• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    So....

Hypothetically...

I get picked up for something. No clue what. During the course of processing me, the officer finds that I am [otherwise] legally transporting my father's old Iver Johnson break-top .22 revolver.

Could I then be...

charged with Possession of an Unregistered Firearm

It was not purchased as a "Regulated Firearm"........

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Is there a way to track the number of arrests for a firearm charge compared to the number of prosecutions and the number of arrests vs a reduced charge/drop?

I'd love to start holding the prosecutors offices feet to the fire - but need the data Shamr0ck

I guess you could use Maryland Judiciary Search and track each one, very time consuming though. Here's one if you want to see how they play the court game http://smnewsnet.com/archives/39829 Convicted drug dealer on work release stopped with loaded handgun (serial number scratched out) Used all the tricks to delay the case in district court, now it's waiting for circuit court in August

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    What constitutes an "unregistered firearm" in a state that claims it does not register firearms?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    What constitutes an "unregistered firearm" in a state that claims it does not register firearms?

I have no idea what they charged him with but there's no charge for "unregistered firearm" in the MD Code. (as of now, wait until Oct. 1)

Perhaps charged with illegal possession of a regulated firearm, and someone didn't know exactly what they were talking about when they wrote the press release.

Relatively small stories like that the media usually just takes the police department's press release and rewords it, they don't do much if any looking into the story themselves.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I have no idea what they charged him with but there's no charge for "unregistered firearm" in the MD Code. (as of now, wait until Oct. 1)

Perhaps charged with illegal possession of a regulated firearm, and someone didn't know exactly what they were talking about when they wrote the press release.

Relatively small stories like that the media usually just takes the police department's press release and rewords it, they don't do much if any looking into the story themselves.
    Attaching this for reference - Maier's case from Maryland Judiciary Case Search:

Attachments

• Maier Charge Sheet.jpg
      Maier Charge Sheet.jpg
      99.4 KB · Views: 143

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    What is "possession of an unregistered firearm"? Maryland doesn't have mandatory firearm registration. :innocent0

Most of the firearms that I own are unregistered.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Someone needs to make a bumper sticker, “People’s Republic of Maryland, soft on crime, hard on citizens.” Things would sell like hot cakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom