• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Agreed. I used to transport broadcast TV gear this way. But just declaring your gun doesn't keep TSA out of your luggage unless you do it as you described. Use your gun case as your bag, then you can lock it with your lock and then you are much more secure.

I assume you mean using the wire loop for the internal gun case in your luggage?

Yes, thanks, fixed it.

I also declare this: the strategy of the oversize gun case w/ a locked wire loop to the internal bars of my luggage came straight out of swinokur's Airline/Firearm Travel playbook...thanks.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    brought back 6 mags from Wisconsin last year and TSA never looked in my luggage. I was under the impression that if TSA looked in your luggage they put an orange note in there saying that. I have had a pre printed note like this twice traveling to different places and didn't have anything unusual in my luggage. But DEFINITELY put it in checked luggage.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yes they do put a note in your luggage if it is searched. I've had it happen while a locked case with a firearm was in my bag too. My declaration card was right next to my locked gun case.

No issues at all.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Yes they do put a note in your luggage if it is searched. I've had it happen while a locked case with a firearm was in my bag too. My declaration card was right next to my locked gun case.

No issues at all.

If the declaration card was inside the gun case (as is required), and the outer bag was locked with a non-TSA lock, after the TSA searched the whole thing in your presence, the TSA wouldn't need to search it again.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But consider this, if TSA has to have you present to look into your case, they may pull you off the airplane to have you present. Great fun.

Also, you actually have to have a firearm to have a locked case, that TSA cannot get into. If you have not declared a firearm (which the airlines have you open the case and show it to them) then TSA can open the case, and by destructive means if required.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    Cheap starter pistols for track events are great if you just need "a firearm" to justify locking a case. They are mentioned specifically on TSA's list of "firearms."

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    FWIW, I would declare unloaded magazines. Save yourself the hassle of having TSA go through your panties and steal your iPod.

Or worse yet .....

Attachments

• ibrator.jpg
      ibrator.jpg
      9.1 KB · Views: 123

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pretty sure empty mags are considered "firearm parts", which are prohibited to carry on but you can have them in checked baggage.

But yes, you can physically carry mags into the state from another and legally possess them.

IANAL

In my experience TSA at IAD has a lackluster record detecting magazines in carry on bags. KCI, on the other hand, is pretty good.

There may be a lesson there.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I understood that, but if your locked case is inside your bag, TSA can open the bag to inspect it. That was my point. The only thing they cannot do is go into is the locked gun case.

I believe you stated once declared, TSA cannot go into your luggage. That's not 100% accurate IMO.

Just a point of clarification.

Just refers to the container, not the bag, unless used a Rack and Roll outlined. ie. the entire case is your bag

If you put a firearm and a firearm declaration form inside a hard sided case, then, you place the case in soft luggage or a bag...

You can declare the firearm, have TSA inspect the whole thing, put a NON-TSA lock on the soft sided luggage or bag and not have to worry about anyone going through your panties or ibrator outside of your presence.

That's how I travel, minus the panties and ibrator.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If you put a firearm and a firearm declaration form inside a hard sided case, then, you place the case in soft luggage or a bag...

You can declare the firearm, have TSA inspect the whole thing, put a NON-TSA lock on the soft sided luggage or bag and not have to worry about anyone going through your panties or ibrator outside of your presence.

That has been my experience as well. They inspect in your presence and you lock the whole thing. I put two declarations in there. One in the hard sided case, one glued to the outside of the hard sided case for TSA to see.

Zibner

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington Park Md
    If they are 10 round mags your great no need to do anything but put them in your carry on. If they are over 10 your braking the law and taking a fish. But look at it this way you will have a good story to post.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If they are 10 round mags your great no need to do anything but put them in your carry on. If they are over 10 your braking the law and taking a fish. But look at it this way you will have a good story to post.

By your logic, me bringing back a bunch of 30 round PMags from Cabela's in PA is breaking the law. Can you cite/quote the applicable part of the law(s) that state, that I can't bring mags of more than 10 rounds into the State of Maryland?

Also, for the record, I have brought back a bunch of those 30 round mags, a few 22 round mags, some 15 round mags, some 13 round mags, some 20 round mags, and some 12 round mags. All were purchased legally and brought back legally.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

State law has nothing to do with what is prohibited from being carried on a plane. 1 round magazine or a 100 round magazine is prohibited from being carried on. They need to be checked in.

As far as the state law on magazine possession goes, well I'll let you go look it up. You should really do some reading.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

You might want to read this CALGUNS thread where one of the CALGUNS Mods explains his experience. I have read many other similar stories where TSA WILL open your bag that has a declared gun in it.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=912511

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    First, thanks for contributing to the discussion.

When I hear about the types of claims you reference. I first wonder how accurately they ate reported. Then, I wonder if the traveller really followed the proper procedure.

IMHO, which has been somewhere between 20-22 round trip flights, the TSA has no interest in searching a bag that has already been X-ray"d and searched upon check-in. The only time this fails is when you get ignorant TSA agents, or the bag tag falls off.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!!!

No matter what you do... keep the original receipt! Make multiple copies, and laminate some of them.

I've got one copy in a drawer upstairs, and the originals, plus copies, in every safe.

This way when someone charges your for a crime, it's dismissed when you give them the DATED RECEIPT FROM OUT OF STATE.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!!!

No matter what you do... keep the original receipt! Make multiple copies, and laminate some of them.

I've got one copy in a drawer upstairs, and the originals, plus copies, in every safe.

This way when someone charges your for a crime, it's dismissed when you give them the DATED RECEIPT FROM OUT OF STATE.

What about the 50 other mags we had before 10/1? You have to give me a crime scenario when you would have to prove when and where you purchased mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom