• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Oooops. Was trying to cut something - I was holding the thing to be cut with my left hand, opened the Microtech Glykon with my right and the tip of the blade found its way into my left thumb. The blade is very sharp, so is the tip. It felt great! Surprised how much it bled.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I did something similar about 45 years ago and the put three stiches in my thumb. A week before that I had three stiches in my left index finger from a similar mishap. I was working on any RC model boat. The doctor at the emergency room told me to get a different hobby.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    The Glycon "bit" you as they say in the knife community. No one judges you for getting bitten because it happens to everyone. And it's bad juju. You can bet as soon as you laugh at someone getting bitten, it'll happen to you. I've been watching the knifetubers and it's not unusual for them to show up on camera with bandaids on. I've even seen them get bitten on camera. These guys spend hours with knives in their hands for various reasons (testing, reviewing, videotaping, or just fidgeting).

The other thing you learn is to not try to catch a knife that you've lost control of. Just let it drop to the ground.

All Microtechs are wicked sharp out-of-the-box.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not a knife, but a couple of years ago I was working on a metal wiring box and took my gloves off because I couldn't fit my hand in to get an NM press fit, fitting in. And I thought "I bet this is the time I cut myself on something sharp.

YUP! Slipped and sliced the pad of my thumb. Some nice veinous bleeding dripping blood as I walked fast across the basement, up the steps into the master bathroom to grab the first aid stuff. I still managed to drip everywhere even putting pressure on it with my hand and shirt. A bit of quickclot got it stopped in a few seconds. No stitches, though I am sure if I went to urgent care they would have put at least 3 or 4 on it.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    And I thought "I bet this is the time I cut myself on something sharp.

YUP! Slipped and sliced the pad of my thumb.
    Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Self talk is a real thing, like target fixation.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Not a knife, but a couple of years ago I was working on a metal wiring box and took my gloves off because I couldn't fit my hand in to get an NM press fit, fitting in. And I thought "I bet this is the time I cut myself on something sharp.

YUP! Slipped and sliced the pad of my thumb. Some nice veinous bleeding dripping blood as I walked fast across the basement, up the steps into the master bathroom to grab the first aid stuff. I still managed to drip everywhere even putting pressure on it with my hand and shirt. A bit of quickclot got it stopped in a few seconds. No stitches, though I am sure if I went to urgent care they would have put at least 3 or 4 on it.

Yup. A couple of years ago, I was fixing my dishwasher, I was twisting my hand inside and the flat of my hand was against a sharp metal piece. It might as well have been a knife. It cut me badly and deeply. Probably the worst cut of my life. That one hurt.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I stabbed under the pinky nail on my left hand Saturday.
    Nothing as sexy as a knife. Stupid fork.
    Wasn't paying attention and was hurrying unloading utensils from dishwasher.

It hurts.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    it's "dirt" damnit! Rub dirt in it.

JKing.

OP, I really hope it heals well without a gangrenous infection that requires amputation.

...but if it does, sounds like you have the proper tool for the task. :thumbsup:

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    We want to see the knife

That I can do.
    IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics