• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    After church yesterday we had an hour or so free time before the church picnic so I took Mrs. SG to the range yesterday. She loves her little Walther P-22 but began having stovepipes and fail to feed issues almost immediately which is something we've never had issues with int he past.
    Funny enough the prior owner (purely by coincidence) of the P-22 was there. He explained about that pistol only liked copper jacketed rounds and graciously gave us a handful to try out.
    The gun started shooting a bit better but still wasn't going well. I checked it out and saw a small crack just behind the extractor on the slide.
    I called Smth and Wesson and they're going to send me a return shipping label and replace the slide. Cost is TBD but could be free. These slides are notorious for this and I'd be less than pleased if it wasn't free.
    That's what I get for buying a P-22. I know wifey liked it but I was reluctant and should have talked her into a Ruger Mark 2.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
      slide.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 321

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks for the heads-up. The wifey has one and I'll be keeping a close eye on her slide. She hasn't shot it much, but but still good to know. Not a big concern since it's Ruger and they stand behind their products.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Thanks for the heads-up. The wifey has one and I'll be keeping a close eye on her slide. She hasn't shot it much, but but still good to know. Not a big concern since it's Ruger and they stand behind their products.

It's Walther/S&W. Also I hear they fail in the front of the slide alot and when they do, the rear part of the slide becomes a projectile heading for your face.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Any idea of round count? I mean anything will wear out with enough use. My MKIII needed a new ejector and still needs new springs but I'm lazy.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    No idea. The gun shows little wear but since it's secondhand, it's anyone's guess. We've only put 500 or 600 rounds through it, if that.
    I've only seen M-9's with cracked slides never a rimfire of any kind. After some research, it seems the P22 is notorious for this. They make the slides out of zinc pot metal which to me is cheap junk. This scenario and that of my dad's with his P-99 recoil spring, I'm about through with Walther.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Walther; right, gotta keep my gun manufacturer's straight. Didn't know about the quality of the slides on these Walthers. Maybe it's a good thing she doesn't shoot it often. Again, thanks for the heads up. Wonder if it's worthwhile contacting Walther about the concern anyway?

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Walther; right, gotta keep my gun manufacturer's straight. Didn't know about the quality of the slides on these Walthers. Maybe it's a good thing she doesn't shoot it often. Again, thanks for the heads up. Wonder if it's worthwhile contacting Walther about the concern anyway?

Wouldn't hurt. Some of them have a recall on the slide but not for this. You'll have to go to the Smith and Wesson site since Walther is disributed in the US through Smith and Wesson. If you google slide failure P-22, you'll find an abundance of hits relating to the issue.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    they are junk that problem has been known

+1
    Not suprised in the least. It is a known issue due to the weak composition of the metal the slide is made of. It's commonly referred to as "Pot Metal". I've stayed away from the P22 since day one because of this.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That stinks. Which reminds me. My usual gun shop has had half a dozen or more P22 pistols sitting in their glass case for quite a few months. Nobody seems to want one. Compared to a variety of Mark III and Buckmark pistols in the same glass case, the P22 pistols look (and feel) like toys.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I just bought a used one and it does not work. I called S&W and they said that it was out of warranty, but they may cover the repair cost.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I guess I'm alone here - I love my P22. It's dead-to-nuts reliable. Has a great trigger. Accuracy is so-so, but it's not a target pistol (mine's the 3.5" barrel, I haven't tried the 5" model). It functions reliably with every regular velocity or high velocity .22LR ammo I've fed it, including CCI Stingers. My only complaint is the magazine design lets the top round "pivot up" if you slam them hard into the pistol - this will then cause a jam when the bullet tries to enter above the chamber.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    An update,
    I got the P-22 back from S&W yesterday. They replaced the slide and paid for shipping. It took about 2-1/2 weeks total and cost me nothing. Great service. Now I need to convince Mrs.SG to trade it for a more reliable .22 and add a decent HD gun for her.
    When I told her she needs a better HD pistol her answer was that I get the pistol and she get's the 12ga. Gotta love her. She also suggested I build us a headboard with a side compartment for the shotgun on one side and another for the pistol on the other. Off to the shop again...:D

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Street, any idea of how many total rounds (and what kind) had gone through your P22, when the crack appeared?

Also, any idea when yours was manufactured?

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Street, any idea of how many total rounds (and what kind) had gone through your P22, when the crack appeared?

I bought it used, so round count is unknown. I guess I could research date of MFG but haven't bothered.
    My crack was not in the usual spot as apparently when the slides go, it's usually at the muzzle end and can be catastrophic.
    When I called S&W to send it back, they guy I spoke with wasn't surprised at all. He said it happens all the time. I wasn't comforted by that.

Here's the result of a Google search on Walther P-22 slide cracks

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Regardless of the number of rounds through his, it happens randomly. For some folks, the slide cracks within a few hundred rounds. Sometimes it happens within the first magazine or two. For many others, it's 1K to 3K rounds.

AFAIK, it's a problem that has not been solved and goes back to at least 2005. Brand new ones still fail. Some people don't notice the cracks forming and have the slide grenade into multiple pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom