PA , anyplace that prohibits carry of firearms , must provide secure storage of said firearms ( and knives are usually also extended the courtesy ) .

Bedford Co CH has ( drive up bank type window & tray ) next to courthouse door . You could walk up OC ING, check your roscoe and your switchblade , and then going and pick up your LTC .

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Any time you visit a government facility, treat it like going to the airport.

I almost learned the hard way that it's not just government facilities you need to look out for. I went to a Washington Capitals hockey home game years back and didn't know until I got there I couldn't take my tiny Swiss Army knife inside. The blade is 1 5/8 inches long, and it has a nail file, tiny scissors, tweezers and toothpick. Yeah, that little set of grooming tools. It was too late to go back to the office and leave it there, so I stashed it in some bushes outside the arena and retrieved it when the game was over.

That's SOP in PA.

In PA , anyplace that prohibits carry of firearms , must provide secure storage of said firearms ( and knives are usually also extended the courtesy ) .

Bedford Co CH has ( drive up bank type window & tray ) next to courthouse door . You could walk up OC ING, check your roscoe and your switchblade , and then going and pick up your LTC .

Right right. I didn't have it with me in the sense I thought it wouldn't matter/I could sneak it in. I meant that I simply forgot I had it at all.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Gotcha .

I had a headslap moment after having stripped off everything that rattled at the car , then subsequently being reminded I could have just checked it all at the window .

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    That's SOP in PA.

I can just imagine MoCo offering such a convenient service for those wishing to enter one of the courthouses or the Stella Werner council office building. :sarcasm:

GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    Just want to say I'm thrilled with the speed of the PA non-resident approval process. I submitted my request April 19 at about 4 p.m. I received approval today April 22 at 2:35 p.m. Less than a full work day. Bravo to the York County Sheriff's office.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Just want to say I'm thrilled with the speed of the PA non-resident approval process. I submitted my request April 19 at about 4 p.m. I received approval today April 22 at 2:35 p.m. Less than a full work day. Bravo to the York County Sheriff's office.
    Maryland could learn a thing or 2 from PA

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Especially Deputy Sugartits

AKA Twin peaks

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Writing this from a hotel room somewhere in SW PA this evening. It sure is nice to cross the state line and not have to think about stashing the Sig while en route to my client’s place today.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Is it easier since it's non-resident which requires home state permit? Perhaps they don't do as much since Maryland did the "heavy lifting." Assuming residency requirements are met, are resident permits more difficult/take longer?
    Nope, It's just a far easier process - days not weeks/months. PA Resident or non-resident, it really makes no difference on timeline. Funny what the difference is when the process is not really intended to be a significant obstacle, like it is in MD.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Is it easier since it's non-resident which requires home state permit? Perhaps they don't do as much since Maryland did the "heavy lifting." Assuming residency requirements are met, are resident permits more difficult/take longer?
    PA basically does a NICS check, and issues the permit.

I was born and raised in PA. In c.1992 (before instant computer results for everything) my friend was a Jamaican national here on a green card. His permit was approved by the Dauphin County sheriff in 1-2hrs, when it took most people 2 weeks.
    As it turns out, INS? (feds who issue green cards, visas, et al) was really good with computerized/online records back then. The deputy said it was really simple to look up his background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom